2024 Richmond Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Richmond Coach

When was the last time a coach with no premiership success, went to their second club and won a premiership?
Malthouse is the only one I can remember and west coast stack the list for him.
Malcolm Blight? That’s way before my time of my memory as I was born in the 90’s but just what I could quickly find looking at the stats.
My point is history tells me that first time coaches are the better option.

Reactions: 1 user
I Took a scan because this interested me

No wins then winning flags

Malcolm blight (Adelaide after Geelong)
Robert walls (Carlton after Fitzroy)
Norm smith won 6 at Melbourne after nothing at Fitzroy
Malthouse per above

Winning flag then winning more

Jeans won at st kilda and at hawthorn (3)
Parkin won at hawthorn then at Carlton (3)
Barassi won at Carlton then at north (2)

Lot of success in getting experienced coaches when you look back through history.

I went back to the Melbourne ones and no further.
Lot of success with 2nd time coaches?
You’re going back 26 years for Blight.
The last 7 premiership coaches, who combined won 12 premierships were fresh coaches.

Reactions: 1 users
I Took a scan because this interested me

No wins then winning flags

Malcolm blight (Adelaide (2) after Geelong)
Robert walls (Carlton after Fitzroy)
Norm smith won (6) at Melbourne after nothing at Fitzroy
Malthouse per above

Winning flag then winning more

Jeans won at st kilda and at hawthorn (3)
Parkin won at hawthorn then at Carlton (3)
Barassi won at Carlton then at north (2)

Lot of success in getting experienced coaches when you look back through history.

I went back to the Melbourne ones and no further.
Pretty sure Norm Smith won nothing at Fitzroy after 6 at Melb. But otherwise yeah

What stood out from the presser for me was Benny mentioned they will be "looking for the next Damian Hardwick." I take from that Benny will be using the same or very similar criteria to what worked so well last time he was on the lookout.

Pretty sure Norm Smith won nothing at Fitzroy after 6 at Melb. But otherwise yeah
Captain coach at Fitzroy, then coach before coaching melbourne.

Coaching career​

Disappointingly for Smith, the committee decided (by a single vote) to award the job to ex-Melbourne premiership skipper, Allan LaFontaine. Anxious to begin coaching, Smith made an emotionally difficult decision to transfer to Fitzroy as captain-coach. His older brother Len was already there as coach of the Under 19's. Smith played only seventeen games with the 'Roys before retiring as a player in 1950. His time at Fitzroy was a mixed bag: the team was competitive without making the finals. Meanwhile, Melbourne were struggling and LaFontaine resigned after three years. So in 1952, Smith returned to Melbourne as coach. Benefiting from the recruitment of some of the best players in the club's history, Smith and Melbourne dominated the VFL for a decade, during which the club won six premierships: 1955-56-57, 1959–60 and 1964.

Lot of success with 2nd time coaches?
You’re going back 26 years for Blight.
The last 7 premiership coaches, who combined won 12 premierships were fresh coaches.
If you want something statistically meaningful you need to look at a lot more than 12.

Pick your window and you can make whatever point you want.

Most coaches are fresh at the moment so of course the chance of a fresh coach winning is higher.

Bit like in covid where anti-vaxxers compared how many people were in hospital had had the vaccine with the amount in hospital who handn't.

How is Jeremy Laidler able to work for the Giants and the Swans
Slight conflict of interest there. May as well join the channel 7 commentary team and interview the clubs post match while he's at it.

If you want something statistically meaningful you need to look at a lot more than 12.

Pick your window and you can make whatever point you want.

Most coaches are fresh at the moment so of course the chance of a fresh coach winning is higher.

Bit like in covid where anti-vaxxers compared how many people were in hospital had had the vaccine with the amount in hospital who handn't.
So what roughly 4 since 1990?
That’s 33 years. How far back should we go?

I’d suggest going back too far only corrupts the data. Footy departments today are light years ahead of where they were 15 or 20 years ago. As are the demands on all coaches not just the senior coach. Being a successful coach today is a vastly different proposition to back then so drawing data from then is counterproductive.

It’s like saying, statistically full forwards kicked more goals in the 70’s & 80’s so they must have been better. But the game was very different, mark kick, no defensive flooding, man on man footy. Definitive comparison’s cannot be made

Well I missed Leigh Matthew’s who is another 3. I’d need to look at it more closely but 7/32 is probably similar to the percentage of the amount of recycled coaches in the league each year which is dominated by new coaches / coaches at their first club. Nothing statistically significantly different anyway.

Within that there will be ones that are doomed to failure like jeans at Richmond and pagan at Carlton where the clubs were looking for a messiah and not a long term approach.

Right now we have 4 but Clarkson at north and Scott at Essendon with no chance imo and took lifted it from 2/18 . Lyon outperforming massively to have a tiny sniff and Voss underperforming IMO.

1995 was 3/16 if I did it correctly.

So maybe 15-25% recycled and 21% win rate since 1990.

Meaningless.

I’d suggest going back too far only corrupts the data. Footy departments today are light years ahead of where they were 15 or 20 years ago. As are the demands on all coaches not just the senior coach. Being a successful coach today is a vastly different proposition to back then so drawing data from then is counterproductive.

It’s like saying, statistically full forwards kicked more goals in the 70’s & 80’s so they must have been better. But the game was very different, mark kick, no defensive flooding, man on man footy. Definitive comparison’s cannot be made
I don’t disagree things are different. I wild disagree that it’s comparing apples and oranges. Leadership is leadership.

what people are arguing about is does experience of doing a job before (in the top flight) and taking the learnings from that matter vs coming in fresh and new to the top job.

And basing that on the very digital outcome of premierships.

Having listened to tommy Hafey podcast where he was Interviewed by Rhett he was a continual learner and developer. It’s no wonder that when he passed this stuff on to his players that success (w-L) followed him. Hardwick no different in going overseas to improve himself and passing that on to his coaches and team. I’m sure Lyon at st kilda is passing on plenty of wisdom and he seems to have also developed a lighter side.

I would like to see the club focus on former players who have not coached at the top level.

Hodge is a hard man with a hugely successful career as a footballer and leader of footballers, who imo would come in with a great deal to offer, which makes him comparable to any of the current assistants. Knows the game that well.

Sorry that some don’t even want him to apply!
Would love to have him as an assistant. Not straight into the top job.

What stood out from the presser for me was Benny mentioned they will be "looking for the next Damian Hardwick." I take from that Benny will be using the same or very similar criteria to what worked so well last time he was on the lookout.
Lets get whoever stuffed up their interview to get the Bombers job.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Richo & Meehan on the list & no Josh Carr. Another good way to throw your money away from Mugsbet.
It's unfortunate that some people can't gamble responsibly, most people can. The same goes for alcohol, some people can't drink responsibly, while many can. What's the answer, can't really make both pastimes illegal?

Listening to Leon Cameron today on SEN, I would suspect he will throw his hat in the ring.

• Angry
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users