2024 Richmond Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Richmond Coach

No to knights. All attack, no defence.
Also he didn’t think Houli had what it took to play

Reactions: 1 user
Matty Knights hasn’t coached his own team since 2010 but has amassed heaps more coaching experience since then. Worth a chat.

What stood out from the presser for me was Benny mentioned they will be "looking for the next Damian Hardwick." I take from that Benny will be using the same or very similar criteria to what worked so well last time he was on the lookout.
Was told that when they appointed Dimma they wanted a young coach to grow with a young list.

Reactions: 1 users
1. First timer.
2. Youngish.
3. Comes from successful background/s.

Lappin Enright Carr tick all boxes.

1. First timer.
2. Youngish.

i agree with this but also would like them to have coached their own team successfully

Surely Stan Alves deserves another go at a coaching gig?

I'd also suggest Alan Joyce but he's a bit busy with QANTAS.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Captain coach at Fitzroy, then coach before coaching melbourne.

Coaching career​

Disappointingly for Smith, the committee decided (by a single vote) to award the job to ex-Melbourne premiership skipper, Allan LaFontaine. Anxious to begin coaching, Smith made an emotionally difficult decision to transfer to Fitzroy as captain-coach. His older brother Len was already there as coach of the Under 19's. Smith played only seventeen games with the 'Roys before retiring as a player in 1950. His time at Fitzroy was a mixed bag: the team was competitive without making the finals. Meanwhile, Melbourne were struggling and LaFontaine resigned after three years. So in 1952, Smith returned to Melbourne as coach. Benefiting from the recruitment of some of the best players in the club's history, Smith and Melbourne dominated the VFL for a decade, during which the club won six premierships: 1955-56-57, 1959–60 and 1964.
Ok. Should have checked. Relying on memory at my age a dangerous thing.

• Haha
A change in head coach midseason doesn't necessarily mean a drop off in performance at a club. I have supported an unfashionable English football team for over seventy years and had seen plenty of downside, even dropping out of the EFL for as few seasons. Now we are riding high in the championship and teams fear us. Since being back in the the championship we had a great head coach who at mid season moved on to another club and we picked up a relatively inexperienced coach to replace him. This new coach, at the time of writing has since taken us to one game away from the English premiership to be played on Saturday. This just shows that if you get an good innovative coach and you have the right team spirit and culture, anyhing is possible.
at a guess,
Borough and Michael Carrick?

Last edited:
1. First timer.
2. Youngish.

Yeah agree with that ,although Lappin seems to be well entrenched at Geelong .

Leppa might be a good coach second time around,he inherited a basket case at the Lions,and probably went to hard with the player's ,instead of a bit of patience,he has been part of our success ,and knows most player's ,and understands our culture etc.
He would also be inheriting a list with multiple premiership player's,instead of a list of unknowns.

Stuart Dew is another ,he looks frustrated at the Suns,he also took over a soulless basket case,,a club that can only attract B grade recruits at best,he knows how to coach ,with a better environment he would do a lot better.

Josh Carr ,a premiership player,plus coached his own premiership team in the SANFL,A lot of Port supporters already think he is coaching Port, with Hinkley on the bench ,and Carr in the Box.

Ash Hansen ,a premiership player,and coached the Bulldogs VFL to a premiership .

You also have James Kelly, 3 time premiership player,who has been a assistant coach for a few years now ,and was a premiership assistant at Geelong last year.
He is suppose to have very good leadership,and communication qualities.

Then there's Corey Enright ,who joined the Saints this year,so he obviously learning and heading towards being a senior coach .

Grigg ,l think needs more time,not sure how our player's would respond to him as senior coach.

Ouzo,and Gia aren't premiership player's ,thats not to say they can't coach,but l think that should be part of the selection criteria .

NOOOOO to Knights and Newman ,if a manager job became available maybe .
No to Hinkley ,although he wouldn't be getting a inexperienced team .

Whoever takes over ,will need to know what it takes to get to the highest level,and have a bit of patience ,because we are in a short transition of getting back up top.

Reactions: 4 users
If you took the main ingredients that have made up the successful premiership coaches ie played in a flag, coached as an ass coach, coached their own team, was a nuggety tough bugger you get Josh Carr.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not in favour of recycling failed coaches. We have two as assistants as it is and our performance has gone backwards.

Reading through all your opinions and thoughts I admit to be warming to the idea of someone like Carr, Hansen or Enright in the top job. I would love to see Grigg and or Newman back as an assistant but think Rutten and Teague should be thanked for their efforts and let go.

Also, I have my fingers crossed the Benny Gale will decide this is not the time to leave the club and turn his back on the AFL's offer.

Interesting about Josh Carr. speculating only but he perhaps would have gone back to Port this year with the idea Hinkley may get sacked and he will take over the club he played for. With Port now performing well Hinkley might get signed on and leaving Carr assistant again. His option to become senior coach might be putting in for the tiges job.