Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

Yze needs time, but a complete review of the footy dept is required. Between smaller soft cap spending, great assist coaches getting full time gigs and Dimma taking the best of the rest, we’ve been absolutely picked apart since 2020.
Not really sure we’ve replaced like for like. Benny and Balmey going at the end of the year as well. 😭
New CEO has a big job on his hands

Reactions: 2 users
Heh Ross didn’t deserve the drive-by

But yes, at least another off-season for Yze, probably two. He won’t get that on PRE of course

Yeah, i don't think the list is quite as bad as you do Carts but injuries made that discussion moot this season.

I don't think Duz will go on next year, Grimes should go as well. Vlas and Lynch one or two more seasons max with a declining output you'd reckon. Next season we'd have to have a fit Hopper and Taranto to have a competitive midfield. Next year will have to be a development year as well, don't expect finals.

Definitely open to Baker/Bolton/both being traded at this point.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, i don't think the list is quite as bad as you do Carts but injuries made that discussion moot this season.

I don't think Duz will go on next year, Grimes should go as well. Vlas and Lynch one or two more seasons max with a declining output you'd reckon. Next season we'd have to have a fit Hopper and Taranto to have a competitive midfield. Next year will have to be a development year as well, don't expect finals.

Definitely open to Baker/Bolton/both being traded at this point.
A fresh batch of pure midfielders in the McAuliffe mold under Taranto’s example should be an excellent tonic.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol this is your considered, reasoned response? Maybe return to this topic when you are less upset?
The reality is he's 2 and 12, and for the first time in years, we have showed up to match day listless and uncompetitive.

There are both excuses and reasons for this. Injuries, the main one. List transition, another. Trying to teach a new game plan.

All of that can be factored in to win/loss.

But there are greater concerns.

It's simple, and relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of game day, but also one of the easier things to see from the outside. The use of the sub has been poor. From both a tactical and development perspective. When unforced, the sub has continually been made when games are already lost. In addition to that, it's frequently been a kid who is losing out on development. Kaleb Smith? What the hell happened there? McAuliffe is missing out on game time with Dusty and Prestia.

The argument might be that Yze is trying to embed stability, and is more worried about long term than winning games. But the idea that 'he's doing well because it's a good year for us to lose games' it's a dangerous cop out. If we're crap enough, we'll lose. You coach to win. Otherwise you create a club that will be saying goodbye to McAuliffe and Campbell in a couple of years.

The second issue for me is structural. We very rarely set up with two tall forwards. Injuries might have impacted this, but we've often had two tall forwards in the team. When Samson has been in, he's played off the bench. Koschitzke played almost none of last night anywhere near Lynch. Balta and Lynch forward looked dangerous last night, and was successful earlier in the year.

On top of that, we have no idea how to be a target. At no point last night did the team position in a way that meant we could do anything other than kick long down the line. A couple of laser kicks by Brown, Miller and even McAuliffe worked, but is not a game plan. We were a rambling mess. This is not a personnel issue.

Now, it may be that the players aren't getting it (after 9 months of living it). And that the matter plan will come to fruition. And that might even be true. But that's a faith based argument. Yze is good, Yze is great. All will be revealed.

The reality is, we have played poorly, we have been smashed by the footy gods, and he has coached poorly. Our percentage is a good indicator of that.

He's a first year coach.

If I was in charge of the club today I would do three things.

One, make a club wide rule that no one under 23 is the sub ever again.

Two, meet with Yze and ask just what the plan is.

Three, give him another 4 years to implement it.

I'm not suggesting pitch forks. But I also don't think we need to sing from the hymn sheet. It's not sack the coach time.

Unless he starts McAuliffe as sub again next game.

Reactions: 5 users
The reality is he's 2 and 12, and for the first time in years, we have showed up to match day listless and uncompetitive.

There are both excuses and reasons for this. Injuries, the main one. List transition, another. Trying to teach a new game plan.

All of that can be factored in to win/loss.

But there are greater concerns.

It's simple, and relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of game day, but also one of the easier things to see from the outside. The use of the sub has been poor. From both a tactical and development perspective. When unforced, the sub has continually been made when games are already lost. In addition to that, it's frequently been a kid who is losing out on development. Kaleb Smith? What the hell happened there? McAuliffe is missing out on game time with Dusty and Prestia.

The argument might be that Yze is trying to embed stability, and is more worried about long term than winning games. But the idea that 'he's doing well because it's a good year for us to lose games' it's a dangerous cop out. If we're crap enough, we'll lose. You coach to win. Otherwise you create a club that will be saying goodbye to McAuliffe and Campbell in a couple of years.

The second issue for me is structural. We very rarely set up with two tall forwards. Injuries might have impacted this, but we've often had two tall forwards in the team. When Samson has been in, he's played off the bench. Koschitzke played almost none of last night anywhere near Lynch. Balta and Lynch forward looked dangerous last night, and was successful earlier in the year.

On top of that, we have no idea how to be a target. At no point last night did the team position in a way that meant we could do anything other than kick long down the line. A couple of laser kicks by Brown, Miller and even McAuliffe worked, but is not a game plan. We were a rambling mess. This is not a personnel issue.

Now, it may be that the players aren't getting it (after 9 months of living it). And that the matter plan will come to fruition. And that might even be true. But that's a faith based argument. Yze is good, Yze is great. All will be revealed.

The reality is, we have played poorly, we have been smashed by the footy gods, and he has coached poorly. Our percentage is a good indicator of that.

He's a first year coach.

If I was in charge of the club today I would do three things.

One, make a club wide rule that no one under 23 is the sub ever again.

Two, meet with Yze and ask just what the plan is.

Three, give him another 4 years to implement it.

I'm not suggesting pitch forks. But I also don't think we need to sing from the hymn sheet. It's not sack the coach time.

Unless he starts McAuliffe as sub again next game.

A much better post. But I really don’t think there are “greater concerns” beyond the already significant challenges of list transition, injury and new game style.

Let’s not invent issues relating to the Yze’s current inability to deliver on-field.

And let us be clear - none of us know how good he will be as head coach. All we know is that he CAN coach. His CV and success in navigating what would have been a thoroughly rigorous and professional interview process are reasonable markers here in my opinion.

No one is saying he gets a free ride.

This poster is saying he needs time to build the list he wants. Just like Hardwick did.

A much better post. But I really don’t think there are “greater concerns” beyond the already significant challenges of list transition, injury and new game style.

Let’s not invent issues relating to the Yze’s current inability to deliver on-field.

And let us be clear - none of us know how good he will be as head coach. All we know is that he CAN coach. His CV and success in navigating what would have been a thoroughly rigorous and professional interview process are reasonable markers here in my opinion.

No one is saying he gets a free ride.

This poster is saying he needs time to build the list he wants. Just like Hardwick did.

My central concern is that most of the supporter goodwill is based on an interview process.

No doubt he presents well. No doubt is fronts up to the media excellently. He seems intelligent, and looks a leader.

I've seen the result of enough rigorous and professional interview processes to know this all means squat.

For mine, he hasn't started with credits in the bank. But he is afforded time to show what he's getting at. No coach is expected to turn around a side hurtling towards the trough of a sine wave in a single year.

I don't disagree that he gets time.

But I am seeing coaching issues to compound the situation.

Seeing Richmond supporters claim on social media that Hawthorn is 4 years ahead of us...

What absolute garbage. They are crap. Their list is crap. That little Watson child isn't of AFL standard. Sicily is decent, but ain't Rance. Day isn't Dusty. Chol isn't Jack.

But they are well coached and well drilled. Maybe Yze is still learning the caper, but Sam Mitchell gave him a bath yesterday.

And yet you are brandishing a pitchfork right in Yze’s face.

Which is it Stiggers?
Well he keeps saying about the youth and getting games into them
Too be teaching Samson Ryan to go into a contest using one hand is delusional
Also the theory about trailing in your opponent at stoppages as “ the game is played on the outside “ is flawed
Ask Trent Cotchin how important front position then it’s a handball release
If he doesn’t stop this rubbish he won’t last long
Hey you seen water happened to Camel ??
Seriously !!!!

Seeing Richmond supporters claim on social media that Hawthorn is 4 years ahead of us...

What absolute garbage. They are crap. Their list is crap. That little Watson child isn't of AFL standard. Sicily is decent, but ain't Rance. Day isn't Dusty. Chol isn't Jack.

But they are well coached and well drilled. Maybe Yze is still learning the caper, but Sam Mitchell gave him a bath yesterday.
Stop being biased Ian
Not only better coached but game plan is awesome
Intercept marking by 3 players then run and gun is awesome to watch
Thus we just go down the to out numbered contest
To midgets I might add !

I think one of the things that has made it difficult for Yze is the injury list. Not just the obvious ones this year.

Last year was a shambles for various reasons, but perhaps an overlooked one was the injuries to our most likely looking younger players - Gibcus, Brown, Campbell and Smith. Ideally last year we'd have seen these younger players get a dozen games under their belt in a solid, settled team. Instead of that, they missed basically a year of footy. That is compounded by the fact that this year, basically just starting out, they have come into a team ravaged by injury and not at all settled. More like a washing machine. Guess what happens when you play kids in a team that gets belted every week?

It would have been very different this year if the kids had been able to come into a settled, full strength team.

But it doesn't matter so much. At least we get a better run at the draft this way.

Reactions: 5 users
When u talk about Richmond young players we are talking about players who have missed huge amounts of footy,both with covid and at or Richmond, cohesive football Comes with talent ,playing together, injury free runs,experience, our forward line has the worst revolving doors I've ever seen at Richmond, it changes every few weeks and similar story with our midfield in 24.

Reactions: 3 users
I think one of the things that has made it difficult for Yze is the injury list. Not just the obvious ones this year.

Last year was a shambles for various reasons, but perhaps an overlooked one was the injuries to our most likely looking younger players - Gibcus, Brown, Campbell and Smith. Ideally last year we'd have seen these younger players get a dozen games under their belt in a solid, settled team. Instead of that, they missed basically a year of footy. That is compounded by the fact that this year, basically just starting out, they have come into a team ravaged by injury and not at all settled. More like a washing machine. Guess what happens when you play kids in a team that gets belted every week?

It would have been very different this year if the kids had been able to come into a settled, full strength team.

But it doesn't matter so much. At least we get a better run at the draft this way.
Fantastic,like myself u look at everything.

My central concern is that most of the supporter goodwill is based on an interview process.

No doubt he presents well. No doubt is fronts up to the media excellently. He seems intelligent, and looks a leader.

I've seen the result of enough rigorous and professional interview processes to know this all means squat.

For mine, he hasn't started with credits in the bank. But he is afforded time to show what he's getting at. No coach is expected to turn around a side hurtling towards the trough of a sine wave in a single year.

I don't disagree that he gets time.

But I am seeing coaching issues to compound the situation.
No, the distinction here is that this particular interview process was run and executed by people who have won recent flags and know what they are looking for.

So not just any screening process that means “squat”.

It is entirely reasonable to consider Yze a high calibre coach based on the calibre of club endorsing and then employing him.

As with anything time will tell but it is foolish to judge him based on this absolute train wreck of a season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Stop being biased Ian
Not only better coached but game plan is awesome
Intercept marking by 3 players then run and gun is awesome to watch
Thus we just go down the to out numbered contest
To midgets I might add !
Is Mitchell in his 1st season as coach???

Reactions: 1 user
Suggest you blow torch yourself and watch the game
Poorly coached
Didn’t try and kick around the zones all night
That’s the coaches fault
Players don’t suggest the game plan champ
Take the “ unbiased “ point of view
Look at other clubs
Look at how Sam Mitchell coached against us
You will then get the picture
You still haven't answered my question of the 14 players. How many performed ?.

Effort , chasing, and intensity are not on coaching. That's on the players
Skill level and brain fades by senior players are on individuals
Look at the hawks how hungry they we're and their work rate.

That's the picture in a nutshell.

Your dilution big time and don't understand we're this team is at now.

Reactions: 1 user
Good post @yo_eddy - I think senior leadership at the club at executive and board level are fine with us finishing bottom two or three this year. I think they would have said to Yze that he has a free hit this year given injuries and turmoil - Adem, you do you what you need to do to bed in a game style, no pressure. Results don't matter this year.

So the only risk is kids get smashed too often and incur psychological and physical damage, but I think they can handle this.

Reactions: 2 users
Good post @yo_eddy - I think senior leadership at the club at executive and board level are fine with us finishing bottom two or three this year. I think they would have said to Yze that he has a free hit this year given injuries and turmoil - Adem, you do you what you need to do to bed in a game style, no pressure. Results don't matter this year.

So the only risk is kids get smashed too often and incur psychological and physical damage, but I think they can handle this.
Agreed, though it would have been nice to be in the game for a much longer period of time!

We just couldn't match their pressure or out work it.

Farcical thread. Of course he can coach.

Knee jerk reactive response to the dim reality of our situation.

Dimma had a young Dusty, Jack, Cotch, Rancey and Shedda…! Future champions of the game.

Yze has a young Dow, Ryan, Sonsie, Banks and Cumbo…! Mediocre borderline AFL players in the most optimistic of assessments.

Preparedness of the club to make aggressive list decisions post season will determine whether it clicks for Yze, or not!

Reactions: 6 users