2024 Richmond Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Richmond Coach

Ken Hinkley has built a very good list, maybe lacking something on match days but cannot fault the types he has brought to the club. I think Port are a very good case study as to how a club should refit a midfield & get the appropriate tall timber in place. Might also be an opening there to get a surplus player if Marshall & Georgiades wind up competing for one spot.

Yep, I think we need to go back to finding a coach of the same profile Hinkley or Hardwick were when they started.

Would the revamp include fitness staff?

My personal view is the angst about our fitness staff is overblown.

There's very little between any AFL players in terms of the physiological markers of their fitness capacity relative to their capability.

The difference really comes from within, the desire to push yourself into what is uncomfortable and how long you are prepared to suffer. It's motivation and desire, not fitness and winners always look fitter than losers for that very reason.

To convince 2 quality players to come to Richmond when they had other options only to put them up for trade 12 months later would rightfully make us a laughing stock and undo all the good work Benny, Peggy, Balmy and Dimma have done to regain the respect of the AFL community.

People said that about Collingwood with Treloar, Grundy etc.... Not sure anyone is laughing now.

If you accept that you have made significant errors in the management of your list it requires significant measures to rectify that. History shows the best way to build a successful list is with low draft picks and Taranto and Hopper are two of very few players on our list that hold that currency, and who aren't likely to be big players in our next success.

Reactions: 1 users
People said that about Collingwood with Treloar, Grundy etc.... Not sure anyone is laughing now.

If you accept that you have made significant errors in the management of your list it requires significant measures to rectify that. History shows the best way to build a successful list is with low draft picks and Taranto and Hopper are two of very few players on our list that hold that currency, and who aren't likely to be big players in our next success.

Difference is that both Treloar and Grundy had been there longer than a year. Doing that 1 year after selling them the dream of playing to us, would rightfully make others think long and hard about joining us. Would be suicide to contemplate this.

Reactions: 8 users
Difference is that both Treloar and Grundy had been there longer than a year. Doing that 1 year after selling them the dream of playing to us, would rightfully make others think long and hard about joining us. Would be suicide to contemplate this.

The thing about footy is memories only last as long as it takes you to be successful.

Grundy was a club legend 2 seasons into a 7 year deal who didn't want to leave. Treloar had just signed a 5 year deal and didn't want to go. People were losing their minds about it left right and centre, Collingwood was a laughing stock, no one would ever want to deal with them.

Fast forward to now and they are the hottest club in town, every player in the comp would join them without a second thought.

If we make bold moves like that we will cop a hiding for a period of time, but if we get it right and become a success again memories will erase like magic.

Cannot believe Pies have not been held to account for their shoddy treatment of these two players. Poor business is morally bankrupt and not a good look to prospective recruits. Player agents must squirm. If Richmond or any other club tried crap like this the Media be all over them, and rightly so.

Reactions: 1 user
Cannot believe Pies have not been held to account for their shoddy treatment of these two players. Poor business is morally bankrupt and not a good look to prospective recruits. Player agents must squirm. If Richmond or any other club tried crap like this the Media be all over them, and rightly so.
Didn't dissuade Mitchell, McLeave, Hill, & Frampton from joining in the one year.

Gale has been on record that we want to continually contend like Geelong and Sydney.

Cant see us wholesale trading senior players and loading up on youth

Didn't dissuade Mitchell, McLeave, Hill, & Frampton from joining in the one year.
How about Taranto? Pie mates had him over the line, along the Tom Lynch to Pies saga. Why sign a player to a million dollar contract, then pay his salary at another club? Frampton and Co weren't considered A graders. Bad business. Neither Treloar and Grundy wanted to leave.

I know you find it hard to believe but a hell of lot of people including those that matter at the RFC don’t believe it was a mistake to recruit them.

There may have been mistakes made but recruiting Taranto and Hopper are not amongst them. I still hold the opinion that this was always going to be a 3 player objective with Himmelberg being the third domino to fall into place.

Reactions: 8 users
How about Taranto? Pie mates had him over the line, along the Tom Lynch to Pies saga. Why sign a player to a million dollar contract, then pay his salary at another club? Frampton and Co weren't considered A graders. Bad business. Neither Treloar and Grundy wanted to leave.
Look at the ladder.

I know you find it hard to believe

Not at all, I just stated there are two schools of thought here, one that we are in good shape and can contend soon, and the other we have overrated where we are and need to dig out of the hole our trading has created.

We may well continue on the path we are on, my personal view is it would be a mistake. But I would have sacked Hardwick in 2016 as well so who knows.

There's very little between any AFL players in terms of the physiological markers of their fitness capacity relative to their capability.

The difference really comes from within, the desire to push yourself into what is uncomfortable and how long you are prepared to suffer. It's motivation and desire, not fitness and winners always look fitter than losers for that very reason.

Isn’t that part of the whole role of the fitness staff as well?

A shared responsibility to create an environment where players want to do all the right things. I’d imagine the best ones get the mental aspect as well.

The best health professionals I’ve worked with have that ‘thing’ that inspires you to be that little bit better towards yourself.

Trading Hopper & Taranto is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Apart from the fact that they are two of the more important players for life post Dimma, what message are you sending to the rest of the playing group as well as killing off any chance you have of attracting free agents and trades from other clubs.

To convince 2 quality players to come to Richmond when they had other options only to put them up for trade 12 months later would rightfully make us a laughing stock and undo all the good work Benny, Peggy, Balmy and Dimma have done to regain the respect of the AFL community.
Sounds like an idea Karen Cornes would promote ….then slag us off for trading away guys you got after 1 season.

Reactions: 2 users
And Treloar, Phillips, Stephenson and Grundy were salary dumps.

Carr looks to be rated highly to we're has he coached previously ?.

Leppa , Carr ,Yze , Enright , Graham, ood starting point.

Nah, a bunch of real triers, Luton Town FC, the Mighty Hatters! We lost Nathan Jones to Southampton and picked up Rob Edwards. An inspired decision
Nakamba been good for you on loan from Villa .His hoping Villa get into Europe on Sunday.

Carr looks to be rated highly to we're has he coached previously ?.

Leppa , Carr ,Yze , Enright , Graham, ood starting point.
According to wiki, 2 assistant goes with Port, years ago and now. Coached North Adelaide to a SANFL Premiership and also had a stint as an assistant at Freo.

Nah, a bunch of real triers, Luton Town FC, the Mighty Hatters! We lost Nathan Jones to Southampton and picked up Rob Edwards. An inspired decision
What a journey you've had with that lot. Broke and all the way down and out in non-league football to now competing to get back into the Premier League. You must be thrilled.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Jeez there are a lot on here writing us off and writing our list off. I’ll just say one thing.
These days the difference between “success” and “failure” is as small as it has ever been and to me the great truism in AFL footy is that things are rarely as bad as they seem and equally they aren’t as good as they seem.
All you have to do is look at Collingwood as the most recent example of this.
I’m still optimistic. The key to me is that good well run footy clubs don’t stay down for long.
To be honest we aren’t even down yet!!

Reactions: 10 users