Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

Should we stick the game plan we had when we had Taranto and Hopper in the middle and Lynch up forward, or should we turf all the preseason planning to adapt to a midfield of Dow and Sonsie kicking to Lefau?

Totally agree. There are plenty on here that need to grow the *smile* up and realise what's really affecting us. Frankly I'm getting tired of the amount of negativity on this board. Maybe I need to take a break from PRE because the level of hyperbole on here is at crazy levels. If we look at the facts:

Round 0 - Terrible 1st half, fixed it up and were more than competitive in the 2nd half.
Rounds 1-3 - Very competitive as expected for where we thought we were at, middling team.
Hopper, Prestia and Gibcus injured after Round 1 but we managed to cope ok without them
Lynch and Balta are injured after Round 3
Round 4 - We start to struggle a bit more
Lose Ross and then Taranto breaks his arm

Up until Round 4 we averaged 75 points for and 90 against.

Round 4 (Saints game) and the week following it, was when the damn wall really start to break with regards to injuries. So we lose at least 7 players that are important to our team (Ross either in the midfield, or taking over a midfield role once the others for injured, or back on a wing) and then the damn walls break.

We have averaged 49 points since then and conceded 118. We have more players under 50 games than any other team in the comp and its clearly showing.

In terms of gameplan, bar the Gold Coast smashing in the 1st half, our gameplan was relatively clear what we were trying to do a bit different. We still wanted pressure around the ball and to force turnover, but Yze wanted us to control it a bit more through clearance (1st 5 rounds bar that smashing that Rowell gave us) which we did ok at, and we wanted to move the ball slower and cleaner out of defence with shorter kicks. That was all evident in those 1st 5 rounds, but at some point the dam wall breaks, and everything else slides with it, which makes our game plan look non existent.

The 1 query I have with Yze is over his use of Shai. We are without many of our top line mids, I don't get the logic of playing him as our deepest forward. You've got our best player, watching as we lose field position with not a damn thing he can do about it, as he's been so far away from the play.

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Totally agree. There are plenty on here that need to grow the *smile* up and realise what's really affecting us. Frankly I'm getting tired of the amount of negativity on this board. Maybe I need to take a break from PRE because the level of hyperbole on here is at crazy levels. If we look at the facts:

Round 0 - Terrible 1st half, fixed it up and were more than competitive in the 2nd half.
Rounds 1-3 - Very competitive as expected for where we thought we were at, middling team.
Hopper, Prestia and Gibcus injured after Round 1 but we managed to cope ok without them
Lynch and Balta are injured after Round 3
Round 4 - We start to struggle a bit more
Lose Ross and then Taranto breaks his arm

Up until Round 4 we averaged 75 points for and 90 against.

Round 4 (Saints game) and the week following it, was when the damn wall really start to break with regards to injuries. So we lose at least 7 players that are important to our team (Ross either in the midfield, or taking over a midfield role once the others for injured, or back on a wing) and then the damn walls break.

We have averaged 49 points since then and conceded 118. We have more players under 50 games than any other team in the comp and its clearly showing.

In terms of gameplan, bar the Gold Coast smashing in the 1st half, our gameplan was relatively clear what we were trying to do a bit different. We still wanted pressure around the ball and to force turnover, but Yze wanted us to control it a bit more through clearance (1st 5 rounds bar that smashing that Rowell gave us) which we did ok at, and we wanted to move the ball slower and cleaner out of defence with shorter kicks. That was all evident in those 1st 5 rounds, but at some point the dam wall breaks, and everything else slides with it, which makes our game plan look non existent.

The 1 query I have with Yze is over his use of Shai. We are without many of our top line mids, I don't get the logic of playing him as our deepest forward. You've got our best player, watching as we lose field position with not a damn thing he can do about it, as he's been so far away from the play.

100 % agree Well said.

No team will be competitive with only 26 players to select from and 12 of those selected having played less than 50 games, significantly less in most cases.

Reactions: 3 users
I imagine all of us have dealt with the consequences of

1. Not being able to meet expectations individually or as a group
2. Expectations needing to be reset

To me this is what Yze is dealing with right now.

He would have been selling 'anything is possible / no ceiling' dream of finals and then let's see what happens and it has now turned into 'let's build for the future, give young players opportunities and have senior players show them what is needed to be successful in terms of preparation and effort'.

The consequence of this reset is the classic depression loop - denial. anger, bargaining, grief, acceptance

Internal talk of game plan blaming is classic bargaining behaviour. And to be expected. We've seen some anger with dumb 50m and frees and some grief with lack of effort.

If he can get through this with most players in 2-3 weeks that would be pretty impressive. Not sure anyone gets a group through this inside a season without a dramatic impact on performance and effort. If we get stuck in those middle phases the 100 point losses will continue.

The end of 2016 would have been a collective leadership group thinking through the grief phase - i.e. we are never going to win - accepting it and then saying our new objective is making sure daniel rioli can win it. Or I'm leaving for greener pastures.... (acceptance).. who would have thunk what would happen next but that acceptance phase let the group move on and have purpose again.

I'm basically reflecting my own personal experiences and seeing teams / groups go through this as well. It takes a few weeks if handled well. i.e. they should be actively talking through these stages with the team so everyone can context their experience.

Hopefully Yze has some good mental health help. This is currently both a talent issue but also mental issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I imagine all of us have dealt with the consequences of

1. Not being able to meet expectations individually or as a group
2. Expectations needing to be reset

To me this is what Yze is dealing with right now.

He would have been selling 'anything is possible / no ceiling' dream of finals and then let's see what happens and it has now turned into 'let's build for the future, give young players opportunities and have senior players show them what is needed to be successful in terms of preparation and effort'.

The consequence of this reset is the classic depression loop - denial. anger, bargaining, grief, acceptance

Internal talk of game plan blaming is classic bargaining behaviour. And to be expected. We've seen some anger with dumb 50m and frees and some grief with lack of effort.

If he can get through this with most players in 2-3 weeks that would be pretty impressive. Not sure anyone gets a group through this inside a season without a dramatic impact on performance and effort. If we get stuck in those middle phases the 100 point losses will continue.

The end of 2016 would have been a collective leadership group thinking through the grief phase - i.e. we are never going to win - accepting it and then saying our new objective is making sure daniel rioli can win it. Or I'm leaving for greener pastures.... (acceptance).. who would have thunk what would happen next but that acceptance phase let the group move on and have purpose again.

I'm basically reflecting my own personal experiences and seeing teams / groups go through this as well. It takes a few weeks if handled well. i.e. they should be actively talking through these stages with the team so everyone can context their experience.

Hopefully Yze has some good mental health help. This is currently both a talent issue but also mental issue.
Agree.

Also go and listen to Leigh Matthews on Footy Furnace.. didn't even bother to respond to the ridiculous Tom Morris question about the players not understanding the gameplan Lethal said 'there is no gameplan with the amount of injuries the Tigers have.'

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Agree.

Also go and listent o leigh matthews on Footy Furnace.. didn't even bother to respond to the ridiculous Tom Morris question about the players not understanding the game. Lethal said 'there is no gameplan with the amount of injuries the Tigers have.'

Yep, who do you listen to? The mouthpiece that gets paid based upon the number of hyperbolic stories they head with or a premiership coach?

Reactions: 1 users
Agree.

Also go and listent o leigh matthews on Footy Furnace.. didn't even bother to respond to the ridiculous Tom Morris question about the players not understanding the game. Lethal said 'there is no gameplan with the amount of injuries the Tigers have.'
Tom Morris is a clown.

It has to test even the best of fans. Been a noticeable decline in any semblance of tactical wins or an upward trend in form for the last four weeks or so.
It is hard of course, I hate losing at the best of times and losing by so much is very hard to take. However we will get better, I have no doubt.
4-5 weeks ago we were talking about how competitive we were despite injuries. It has turned quickly and it can turn the other way quickly as well. Put Baker, Taranto and Hopper in our team and we are exponentially better imo.

Reactions: 5 users
No doubt players are confused, who wouldn’t be with this amount of turnover and disruption in each week’s team? But dissent? That’s Tom Morris putting mayonnaise (or something else) on the story.

Reactions: 4 users
Looking at Yze and not the list is faaaaarking lunacy

Coach needs 3-4 years to impose himself and will get it.

Let’s give this *smile* a rest, it’s feral terrace talk.
Nice one Carter. It basically reveals how little some posters think or know about football. Take the equivalent players out of any side and watch them struggle like we are. Stig must have some sort of personal beef with Yze. Or is plain miserable.

How is the greatest coach of the modern era going at North? And he is not dealing with any sort of injury crisis I am aware of.

It's not like we are missing a couple of half back flankers and a forward pocket.

Leigh Matthews always says great players make great coaches.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Belief has fallen through the floor.

Older players are cooked and lack leadership.

Younger players are waifs and not quite ready.

What on gods green earth do people expect?

This was always going to happen, been building for years.

WE WON THREE FLAGS in a comp that aggressively equalises at every opportunity.

We had zero decent draft picks for several years until Gibcus.

Free fall was so inevitable that I wonder what *smile* planet some supporters are on
I think if we were injury free we would be thereabouts.

Reactions: 2 users
He should never been appointed
Obviously players aren’t playing for him
Irrelevant who is injured
They aren’t having a go
Club should admit they have made a mistake
Can’t possibly wheel out the rubbish this week at the press conference about happy with the effort
Please don’t treat us like dills
Get Simon Matthews to give you some better content !!!
Did you lose money on them?

• Haha
As others have said, while this feels nightmarish, the injuries forcing us to the bottom is the best possible outcome for a reset. Better than finishing 8th or 9th. Strong draft hand plus pick one or two.

Very much like the Weagles, artificially at the bottom of the ladder due to injuries, can bounce back quickly with the right selections.

You would think so wouldn’t you
Unless they have checked out
But hard having a rookie coach who hasn’t won a flag telling them to play a different way
What would the new coach know. ?
You get the drift
If that were true (and I don’t believe it is) then Benny, Balmy or Livingstone should gather them up and give them a reality check. They are being paid very handsomely to play football not coach the team. There are non negotiables to earning that money and each and everyone of them should be able to look in the mirror put their hand on their heart and say “I’m doing 100% of what is expected of me and helping my teammates do the same.”
If you can’t do that then I’d suggest you’ve got a lot work to do on yourself before you even start to second guess the coach or his game plan.

The greatest lessons come from the toughest moments in life. Tricky time for both Oooze and the club.

Ignore the sycophants and stick to the process.

I think the ABC online had the best assessment of our situation. All we can do is wait and be patient. The injury epidemic will not continue, especially if we look closely at, and make the right decisions about our S & C department. Only after that is over and Yze can get some consistency around the list, so can confidently implement a plan, will we know much about him as a coach. Mind you, we may go through a few coaches before we find one that can take the club back up the ladder.

I haven't loved his selections but Yze has pulled good moves on gameday. Ground zero, pulled Ryan off /Ross ON at half time . Way more competitive. 60 point deficit almost halved. Round 1 could've won if Mansell/MRJ didn't stuff up a goal despite losing Young, Gibcus and Prestia mid match; Beating the Swans with Lynch is the indicator our "best 22" can play well under Yze.

in 2023, pretty much full midfield, Prestia, TT, Hopper, Dusty, Shai, an ageing Jack R but only 3 games from Lynch for 13th on the ladder.

2024, half a midfield, 3 games from Lynch so far delivered us 17th at Round 10.

We will more games with Hopper, Taranto & Lynch on the park. Lynch is a huge loss in a 2KPF set up. The other KPF is Balta, Naismith, Kosi, Ryan, Le Fau.

As others have said, while this feels nightmarish, the injuries forcing us to the bottom is the best possible outcome for a reset. Better than finishing 8th or 9th. Strong draft hand plus pick one or two.

Very much like the Weagles, artificially at the bottom of the ladder due to injuries, can bounce back quickly with the right selections.
I know nothing about fitness but Weagles changed their fitness guy last year, we should too.

Yze should get ask for all the Assistant Coaches he desires. If Rutten & Teague don't fit move them on.