2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

Can someone with a physics background explain to me this angle of release the javelin throwers launch it at?

I always understood that an object when launched at a consistent speed on level ground travelled thd longest distance when launched at 45 deg. Watching tonight thd launch angles vary between 31 to 35 deg (from what I have seen). Does the flight angle increase after launch ?

Can someone with a physics background explain to me this angle of release the javelin throwers launch it at?

I always understood that an object when launched at a consistent speed on level ground travelled thd longest distance when launched at 45 deg. Watching tonight thd launch angles vary between 31 to 35 deg (from what I have seen). Does the flight angle increase after launch ?

My take is you can throw it harder when you release it flatter. If you release it too flat it doesn't go anywhere before gravity makes it hit the ground..

If I think of throwing a cricket ball i would definitely get more speed with less up aim - so must be some factor of body dynamics which impact speed of release and getting it as close to 45 as possible. (i.e. its 45 degrees for constant speed of release, but the speed of release isn't constant due to the body)

Reactions: 1 user
What a Night How Bloody Good Aussies Four gold medals to seal best ever Olympics

Reactions: 2 users
How many golds are up for grabs vs previous years?

Still an ultra impressive outcome. Just winning a lot vs 2nd/3rds.

What a Night How Bloody Good Aussies Four gold medals to seal best ever Olympics
Not really apples with apples comparison though when extra sports like skateboarding have been added. More sports equals more medals up for grabs.

Even so. Some medals last night in more traditional sports.

Not really apples with apples comparison though when extra sports like skateboarding have been added. More sports equals more medals up for grabs.

Even so. Some medals last night in more traditional sports.
Not fair, we were favourites for the tug of war and the croquet before they were dumped :cool:

Even if there's more golds up for grabs, to be clear third on the medal tally is a great achievement. It's all relative.
Yep. Billion peeps in China. 300 mill in Trumpsterville n a massive 27 mill in Oz. Athletes doing a massive job at the games compared to the Brits n the other Euro nations like Germany, France etc.

Not fair, we were favourites for the tug of war and the croquet before they were dumped :cool:
Don’t reckon we would be anymore. Samoa, Tonga, Fiji hands down favourites for Tug of war today.

Although we may do what the Wallabies do and call on our legion of green and gold Polynesians. Probably still be the NZ ‘B’ team though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I did hear a question yesterday

"What has the Fox family and New Zealand got in common?"

"3 gold medals"

very unkind .....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Even if there's more golds up for grabs, to be clear third on the medal tally is a great achievement. It's all relative.
Yes and no regarding relativity.

Hard to articulate, but a gold medal in very niche areas like skateboarding not really equal to a gold medal in a 100m or 200m sprint in the track, or even a 1500m. Just not competing against anywhere near the depth of global talent.

Last edited:
Super run by 19-year-old Peyton Craig in his 800m heat. Amazing if he could make the final.

Reactions: 2 users