Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

Correct. In 2010 Dimma inherited a list some said was worse the Fitzroy. In terms of senior experienced players Yze has much more to work with than Dimma ever had in his first year. But Dimma made us competitive right away and had certain expectations and non negotiables. He implemented a strong defensive game plan straight away and managed 6 wins with a percentage of 73%. 2 wins and the spoon is a disastrous start to Yzes coaching career as it's an indicator of the standards he's set right away.
I agree that Yze has more talent at his disposal than Dimma’s first year, especially related to established players.
On the list, not on the park.
On the park it is the other way around

Reactions: 6 users
Its not disrespecting. Taking down monuments to former glories is new coach move 101. If some aren't happy with it, and I doubt any are, thats their problem.
Rubbish.New coach move 101.lol
If it was a 101 move why did Yze comeout and justify it in the first place?
Kept it in house so too speak.
He knew it was a bold move and its now backfired.
Disrespect our past and this what happens.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
'Pissed off' sounds like hyperbole for effect.
It was Jack Riewoldt that first suggested it in his book anyway.
There's still plenty of recognition of that era up on the walls at punt road. Just not in the GM room where team meetings are held.
The young players that weren't part of that era won't be pissed off which was it's purpose. I doubt many who were aren't even giving it a second thought after several months.

There's far bigger issues than that at hand.
Removal and the message along with it was directed at the senior players.
I ask you this whats so wrong with our past success that makes you take them down in the first place?
Shouldn't the message be i want you guys to be on that wall?
Anyway i call it disrespecting.

Rubbish.New coach move 101.lol
If it was a 101 move why did Yze comeout and justify it in the first place?
Kept it in house so too speak.
He knew it was a bold move and its now backfired.
Disrespect our past and this what happens.
Rubbish. No bearing on where we are. If it has had any bearing, thats a real problem. If we were winning it would be a genius move.

Its actually a no-brainer move.

Reactions: 4 users
Rubbish. No bearing on where we are. If it has had any bearing, thats a real problem. If we were winning it would be a genius move.

Its actually a no-brainer move.
And we're not winning but thats not the issue.Injury has had the biggest bearing this year but its the mindset of our senior players thats the worry.Is it coincidence that all senior players have stagnated.I think not.

And we're not winning but thats not the issue.Injury has had the biggest bearing this year but its the mindset of our senior players thats the worry.Is it coincidence that all senior players have stagnated.I think not.
There are very clear and explicable reasons for why we are not winning, a paint job isn't one of them.

• Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
Removal and the message along with it was directed at the senior players.
I ask you this whats so wrong with our past success that makes you take them down in the first place?
Shouldn't the message be i want you guys to be on that wall?
Anyway i call it disrespecting.

What nonsense, Jack Riewoldt mentioned this very issue in his book (which was published before Yze got the coaching job) He said he thought that it was wrong for those pictures to be so prominent in the Graeme Richmond room where team meetings are held. Said that he thought it disrespected the younger players who needed forge their own destiny at the club.

Reactions: 11 users
Coming into this year I didn't think we would play finals, because:

- We had only added Kosi to a list that didn't make finals last year
- Our youth has no top end talent to fill the void of highly talented recently retired/aging players
- Our older players, were one year older (Prestia was finished in 2023, Martin on the decline, Lynch and Grimes constantly injured).

We were clearly in a downward trajectory, there was no meaningful change other than the possible return of a fit Tom Lynch.

My first red flag with Yze and the team was that like just like in 2023, Prestia, Taranto and Hopper were our starting midfielders. It was clear that setup was too slow in 2023 yet we've gone with it again in 2024. Yze wanted Bolton to play more forward when our midfield was crying out for some speed and evasiveness. Having siad that, other than Bolton, the cupboard is empty when it comes to midfielders with speed, so Yze has limited midfield weapons at his disposal, especially on the spread from a contest.

We then lose Gibcus, Lynch and the injuries proceed to mount weekly.

Finals fade and senior players who have tasted success probably drop away a bit, age, motivation not 100%.

We also have half the list out of contract and with that you can get selfishness more than team cohesion, players playing for themselves and their next contract to avoid the scrapheap. Also players with one foot out the door returning to their home state.

Losses mount, as do injuries, confidence drops, players go into their shell, try and save their careers, coaches try and plug holes.

Can Yze coach, I don't know, but he's had to deal with an excrement sandwich this year.

The glory days are over, they were at the end of 2022 and arguably in 2021. We zigged (Hopper/Tarranto) when we should've zagged (hit the draft). This has set us back as has the lack of quality kids coming through.

There are more dark days ahead, likely very dark, hopefully we have the players and staff who want to roll their sleeves up and get on with the job.

Yze talking about Prestia going on next year on 360 is a serious concern, I also think it's time for Martin to finish up too. He can still do the occasional amazing but we can't cover and carry his ever increasing lack of defensive efforts. If he was struggling for motivation in 2018, just imagine how much he is struggling now with everything that's happened on and off the field.

Finally, if any premiership player has their knickers in a knot because the premiership murals were moved from the meeting room to the museum or wherever, then they should have a good hard look at themselves (surely they wouldn't be so petty).

Reactions: 9 users
'Pissed off' sounds like hyperbole for effect.
It was Jack Riewoldt that first suggested it in his book anyway.
There's still plenty of recognition of that era up on the walls at punt road. Just not in the GM room where team meetings are held.
The young players that weren't part of that era won't be pissed off which was it's purpose. I doubt many who were aren't even giving it a second thought after several months.

There's far bigger issues than that at hand.
The day after it happened
I can tell you players were peeved
We pride our club with values which in recent times have been thrown into the bin
To have a “ newbie “ lay down the law against the wishes of many wasn’t good for those who had 3 medals around the neck
Maybe an approach of getting them onboard and engaging with them would of been a better away to get those on board
Instead after one month players instructed managers to look an options in 2025
Yes there are huge problems at punt Rd
Nobody thought we would be on the bottom
But you find some players have already checked .out . Suggest Baker and Fridge have
Remember Fridge was earmarked as a potential captain 2 years ago
Will be gone at years end
Then we have at least 6 young players who cannot take the next step
Poor development
The terminology of getting games into younger players doesn’t necessarily mean they will make it
Take Cumberland and Dow
Both gone backwards
Ryan as well

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
People went for me over the "moving" of the premiership pics.While it may seem not much of an issue.Imagine being one of our listed premiership guys on what kind of message is it sending them?Well lets just say the extra mile they'd do for Dimma they're not doing it for Yze.

Yes I'm sure that is the root cause of all our problems

The day after it happened
I can tell you players were peeved
We pride our club with values which in recent times have been thrown into the bin
To have a “ newbie “ lay down the law against the wishes of many wasn’t good for those who had 3 medals around the neck
Maybe an approach of getting them onboard and engaging with them would of been a better away to get those on board
Instead after one month players instructed managers to look an options in 2025
Yes there are huge problems at punt Rd
Nobody thought we would be on the bottom
But you find some players have already checked .out . Suggest Baker and Fridge have
Remember Fridge was earmarked as a potential captain 2 years ago
Will be gone at years end
Then we have at least 6 young players who cannot take the next step
Poor development
The terminology of getting games into younger players doesn’t necessarily mean they will make it
Take Cumberland and Dow
Both gone backwards
Ryan as well

sterquilinium

• Haha
We zigged (Hopper/Tarranto) when we should've zagged (hit the draft). This has set us back as has the lack of quality kids coming through.
I’m happy to admit I was for it at the time as I thought they had every right to try; it didn’t pan out and that’s sometimes the result of decisions that involve great risk and reward. You don’t always end up on the side you want.

And I agree that the midfield since, (especially with Prestia being unable to stay on the field) is too one paced.

However I take the view (as some have argued in here), that despite the midfield being unbalanced atm and losing pics as part of the trades, it netted us two quality senior players that can provide mature bodies and assistance on field as we rebuild.

And there were no guarantees (as there never are) on the long term net result on the players that would have been taken (that would also require years to develop).

Reactions: 7 users
I’m happy to admit I was for it at the time as I thought they had every right to try; it didn’t pan out and that’s sometimes the result of decisions that involve great risk and reward. You don’t always end up on the side you want.

And I agree that the midfield since, (especially with Prestia being unable to stay on the field) is too one paced.

However I take the view (as some have argued in here), that despite the midfield being unbalanced atm and losing pics as part of the trades, it netted us two quality senior players that can provide mature bodies and assistance on field as we rebuild.

And there were no guarantees (as there never are) on the long term net result on the players that would have been taken (that would also require years to develop).
We gave up far too much for these two. Both in terms of draft capital, and the amount of years we’ve locked these two in for. They’re already not stellar athletes, how are they going to look in year 6-7 of their deals?

This was pure Hardwick hubris. Someone in the room needed to emphasise better self-scouting, been a bit more critical and objective. We were a team on the decline even then - yes midfield was a weakness but 2 veterans weren’t going to make the difference.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
A few things have happened this week that made me think more about Yze and where he is at.

I listened to a podcast done by Isaac smith on coaching and he interviewed Yze. He said some really interesting things about how he is approaching coaching and what he learned in the past as well as where we are at. He also talked about some of our players. It was about 6-7 weeks ago so a little out of date. ( I think it is on the AFL website). He also spoke about how players read things about themselves and how it effects many of them.

I did a leadership thing on Monday and there were things talked about there which were reinforced by something Yze said, which is people react better when they are reminded about what they do right as part of their feedback and not just about what they do wrong all the time. He gave the example of Ralphsmith and how when he arrived he was told by others about his weaknesses but noone talked about his strengths.

Then I listened to the Talking Tigers podcast and they were discussing the lack of connection and run on the outside. Richo made the point that he was watching drills on Tuesday morning and there were only about 20 players there, such is the injury list.

He is a rookie senior coach who is learning. Of course he has made mistakes but mistakes only define people when they let them, good people learn from them. We the supporters need to give him time to learn from his mistakes imo. Dimma made plenty and he talks openly about how badly he coached in 2016. Cotchin talks openly about how he tried to be someone he wasn't and was a poor captain for a while. They learned from it and got better.

Defining a rookie coach by what has happened so far with the added extra pressure of ridiculous injury list is to me crazy. He is our coach for 3 years and personally I will be defining him by how much he gets better than 2024 in 2025 and beyond, not now.

• Love
Reactions: 34 users
Didn't say he would care. I stated these negative discussions were always going to bite him on the butt by people using it as ammunition. lol your last sentence. I think most of the senior group look only interested in their salaries atm and some on retirement or leaving to a new club.
I'm pretty sure Yze wouldn't care about ammunition being fired by PRE about this issue.
I thought at the time he explained the decision really well and that's been put behind them.
From what I understand the remaining premiership players on the list didn't have a problem to the photographs being relocated to another place in the Club.

Reactions: 1 users
A few things have happened this week that made me think more about Yze and where he is at.

I listened to a podcast done by Isaac smith on coaching and he interviewed Yze. He said some really interesting things about how he is approaching coaching and what he learned in the past as well as where we are at. He also talked about some of our players. It was about 6-7 weeks ago so a little out of date. ( I think it is on the AFL website). He also spoke about how players read things about themselves and how it effects many of them.

I did a leadership thing on Monday and there were things talked about there which were reinforced by something Yze said, which is people react better when they are reminded about what they do right as part of their feedback and not just about what they do wrong all the time. He gave the example of Ralphsmith and how when he arrived he was told by others about his weaknesses but noone talked about his strengths.

Then I listened to the Talking Tigers podcast and they were discussing the lack of connection and run on the outside. Richo made the point that he was watching drills on Tuesday morning and there were only about 20 players there, such is the injury list.

He is a rookie senior coach who is learning. Of course he has made mistakes but mistakes only define people when they let them, good people learn from them. We the supporters need to give him time to learn from his mistakes imo. Dimma made plenty and he talks openly about how badly he coached in 2016. Cotchin talks openly about how he tried to be someone he wasn't and was a poor captain for a while. They learned from it and got better.

Defining a rookie coach by what has happened so far with the added extra pressure of ridiculous injury list is to me crazy. He is our coach for 3 years and personally I will be defining him by how much he gets better than 2024 in 2025 and beyond, not now.
Good post agree !

Interesting comments about Ralphsmith. Dimma turned us around with an approach of establishing a game plan that matched players’ strengths. Netted us 3 flags. Seems he didn’t do the same with the next gen. I wonder what changed?

Reactions: 5 users
Interesting comments about Ralphsmith. Dimma turned us around with an approach of establishing a game plan that matched players’ strengths. Netted us 3 flags. Seems he didn’t do the same with the next gen. I wonder what changed?

He slipped back into his his old ways a little bit & became stale. It was time for him to move on.