2024 Richmond Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Richmond Coach

I don’t know how the club will conduct the search ie now or what til the off season (but geez that’s still 3 months away) but if for eg that wanted Carr (or any of the assistant coaches elsewhere like Gia or whoever) I wonder if they could commence sooner rather than later?

I don’t know how the club will conduct the search ie now or what til the off season (but geez that’s still 3 months away) but if for eg that wanted Carr (or any of the assistant coaches elsewhere like Gia or whoever) I wonder if they could commence sooner rather than later?
They will probably start interviews once the bye starts.

Josh Carr Will definitely firm as leading candidate if Port keeps humming along

Reactions: 1 users
Need one selected well before draft and before season concludes so we all know what direction we are going and have some certainty moving forward

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming coach needs to clear the decks in a similar manner to Sam Mitchell, I think we can get things in order with some intelligent trading of players like Broad & perhaps Dusty who may well follow Dimma if he lands at GC. The approach from here should be 3-4 picks in the top 30.

Yep, the first thing we need to do is to define the path we are on as a club and then choose a coach that suits.

Right now we are on a path that says we can contend for a premiership which means we should be going after the best experienced coach available. One that will come in with a clear vision of the system they want to play with, and be capable of running a successful football department and handling external factors like the media already.

If that is the case then we should be looking at Chris Scott, Ken Hinkley or of the available Nathan Buckley.

On the other hand, if like me, you think the path we are on right now is flawed then the percentage play is to reset the list and build again.

Cut deeply and have anyone over 25 on the block or available for trade, including wearing some of Hopper and Taranto's salary at another club. Get good picks in the next few drafts and take the method that delivers more flags than any other, build a list with draft picks and then round out the gaps with recruiting.

To start that process you want a new coach, with a clear and defined coaching style honed by years as an assistant and by coaching their own team at the second tier level. I'm not even going to try and speculate who that might be, that's where a sound process is key.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Yep, the first thing we need to do is to define the path we are on as a club and then choose a coach that suits.

Right now we are on a path that says we can contend for a premiership which means we should be going after the best experienced coach available. One that will come in with a clear vision of the system they want to play with, and be capable of running a successful football department and handling external factors like the media already.

If that is the case then we should be looking at Chris Scott, Ken Hinkley or of the available Nathan Buckley.

On the other hand, if like me, you think the path we are on right now is flawed then the percentage play is to reset the list and build again.

Cut deeply and have anyone over 25 on the block or available for trade, including wearing some of Hopper and Taranto's salary at another club. Get good picks in the next few drafts and take the method that delivers more flags than any other, build a list with draft picks and then round out the gaps with recruiting.

To start that process you want a new coach, with a clear and defined coaching style honed by years as an assistant and by coaching their own team at the second tier level. I'm not even going to try and speculate who that might be, that's where a sound process is key.
Ken Hinkley has built a very good list, maybe lacking something on match days but cannot fault the types he has brought to the club. I think Port are a very good case study as to how a club should refit a midfield & get the appropriate tall timber in place. Might also be an opening there to get a surplus player if Marshall & Georgiades wind up competing for one spot.

I really like the moves Sam Mitchell has made, plenty of promising types getting valuable match time and you can already see significant upside with guys like Day, Weddle & McKenzie. Once they get their mitts on another top 5 selection things will start to look even rosier, probably one key forward short but that could be sorted as early as this year.

I think one of our best trades in recent times was the Deledio trade, rotten timing for Brett who was a fine servant for the club but sometimes you have to make the tough calls. A new coach needs to be given free reign to build with whatever capital he sees fit, if that entails trading a player like Dusty then so be it. I feel Dusty will follow Dimma in any case, a move north has long been in the pipeline so it won't come as any great surprise.

Last edited:

Would the revamp include fitness staff?

Collingwood seem to be running around like possessed men all day, with players constantly streaming passed to provide options and hunting in packs.

I feel like their fitness may be better than Richmond's currently...

Or is this more due to the age profile of the Collingwood team and their current desire to want to achieve something great?

And how much of what we are witnessing is McRae's ability to inspire?

It all feels like this too me...
Dimma did it now to allow Gale Balme and co to put in place the right team and framework for the next chapter...all because of what Tassie means in the next few years.

- We need to rebuild more in the next couple of drafts before Tassie team setup does.
- Gale will almost certainly not be here then in fact can see him being the Tassie CEO.
- Balme will almost certainly be retired by in a couple of years.
- I wouldnt be surprised if Dimma was the first coach of Tassie with a Jack R groomed.
- Mini has 12 games a quick fire apprenticeship highly rated, but im hearing that Josh Carr is the man!

Reactions: 1 users
Cut deeply and have anyone over 25 on the block or available for trade, including wearing some of Hopper and Taranto's salary at another club.
Trading Hopper & Taranto is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Apart from the fact that they are two of the more important players for life post Dimma, what message are you sending to the rest of the playing group as well as killing off any chance you have of attracting free agents and trades from other clubs.

To convince 2 quality players to come to Richmond when they had other options only to put them up for trade 12 months later would rightfully make us a laughing stock and undo all the good work Benny, Peggy, Balmy and Dimma have done to regain the respect of the AFL community.

Reactions: 18 users
It all feels like this too me...
Dimma did it now to allow Gale Balme and co to put in place the right team and framework for the next chapter...all because of what Tassie means in the next few years.

- We need to rebuild more in the next couple of drafts before Tassie team setup does.
- Gale will almost certainly not be here then in fact can see him being the Tassie CEO.
- Balme will almost certainly be retired by in a couple of years.
- I wouldnt be surprised if Dimma was the first coach of Tassie with a Jack R groomed.
- Mini has 12 games a quick fire apprenticeship highly rated, but im hearing that Josh Carr is the man!
A lot of what you say mirrors my thought about the make up of the Tassie team.
It’s not just our senior coach, but the assistants and support staff. Those appointments have to work as well.

Trading Hopper & Taranto is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Apart from the fact that they are two of the more important players for life post Dimma, what message are you sending to the rest of the playing group as well as killing off any chance you have of attracting free agents and trades from other clubs.

To convince 2 quality players to come to Richmond when they had other options only to put them up for trade 12 months later would rightfully make us a laughing stock and undo all the good work Benny, Peggy, Balmy and Dimma have done to regain the respect of the AFL community.

Totally agree and its not like our remaining list is crap. We have a really good core of players in the 22-26 bracket, the one area we are really let down on is the forward line, which is 1 of the major reasons why our forward line has looked so disjointed this year. Our depth in defence is very good, and our midfield core is made up of Taranto, Hopper and Bolton under 26 which is a very strong trio.

We need to recruit to expand this group in the midfield and bring in forwards that can impact.

It won't take long to turn some of this around (and getting a guy called Tom Lynch back in that forward line will help).

Reactions: 6 users
Herald Sun.

MARTIN CONSIDERING EXTENDING CAREER BEYOND 2024

Dustin Martin is determined to honour the length of his contract with Richmond and is already considering playing on beyond the end of 2024.

Those close to the three-time Norm Smith Medallist made it clear on Tuesday that the 31-year-old would not be following coach Damien Hardwick out the door of Punt Road.

Martin’s connection with Hardwick was one of the reasons why he stayed at the club at the end of the 2017 season, which helped lead to a triple premiership-winning era for the Tigers.

That link has also been significant in Martin choosing to stay with the club in recent seasons when it looked likely he could move north.

But a source close to Martin told Moneyball that he remains “Richmond through and Richmond” and wanted to see out the terms of his much-talked about seven-year-deal, which he signed just before the 2017 finals series.

Dustin Martin, left, listens in to Damien Hardwick’s press conference on Tuesday. Picture: Michael Klein

Dustin Martin, left, listens in to Damien Hardwick’s press conference on Tuesday. Picture: Michael Klein

Martin’s body was in “immaculate condition” as he looks to get back to his best footy following some strong performances in the past few weeks.

He will reach 300 games if he plays on next season with the Tigers, which now seems likely, despite Hardwick’s exit and likely retirements of Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt.

Martin is said to be enjoying his footy, even if the Tigers have been struggling, though it is expected a few rival clubs could inquire about his availability at the end of the season.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users