2024 Paris Olympics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Paris Olympics

That was great by young O Callaghan. Nothing against Ariarne, I like her, but the schmaltzy and sycophantic crap Rooney and Thorpe were spewing forth about Ariarne before the race had me going for O'Callaghan.

Reactions: 1 user
The Americans only have 2 gold out of the pool so far. Not sure what they historically pull out but suspect they might be off their usual pace.

Best thing for me is my daughter discovered Stan is showing everything. No more jingoistic, self-promoting, cringeworthy coverage that is Nine.

Highlights, replays, live, it has it all.

Best thing for me is my daughter discovered Stan is showing everything. No more jingoistic, self-promoting, cringeworthy coverage that is Nine.

Highlights, replays, live, it has it all.

on jingoism:

I felt out of step when the Australian swim coach told Korean journos he hoped the Korean (world champ) wins.

A furore erupted and he was accused of sporting treason.

I thought The Games philosophy is peace and unity and sportsmanship?

wasn't the coach displaying all that?

If a runner stops in a marathon to pick up a fallen competitor, its broadly labelled heroic sportsmanship.

why isn't that treasonous under the this logic?

yeah Australia's media are elite at jingoism in sport

The peoples games, the friendly games, the peace games? as long as you bravely crush them with a cringey 'roos' marsupial name.

I love the games: I love the physical feats; but I often barrack for another country in any given event.

I love the Ukraine Camo uniform and reckon they're pretty brave.

on another note, this harry garside story is a pretty intense insight into winning and losing and what it takes

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Watched the volleyball today but not the beach kind unfortunately as tickets as rare as hens teeth for that. It was an epic game between the USA & China. Went right to the wire with China prevailing. Great match & I know nothing about women’s volleyball!

Again the French made it a great spectacle for the crowd. They’re creating party atmospheres in otherwise stuffy traditional sports which they have to for the Olympics to survive. I’m loving it.
Good on you Oldie - what a fantastic thing to do.

• Love
Watched the nine replay of the women’s 200m free this morning. Just cringeworthy commentating.

I didn’t even know who came third that pushed into the lead at one stage.

Reactions: 1 users
Watched the nine replay of the women’s 200m free this morning. Just cringeworthy commentating.

What, you didn't enjoy the pool deck commentary ?

"Ooooh look at that strut" or the familiar "Look at her. She's owning the pool" ?

That idiot that is calling the races with Rooney and Thorpe, he can't even call the finishing order properly when he does actually attempt it. He had the Italian guy winning this morning and he didn't even get a place.

They are unbearable the 3 of them.

What, you didn't enjoy the pool deck commentary ?

"Ooooh look at that strut" or the familiar "Look at her. She's owning the pool" ?

That idiot that is calling the races with Rooney and Thorpe, he can't even call the finishing order properly when he does actually attempt it. He had the Italian guy winning this morning and he didn't even get a place.

They are unbearable the 3 of them.
Yep, I generally switch over when swimming races come on. Find it that unwatchable.

Although leave them on if there is that rare as hens teeth occasion that a race with no fancied Australian is shown. For me I find it interesting seeing a sports’ entire global landscape and how each region is performing.

Anyone see the size of Teremoana Teremoana, the fella boxing for Australia in the super heavyweight division? What a giant of a man. Absolute Goliath!

His height and reach are insane. And has the bulk, muscle and athleticism to match. Like a bigger version of a young George Foreman.

KOd his Ukrainian opponent with a thunderous straight right to the temple.

• Wow
Matildas .......... overhyped dross.

Fancy scraping past Zambia, after having shipped nearly half a dozen goals into their own net in back to back outingss talk about a bunch od bathwater drinkers.

Have they been humbled enough to get over themselves and get focused on the job yet.

Harsh. Every interview I have seen with the Tillys they come across as humble, but determined. They've got a big job ahead of them. It might be a surprise for many Aussies to know that the girls aren't even in the Top 10 FIFA rankings. It might be the media in Aus going overboard, but I don 't see it from the team.

Last edited:
The Equetrian jumping look to me like it set up at the Versailles Palace grounds or close to.

I,m just guessing I’ve never been I had the volume down on the tv.

Can anyone clarify it was a beautiful scene scape.

Message to Channel 9.

When the olympics are on, people want to watch sports that they don’t normally see.

Gymnastics, volleyball, weightlifting, fencing, kayaking, rowing, shooting, water polo, handball, hockey, archery, amateur boxing , take Kwong do, judo, even the novelty events like skateboarding not f,n tennis with Nadal and Djokovic we’ve seen that a million times..

Yes I know there are different channels and providers but fair dinkum some only have access to free to air and get presented tennis.

Reactions: 3 users
Please get his name right. It's Teremoana Teremoana Jnr.

He will be a ring announcer’s wet dream with a name like that, if he turns pro.

Can now only hear his name in Jimmy Lennon jnr’s ring announcer voice as I say it in my head……🙂

Last edited:
The Equetrian jumping look to me like it set up at the Versailles Palace grounds or close to.

It is at Versailles Craig. It’s absolutely perfect for what they’re doing. The cross country section of the 3 day eventing was fantastic there.

Her name is Siobhan Haughey. She’s from Hong Kong. She’s a bloody good swimmer. If anyone had been able to deny Titmus or O’Callaghan the gold, or split them it would have been her. The commentary is poor, especially the faux Ray Warren dude.

Correct - Versailles. Great venue, had an unreal day there, did a bike tour, picnic on the grass with a bottle of red and the tour was amazing.

Reactions: 2 users
As good as the Paris games seem as a venue. I can’t help thinking that if the IOC committee doesn’t embrace flexibility for quite different hosting models. It will contribute to the death of the games.

Very few cities can host without creating an artificial building boom of white elephants. So wasteful. They’ve tried to introduce a more humble, minimalist model for Brisbane. But just doesn’t seem to be working.

I wonder if they went down a World Cup football kind of route, where a country hosts, or maybe a couple of neighbouring countries host across them.

An example. Say Australia and New Zealand decided to jointly host. You spread the sports across already existing venues across the two countries. Sure, you don't get the all coming together atmosphere. But really, talk about first world dilemmas. There are some major benefits in addition to minimising construction. You can base certain sports in cities/regions that have a cultural affiliation with that sport, hence why they already have infrastructure and keeness for people to attend in droves. Places that normally wouldn't get exposure under current host models are able to partake in the festivities. And having sports across a few timeszones may mean the TV networks love it in order to have more broadcast hours of live events.

Under a Aust/NZ host model. Some examples:

- Athletics: Perth's Optus Stadium, Melbourne's MCG, Or Sydney's Stadium Aust would all be suitable to lay a temporary track.
- Swimming: Existing Aquatic Centres on the Gold Coast, at Sydney's Olympic Park or Melbourne's MSAC could host.
- Cycling: Adelaide has a big cultural legacy and venues suitable.
- Triathlon: Gold Coast, Sydney Harbour or Auckland Harbour all would have decent claims
- Sailing: Hobart's docks would make a great host, setting up festivities similar to the Sydney Hobart yacht race festivities. Albeit the likes of Sydney Harbour, Auckland Harbour and Fremantle would have strong claims.
- Rowing: Lake Karapiro a couple of hours from Auckland is a superb, world class venue. Sure, Penrith Lakes is world class. But is nowhere near as picturesque as Lake Karapiro that has hosted world champs several times. A hotbed region of rowing.
- Rugby 7s. Eden Park Auckland. Obvious cultural attachment to the game. And big Pasifika population that links into that.
- Football: Say mens tournament based in Sydney (playing between Parramatta Stadium and SFS) and women's tournament based in Brisbane/GC (playing between Suncorp and Cbus) or vice versa.
- Tennis: Melbourne Park an obvious choice
- Surfing: Gold Coast an obvious choice

Then a multitude of indoor arenas in existence that can host different sports.

Even sports like white water kayaking. The types of purpose built artificial venues needed for that stands out as the grotesque excesses of the Olympics. Hosting across a country (or a couple) that kind of sport can be hosted at a venue where the sport naturally occurs. NZ and Tasmania both have flowing rivers with world class courses.

Last edited: