2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

Great run by Reece Holder in his 400m heat last night. Second in 44.53, making him the second-fastest Australian ever behind two-time Olympic 4th place-getter Darren Clark.
FMD. That Clark bloke is almost as old as me. So somehow in the last 36 years of diet n tech n specialized training methods young Reecey has finally managed to almost equal a runner from ancient history. Reckon that's gunna go down well when the racing gets serious instead of just practice runs.

Reactions: 1 user
FMD. That Clark bloke is almost as old as me. So somehow in the last 36 years of diet n tech n specialized training methods young Reecey has finally managed to almost equal a runner from ancient history. Reckon that's gunna go down well when the racing gets serious instead of just practice runs.
Come on TM Clarkey is not even 60 yet.

I was reading about it the other day and evidently his time would have earned a silver medal in the Beijing Olympics.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Clark was fantastic. Twice 4th in the 400, the Race of Truth (the first time aged 19, also 4th in 1984 4x400). Huge.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a difficult one though. Would you remove road cycling as well? The olympics road race is very highly thought of, as is the world championship. But neither compare to winning yellow at the Tour, or even pink at the Giro, likely more prestigious than red at the Vuelta but only maybe. Is it on a par with the monuments? Not sure.

Personally I would be getting rid of some of the events which aren't really sport - breakdancing, rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming, ice dancing (winter) etc. Not that these aren't worthy pursuits, but I just don't think they are sport, just like ballroom dancing (sorry, dancesport) isn't.

DS
I see your point re Road Cycling though the tours are 3 week event. The comparison is a tour stage win, Paris-Roubaix or if based on representation of your country there is Road Cycling World Champions I assume but maybe wrong that Olympics is higher honour.

Will also agree re breakdancing skateboarding and other x games hold little appeal they do for a younger audience and maybe help Olympics stay relevant for younger people. Hoping they don't put computer games in there

Arisa Trew gets gold in the women's skateboard. Not a bad effort for a 14yo.

Reactions: 2 users