Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

I can see what he wants us to do - grow into a beast of a stoppage team that can chew both territory and time with precision passing.
I agree with the majority of what you are saying, personnel mismatch etc - but what I can't personally see is what is his vision or plan or ideal structure. Not being facetious, genuine question, what indications are you seeing that this is the intended endgame?

Most new coach teams, even if rubbish results, after half a season you can sort of tell what they are aiming for (usually not executing) - it will click for passages of play, minutes, quarters, eventually games.

But I genuinely cannot see what they are trying to do so far. It just looks like a less confident version of 2023.

In early interviews, Yze promised an attacking, attractive style that fans would like to watch - but we can't move the ball fluently, and only rioli seems to regularly try/have licence to take the game on. I think one of the preseson games we were gunning straight down the corridor and it looked good, even if very open to counterattack. But now we hug the boundary and regularly go so slow, it looks like there is fear of the turnover, but also don't defend or pressre around the ground - so we get killed on turnover anyway., but without any real prospect of scoring from fast movement.

Game plans these days are so complex and hard to see as a supporter unless they are humming perfectly, so there could be some plan there, but I can't see it atm. I have a fear he is Terry Wallacing a bit and its not a consistent plan week to week, so noone quite gets what they are supposed to be doing, causing disconnect offensively and defensively

Reactions: 4 users
Can someone tell our head coach we have a bye next week. Said it twice in the presser that we have a 5 day break
There simply is no over lap run and no running to space and no presenting on a lead.
This is modern football 101 and we dont do it.
It is laziness and lack of system and structure.
Yze can have some slack due to injuries and poor list balance...but at present we look like Richmond of the 1990s...very poor.
I am not convinced about Yze.
We need
1Hard running players
2 Draft tallent
3 System and structure.
4 Hard at it players.
Some ie Sonsie Dow Mansell Graham and more...need replacing.

I hope we smash the draft...we will need to.
Rioli and sometimes Hugo are the only players that overlaps

Reactions: 1 user
You are seriously going a first-year coach absolutely gutted by injury and saddled with a list woefully ill-equipped to carry out his game plan?

What do you want him to do, go back to chaos theory (if it even works these days) to eke out 8 wins and finish in no-man’s land?

Your post tonight is emotive, reactive bull *smile*. It’s duffle-coat with a giant 4 on the back territory.

You’re upset that Dusty didn’t get his win.
Not just a coaching analyst but a psychologist as well?

• Haha
I am well prepared to wait for another season probably two to answer the question. But today he was comprehensively out-coached.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the majority of what you are saying, personnel mismatch etc - but what I can't personally see is what is his vision or plan or ideal structure. Not being facetious, genuine question, what indications are you seeing that this is the intended endgame?

Most new coach teams, even if rubbish results, after half a season you can sort of tell what they are aiming for (usually not executing) - it will click for passages of play, minutes, quarters, eventually games.

But I genuinely cannot see what they are trying to do so far. It just looks like a less confident version of 2023.

In early interviews, Yze promised an attacking, attractive style that fans would like to watch - but we can't move the ball fluently, and only rioli seems to regularly try/have licence to take the game on. I think one of the preseson games we were gunning straight down the corridor and it looked good, even if very open to counterattack. But now we hug the boundary and regularly go so slow, it looks like there is fear of the turnover, but also don't defend or pressre around the ground - so we get killed on turnover anyway., but without any real prospect of scoring from fast movement.

Game plans these days are so complex and hard to see as a supporter unless they are humming perfectly, so there could be some plan there, but I can't see it atm. I have a fear he is Terry Wallacing a bit and its not a consistent plan week to week, so noone quite gets what they are supposed to be doing, causing disconnect offensively and defensively
Tonight we didn’t fire a shot, the Hawks are finally on the up and playing very good footy.

But we have put together the passages of play you refer to. We have a couple of kids, nowhere near enough.

Yze knows exactly what he wants to do and I suspect it is based on Melbourne’s stoppage style.

Let me be clear on this - Yze wants to implement his style NOW and i am glad the club is mature enough to ride the disaster that this will engender on field with such a terrible list.

We are in no way capable of bossing the contested ball the way he wants us to. He knows that, the club knows that, we will change that over time. For now, patience.

You can add to that list a brutal season of away games married to 5 day turnarounds that stinks of the AFL putting the screws on the playing group!

Senior people within the club retiring or moving on to new pastures and the continued smashing of Tiger players during a game by the weakest and most easily manipulated link in the AFL world - their umpires!

He is learning quickly and I believe at seasons end a number of current players will be shown the door.

He’s tougher than you think and he knows the train wreck he inherited from Hardwick needs a huge overhaul!
What has he actually learnt as I’m confused because the same flaws are still obvious?

I am well prepared to wait for another season probably two to answer the question. But today he was comprehensively out-coached.
I don’t get how people say out coached. Was it his fault the players were weak at the contest , failed to run & man up ? Without knowing the inside stuff it’s easy to say that after a flogging. Carlton were no good when Pagan went there & North struggling with Clarko

Reactions: 2 users
After today, I’ve no confidence in our coaching staff. It was disorganised; it totally failed to combat what the opposition were doing & we showed no creativity or willingness to take the game on. Shambles.

Reactions: 1 users
I have outlined what I believe Yze is trying to do but naturally as an outsider I cannot know the intricacies.

The smart money would be on a variation of the brutish stoppage style that saw Melbourne to a flag and apparently masterminded by one Adem Yze.

The fact that Goodwin is a gold-plated clown further lends credence to this theory.
You cannot play that style of game with Sonsie, Brown, Cumberland, Short, Dow and Kosi as they’re all bruise free footballers . If your idea is right then he is barking up the wrong tree because he is losing it at selection.

What has he actually learnt as I’m confused because the same flaws are still obvious?
He’s learning that he has got to work with the crap hand of players he’s been dealt with.

He’s learning which of those crap players will be shown the door while working with the new recruiting guru at the Tigers to select after the seasons end.

He’s learning about the bludgers who have enjoyed success in very good teams but are not the types to lead the next generation forward. Up for trade?

He’s learning about the IQ of our players and about those doing the extra yards to want to succeed.

He’s learning about those that put the side first and always. We celebrated the 300th game of a man who has always put the club and his team mates first. We lost that game with hardly firing a shot 😡

He’s learning about his own strengths and weaknesses which is no small thing.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I don’t get how people say out coached. Was it his fault the players were weak at the contest , failed to run & man up ? Without knowing the inside stuff it’s easy to say that after a flogging. Carlton were no good when Pagan went there & North struggling with Clarko
I haven’t written that Yze was out coached in any of our other 12 losses for the season.

You cannot play that style of game with Sonsie, Brown, Cumberland, Short, Dow and Kosi as they’re all bruise free footballers . If your idea is right then he is barking up the wrong tree because he is losing it at selection.
We don’t have the players but any good coach will implement the framework from day 1 to set the standard and imprint his preferred contest method into their *smile* skulls

He’s learning that he has got to work with the crap hand of players he’s been dealt with.

He’s learning which of those crap players will be shown the door while working with the new recruiting guru at the Tigers to select after the seasons end.

He’s learning about the bludgers who have enjoyed success in very good teams but are not the types to lead the next generation forward. Up for trade?

He’s learning about the IQ of our players and about those doing the extra yards to want to succeed.

He’s learning about those that put the side first and always. We celebrated the 300th game of a man who has always put the club and his team mates first. We lost that game with hardly firing a shot 😡

Yes, well said

I agree mostly with Carts. Not sure Yze is the coaching genius he believes, although with the right conditions and prayers he could be a very good one. One thing Carts mentioned is that he thinks he values skills and anyone who doesn’t have them won’t get games. How then does Dow keep getting selected? He’s like the new Oakley Nicholls, he can get the pill, but is incapable of using it adequately. I could understand when we didn’t have fit replacements, we do now, yet Dow keeps getting games. I’m hoping that a good draft or 3 and changes in off field personnel will help.

If you watch replay see boundary throw in 25 seconds into the game.
Dow gets great clearance and just bangs it on boot no effort to create or use it.
Have a look at what he misses in middle of ground - and then that switch puts Scrimshaw out of position and brings Cumbo into it.

I really hope the game plan is take that kick into the middle and not do what Dow did. So why is Dow still doing that?
Happened again with someone else not long later

I understand that, but he continues to play blokes that are not AFL standard. The only thing I’ve seen he’s learnt is that he’s moved Balta down back after the stupidity of trying to make him a forward. We still struggle to score because we are sooooo slooooowwww, yet he continues to play the culprits. Then his triggering the sub and selection of sub has been dismal.

We don’t have the players but any good coach will implement the framework from day 1 to set the standard and imprint his preferred contest method into their *smile* skulls
I think he sets low standards as we had 14 premiership players out there plus Taranto . He has only dropped one senior player all year in Kmac and he’s come back better. Short, Graham and Pickett shouldn’t be walk up starts.

Reactions: 4 users