Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

Drawing a definitive conclusion about Yze at this stage would be premature. He’s confronted an array of challenges this year, including an extensive injury list and an aging roster. I place much of the responsibility for the current situation on the old recruiting team. Perhaps they assumed that players like Cotchin, Dusty, Reiwoldt, lynchand Prestia would remain fixtures indefinitely, as no adequate replacements were drafted. Unfortunately, this oversight has left gaps in our talent pool.

Given our list’s limitations and the injury woes, any coach would face an uphill battle. Yze hasn’t had ample time to leave his mark on the team yet, but that opportunity awaits in the upcoming offseason.

By year-end, Yze will begin shaping the roster and devising a plan for the next season—one that doesn’t hinge on 15 injured players, ideally. His reliance on young players is out of necessity, given the circumstances. However, it’s essential to recognize that not all of these young talents will necessarily make the final cut. Additionally, it seems that 3 or 4 experienced team members are exploring opportunities with other clubs.. He will probably end up being a better coach for the experience and the hardships he is experiencing this year .

Our focus now should shift toward acquiring draft picks and building for the future. While next year may involve a rebuilding phase for Richmond, strategic decisions and time can eventually restore our status as a powerhouse. It’s a common process in the world of sports.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Yze just said that he looks forward to when lynch and Prestia returns.
Prestia and Grimes would be 1st to retire.
And he said that game is slightly off, with both Pinoccio and Robbo Silent.
The constant questions about if Dusty is staying or going must he a major issue.
He even said he would like the NRL style when players announce there decision mid year.
Like we don't know Baker is going

Let’s not make excuses. If the gameplan/system was solid we would be competitive regardless of personnel.
You are conflating being unable to execute a game plan with the game plan itself not being sound.

The notion that if the game plan was good enough you could get anyone to execute it well is ridiculous.

If that were the case why do professional sporting teams around the globe spend so much time building teams with the right players and then pay them extraordinary amounts of money?

Not having enough players with the skill, experience or match fitness to execute at the level required over four quarters is not excuses, it’s the reality of the situation regardless of how much you don’t like it or aren’t currently enjoying watching it.

Sorry but your supposition is flawed.

Reactions: 8 users
Rewriting history

When Dimma came on board Benny had been there 5 minutes. The place was riddled with debt, we couldn’t afford a stand alone vfl team. Peggy was on the board but was not president.

We had one young star in Cotchin, a high potential forward in Jack. Dusty was drafted the year Benny and Dimma started. We had no idea Rance and Edwards would be stars, they were ridiculed by many on this site early on. We had one star player in Lids.

So we had a rookie coach, a new CEO and a board member who wasn’t even president yet. We were on the bottom, facing compromised drafts and a couple of young potential stars. We were debt ridden.

We are miles ahead of that now off the field, light years. We had no idea how Benny, Dimma and a board member none of us knew would perform. We don’t know now how this group will perform either but we are far better set up for success than we were then.
Not so sure about that. Gale leaving ,Peggy gone and the talent is no way close to that Dimma had early on. Off field redevelopment looks a mess not even a brick started. Football department since Balme has passed the mantra gone backwards last 2 years. I don't think we have replaced the quality we have lost staff wise etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You are conflating being unable to execute a game plan with the game plan itself not being sound.

The notion that if the game plan was good enough you could get anyone to execute it well is ridiculous.

If that were the case why do professional sporting teams around the globe spend so much time building teams with the right players and then pay them extraordinary amounts of money?

Not having enough players with the skill, experience or match fitness to execute at the level required over four quarters is not excuses, it’s the reality of the situation regardless of how much you don’t like it or aren’t currently enjoying watching it.

Sorry but your supposition is flawed.
💯 our skills and disposal is deplorable and that includes senior players. Their basics of footy you don't have them game plans go in the bin.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting to get the feeling that there's a few senior players letting the coach down gut feeling not in for the long road checking out. Remember no one bigger then the club. If I was him make it clear whoever wants out see you later clear your locker.

Reactions: 6 users
Starting to get the feeling that there's a few senior players letting the coach down gut feeling. Remember no one bigger then the club. If I was him make it clear whoever wants out see you later clear your locker.
He said this will be done in the next 2 - 3 weeks rather than end of year.

Knee Jerk
Talking Blight off last night says enough
Cheers
It looked to me like Blight was taken off after Sean Darcy went off injured, Blight then didn't have a match-up because Jackson went into the ruck.

Reactions: 4 users
Benny and Peggy had excellent resumes and were no fools and they both breathed Yellow and Black. Peggy was on the board for years beforehand. Benny was head of the AFLPA. They won back the trust of the fans as they put down a plan which we bought into and without debt that led to the success. We currently have a silent president, no CEO , a development that could send us into debt, a screwed up FD with no Balme as well , terrible list of kids in comparison and memberships starting to dwindle.
Members have lost trust with all the shenanigans of the events after what happened in the hub 2020 . We couldn’t even sell $1mil in bricks because people are not convinced. Benny leaving was the last string of trust left from the golden years. and now it’s all gone.
IF you’re ignoring the challenges and not seeing the differences then you are being unrealistic as the differences between 2010 to now are light years apart. We don’t even have a long term plan let alone a game plan.
Nah. 20/20 hindsight is a great thing.

Demetriou was aflpa before Benny, would you want him as Richmond CEO? Penny was a lawyer at feehills, no football background at all. John O’Rourke has been on our board for years, as Peggy had been.

We didn’t hear much from Peggy early on either, it was really when people tried to sack her and the rest of the board we started to hear stuff.

As I said, you are rewriting history.

We are far better off than 15 years ago

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Not so sure about that. Gale leaving ,Peggy gone and the talent is no way close to that Dimma had early on. Off field redevelopment looks a mess not even a brick started. Football department since Balme has passed the mantra gone backwards last 2 years. I don't think we have replaced the quality we have lost staff wise etc.
What makes you think the redevelopment is a mess?

This comment about talent I keep on hearing is with hindsight. We had Lids, Cotchin in his first year, Martin’s was drafted 2 months after Dimma started. There is no way we expected Rance and Edwards to be legends of the club. Jack was promising when Dimma arrived.

You are looking at 2010 through 2024 eyes. In 2010 we all thought we had a crap list and no hope. Read the threads on here from that time. We were still hoping that Richie Tambling would be a star.

Reactions: 1 users
If he does not make a few solid changes this week like out Cumberland Sonsie Campbell Mansell & even Kmac one is under the impression he fears where angels do not fear to tread. Do not care who replaces them but just get a bit ruthless in team selection.

If he does not make a few solid changes this week like out Cumberland Sonsie Campbell Mansell & even Kmac one is under the impression he fears where angels do not fear to tread. Do not care who replaces them but just get a bit ruthless in team selection.
I know you say you don't care, but which 4-5 players would you bring in? Who has earned a call-up in the VFL team that would do as least as good a job in the 1s as the players you listed?

Nah. 20/20 hindsight is a great thing.

Demetriou was aflpa before Benny, would you want him as Richmond CEO? Penny was a lawyer at feehills, no football background at all. John O’Rourke has been on our board for years, as Peggy had been.

We didn’t hear much from Peggy early on either, it was really when people tried to sack her and the rest of the board we started to hear stuff.

As I said, you are rewriting history.

We are far better off than 15 years ago
Who cares Benny wasn’t a fool and came out of the AFLPA job and became our CEO. WHO GIVES A *smile* ABOUT AD.
BENNY turned everything around and we don’t have him now so cut the nonsense out and accept reality. No im not rewriting history , but the club has been four the last four years. Wake up and see the light and accept reality.
All you’re telling me is the nonsense that Benny and Peggy had nothing to do with our success. Absolute nonsense on stilts.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Who cares Benny wasn’t a fool and came out of the AFLPA job and became our CEO. WHO GIVES A *smile* ABOUT AD.
BENNY turned everything around and we don’t have him now so cut the nonsense out and accept reality. No im not rewriting history , but the club has been four the last four years. Wake up and see the light and accept reality.
You are missing the point. I love Benny he was great but we didn’t know he was going to be great in 2010 same as we don’t know if our next CEO will be great. You were the one raising the AFLPA as a great background for a CEO not me.

Embrace the future. We are a successful well run club having a downer off field. We will rise again, stop this negative nonsense.

Go Tigers

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
You are missing the point. I love Benny he was great but we didn’t know he was going to be great in 2010 same as we don’t know if our next CEO will be great. You were the one raising the AFLPA as a great background for a CEO not me.

Embrace the future. We are a successful well run club having a downer off field. We will rise again, stop this negative nonsense.

Go Tigers
Well the AFLPA was and still could be a strong background for a CEO as Benny came from it and AD went onto bigger things lol
Who cares Benny had great leadership in the AFLPA and love for the Tigers. ATM we’re immobile or stagnant and we aren’t a successful run club as the people who made us successful have left. We are on the bottom of the ladder and concerns are there. Stop hiding behind rose coloured glasses and smell the roses. Also we have a development that’s escalated from 60 mil to 100 mil and is that a successfully run club.? Stop deluding yourself in the past and step into reality.
We’ve had the worst injury list for two years bc of Meehan being kept on. Hardwick left us because he knew we were chicken *smile*.
Balme is now a vegetable.
The lunatics are running the asylum and haven’t you noticed?

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I reckon there is a level of blame on recruiting. While we all know it can be a bit of a crap shoot (Gibcus has to be one of the best examples - he looks to be a really good player but has been very unlucky with injuries) there have been issues. I remember a few times when players were selected in the draft and we all groaned as they picked yet another half back flanker. I still have a trouble picking the recruitment strategy given the imminent retirement of certain players was clear and that their positions needed to be recruited for. That said, we were successful so difficult with lower picks.

As for the criticism of the redevelopment of Punt Rd, I don't know what planet some people have been living on, but where I live construction costs have been going through the roof with a shortage of materials and labour. If the price of the redevelopment wasn't blowing out I would be suspicious that they were cutting corners and we would get a second rate job. In any case, if we're going to go into debt then the time to do that is when inflation is high.

Benny has been a great CEO, but he can't stay at Richmond forever. Same applies to Peggy. We all get stale in our jobs and need new challenges. Not saying either of them had gone stale but turnover in these positions after a long period is generally healthy.

We have a list which is not suited to the way the game is being played and we have young players who are questionable in terms of whether they will be able to raise their performances to a level where we can contend. Some players have raised their level. Miller is a great example, he looks like a very good defender now. Ralphsmith needs some improvements but he has stepped up. MRj looked to have improved this year, we will have to see but if he can step up he could be great. Ryan is a work in progress but not looking like he will realise the potential, we can only hope, at least he is likely quite cheap.

Yze was never going to really stamp his authority this year. Not only is he learning, no doubt at a great rate, but he came in with a pile of assistants already in place and with a list he had no say over. You do wonder if Yze's first chance to influence recruiting was the mid season draft, if so, good signs. Any new coach takes time to assert their influence. We should have seen more of a game plan on show but I reckon a combination of injuries (leading to a lack of cohesion) and a list which he had no say in has sabotaged any chance he had of trying to get a system in place. From the training reports we can clearly see there is more emphasis on skills and that is a deficiency we must address so I would think he is well aware of where the problems lie.

We will take a while to get back to being competitive and part of the strategy should be to back in our people, including the coach.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Well the AFLPA was and still could be a strong background for a CEO as Benny came from it and AD went onto bigger things lol
You might need to look past old AD as an example of a stellar professional executive.

After (allegedly) warning Essington about the imminent enquiry into their peptide program he went onto being on the advisory board of a private training college that received a 4.5M fine, and was described as an “unscrupulous fly-by-night operation” in federal court.

AD paid a $36,000 fine to stave off creditors.

This resume highlight saw him become a director on the board of Crown resorts, where he was accused of being dishonest and providing inaccurate evidence at an enquiry into money laundering practises.
Who cares Benny had great leadership in the AFLPA and love for the Tigers.
Benny is a fantastic leader and would probably be heading up the AFL if he was part of the boys club.

And he is leaving, as people don’t hang around forever.

Do you feel that the RFC are incapable of finding another strong, capable passionate leader? And if so, why?

ATM we’re immobile or stagnant and we aren’t a successful run club as the people who made us successful have left.
Why do you feel the club is not successfully run?

Senior executives leaving whilst the club is having a difficult year on the field is challenging but not in itself evidence of a poorly run club.

Everything isn’t always in a state of flux.

Also we have a development that’s escalated from 60 mil to 100 mil and is that a successfully run club.?
Large, complex commercial construction projects are difficult estimate at the best of times, let alone in todays design and build environment where material and labour costs are shifting daily.

But please, don’t let that stop you from having another go at the club.

I mean, what could the reasons be, other than everyone that isn’t leaving has no idea?

We are on the bottom of the ladder and concerns are there.
Where do you think the current list should be on the ladder?

Mid table? Top eight?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
What makes you think the redevelopment is a mess?

This comment about talent I keep on hearing is with hindsight. We had Lids, Cotchin in his first year, Martin’s was drafted 2 months after Dimma started. There is no way we expected Rance and Edwards to be legends of the club. Jack was promising when Dimma arrived.

You are looking at 2010 through 2024 eyes. In 2010 we all thought we had a crap list and no hope. Read the threads on here from that time. We were still hoping that Richie Tambling would be a star.

Development was supposed to be started already correct , we we're told numerous times dates it will start . Now they need the extra couple of millions to make it happen. Going to your supporters is bit rich don't you think when there was little transparency during the process.

Your talking nearly all first round picks there highly rated kids Dimma had to start with. We haven't had a first round pick for 2 years.