Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

We gave up far too much for these two. Both in terms of draft capital, and the amount of years we’ve locked these two in for. They’re already not stellar athletes, how are they going to look in year 6-7 of their deals?

This was pure Hardwick hubris. Someone in the room needed to emphasise better self-scouting, been a bit more critical and objective. We were a team on the decline even then - yes midfield was a weakness but 2 veterans weren’t going to make the difference.
Define stellar athlete. Taranto wins every time-trial and runs all day both ways in games. Because he can butcher it occasionally is not an athletic issue. Surely we are not just recruiting stellar athletes - Lambert, Edwards etc were not stellar athletes, neither was Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting comments about Ralphsmith. Dimma turned us around with an approach of establishing a game plan that matched players’ strengths. Netted us 3 flags. Seems he didn’t do the same with the next gen. I wonder what changed?
Don’t know but one of the examples he gave was his role in helping Alex Neal-Bullen become a regular player. He said he designed a role for him based on what Dimma had done with Kane Lambert.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting comments about Ralphsmith. Dimma turned us around with an approach of establishing a game plan that matched players’ strengths. Netted us 3 flags. Seems he didn’t do the same with the next gen. I wonder what changed?
Maybe he never connected with the next gen?

Who knows?

No need to name names here.
But it seems some have febrile minds.
The Land Of Make Believe Wow GIF

We gave up far too much for these two. Both in terms of draft capital, and the amount of years we’ve locked these two in for. They’re already not stellar athletes, how are they going to look in year 6-7 of their deals?

This was pure Hardwick hubris. Someone in the room needed to emphasise better self-scouting, been a bit more critical and objective. We were a team on the decline even then - yes midfield was a weakness but 2 veterans weren’t going to make the difference.
Taranto was pic 2 and Hopper pic 7 and we have them for the prime of their playing years on contract amounts which are very reasonable when you look at the length of their contracts.

Neither are speedsters but Taranto runs all day and Hopper has no trouble getting from contest to contest (when fit).

I would have loved to have kept pic 12 but you have to give something to get a player like Taranto, so there’s no ‘cheap’ way of getting it done.

Regarding the team being in decline, we were one shambolic, corrupt arc decision and a goal square defensive lapse away from winning an elimination final in 22, after which anything could have happened.

So the reasoning behind the ‘top up’ to go again was not that hard to understand, though easy to be extremely critical of in hindsight.

What’s compounded our current situation is how quickly some of our senior premiership players have declined, and that our younger brigade is progressing slower than we’d like or need.

And let’s not forget that we had pics 9, 17, 28, 29 & 30 in 2021.

Taranto & Hopper are nowhere near our biggest problems or the reasons we are where we are.

Reactions: 10 users
First year coach saddled with a poor list and even worse injury list.

And yet this thread keeps a-rollin’

Reactions: 9 users
Those brandishing the pitchforks might need to wait a while.

Brendan Gale has talked at length about a coach growing with the players and not necessarily needing to be the all-conquering guru right off the bat.

This is how it unfolded with Dimma, particularly through the crucible of 2016, a year that effectively forged a club that could win flags.

You can bet Gale and the selection committee went into the recruitment process with this concept front of mind.

Yze will get more than his first three years to turn our fortunes around.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is destined to be holding that pitchfork like a *smile* idiot for an entertainingly long time. I’m all about it.

Reactions: 12 users
Taranto was pic 2 and Hopper pic 7 and we have them for the prime of their playing years on contract amounts which are very reasonable when you look at the length of their contracts.

Neither are speedsters but Taranto runs all day and Hopper has no trouble getting from contest to contest (when fit).

I would have loved to have kept pic 12 but you have to give something to get a player like Taranto, so there’s no ‘cheap’ way of getting it done.

Regarding the team being in decline, we were one shambolic, corrupt arc decision and a goal square defensive lapse away from winning an elimination final in 22, after which anything could have happened.

So the reasoning behind the ‘top up’ to go again was not that hard to understand, though easy to be extremely critical of in hindsight.

What’s compounded our current situation is how quickly some of our senior premiership players have declined, and that our younger brigade is progressing slower than we’d like or need.

And let’s not forget that we had pics 9, 17, 28, 29 & 30 in 2021.

Taranto & Hopper are nowhere near our biggest problems or the reasons we are where we are.
Perfectly said

Really good chat with Isaac Smith about coaching...especially the last 6 minutes.

Reactions: 3 users
I can see hes trying to make players earn there spot but *smile* me we are wasting this year, playing guys that have no future at the club is just idiotic. Watch this peanut win the last 4 games of the year and *smile* cost us a gun talent just to save face and protect his reputation. We need to act now not in 10 years when this *smile* goes pear shaped blind Freddy can see we need a rebuild we aren't geelong !!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Instead of hammering the coach, I would think the MC has to answer for the continual weird selections when they stick with players who are not (yet) at AFL level at the expense of other cubs who are showing something in their potential at VFL level

It was an interesting podcast. He said he didn't want to bottom out for five years because you might not make it back. We might not have a choice given the state of our list.

We're relying on Koschitzke and Balta to be our key forwards. Never going to be a successful year when they are 1-1-2.
That's BH's fault. Poor post Jack succession planning. Yep I get it most likely will take generations to find another KPF of Jack's calibre, but it was always going to end in tears with his departure and Major Tom's susceptibility to injury for some time now.

He still doesn't get it does he?
I suppose he can't come out and say the list is no good. He needs to sell hope to the players. I think most fans can see the hole we are in though. We simply must nail this year's draft. Not just our first pick as well.

I suppose he can't come out and say the list is no good. He needs to sell hope to the players. I think most fans can see the hole we are in though. We simply must nail this year's draft. Not just our first pick as well.
Yze reportedly sold hope that we wouldn't bottom out to the board when he was interviewed for the job. If so, he should be under more pressure internally as a result by the board IMO, despite it being his first year and will probably be given 3 years irrespective of ladder outcomes. The pressure will obviously only continue to grow with every proceeding season.

I was hoping our incoming coach had the plan to rebuild on the run as it was obvious to me the premiership window had passed and our next generation is found wanting. The sooner we realise this the sooner we can give ourselves a shot at long term success again.

Not only do we need to nail this coming draft with at least 2 top 10 players in the side (long term), we'll need to nail the following draft even more so given Tassie's arrival.

That's BH's fault. Poor post Jack succession planning. Yep I get it most likely will take generations to find another KPF of Jack's calibre, but it was always going to end in tears with his departure and Major Tom's susceptibility to injury for some time now.
I think it's partly Dimmas fault.

We had irons in the fire. They were keen to sign. But when he quit, they withdrew.
So we had to go get someone quickly.

Yze reportedly sold hope that we wouldn't bottom out to the board when he was interviewed for the job. If so, he should be under more pressure internally as a result by the board IMO, despite it being his first year and will probably be given 3 years irrespective of ladder outcomes. The pressure will obviously only continue to grow with every proceeding season.

I was hoping our incoming coach had the plan to rebuild on the run as it was obvious to me the premiership window had passed and our next generation is found wanting. The sooner we realise this the sooner we can give ourselves a shot at long term success again.

Not only do we need to nail this coming draft with at least 2 top 10 players in the side (long term), we'll need to nail the following draft even more so given Tassie's arrival.
According to someone I know, they expected to be competitive this year, last role of the dice. I posted that same thing earlier this year - the info coming from a listed player.
Lynch, Martin, Prestia all looking to have had good pre-seasons and expected to do well. Prestia in particular hadn't done this much work in a preseason in a long time.
But, Yze said its a risk, and you'll need to rebuild after this year. I think there's potential we've tried to keep a Dimma style of game to support that, hence keeping some of the assistants. That may change next year.
If you go back to his speeches and interviews, he hinted at it regularly saying there was going to be some "bumps" and "hard times along the way", but he hoped Tigers fans would see a competitive side they could be proud of.
I think the injury toll this year, was unforeseeable. It's horrific. But we've appeared to add to those woes ourselves. They've definitely overrated a couple of players I believe they thought would be impacting more.
So many risks, so many backfires.

Reactions: 6 users