2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I reckon the only way to get both FOS and Lalor will be to have two top-3 picks. That would require some creative horse trading.
Bakes & Suns pick>> West Coast for pick 3.
I know it looks like giving Bakes up for nothing but the option of getting 2 of 4 from FOS/Smith/Smille/Lalor would setup our midfield for the next decade.West Coast might come to the party as pick 7 or 8 would still get them someone like Bo Allan.
Obviously it all depends on the Rioli trade happening.

The problem is that the jungle drums beating are that Baker is more likely to want to go to the Eagles than the Dockers who have the picks.
If he goes of course.

If he chooses WC it'll get done, we always get trades done.

I think it'll be either something like:

WC 1st (3 or 4) for 1 of the Suns picks and Baker, maybe something else changing hands to grease the deal, maybe their 2nd for a 3rd or the Graham compo pick if its end of 2nd.
WC 2nd this year plus 2nd next year, which we then use to on trade to the Suns for ither 7 or 8 (if thats where they end up). I think most either expect the Suns to trade up, or trade out of this draft with Lombard needing to be bid on, and some more academy players coming in next year, so might take the Tiges and WC's 2nds next year for 1 of those picks.

The other thing that might grease the wheels if he also goes there is Graham. If WC were to offer enough for him (either in $'s or length) to push from an end of 2nd to a 2nd, we would probably regard that as part of the value in any trade, assuming they can't get other picks that would satisfy us more.

Again, overall for this, we need to look at what the final outcome of the trade period is, rather than individual trades IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
This will probably change but as of now, personal + bit of collective consensus ranking:

1. FOSSY
2. Ashcroft
3. Smith
4. Draper
5. Lombard
5. Smillie
6. Trainor

....all before Lalor.
The last champs match when Lalor and hopefully Vontae go up against Guy, Jagga and Ashcroft will be interesting viewing.

Reactions: 4 users
So assuming the points system doesn't change this year, what if we did something like this? Would people be happy.

Trade 1 - Graham goes to WC as a FA - to allow for a trade without a 1st for Baker, WC up their package to get us a 2nd rounder rather than end of 2nd - Pick 23
Trade 2 - Baker moves to WC, for their 2nd this year and their 2nd next year, we give them their 3rd back this year that we got last year. Net points value 1159, about Pick 14
Trade 3 - Picks to GCS - we get pick 7, they get both ours and WC's seconds for next year, roughly equivalent value. IMO with the changes to the system coming in next year (assuming that logic overalls the AFL dumbness) I don't think you'll get a huge premium for moving picks into next year, it'll be a bit of the fear of the unknown a little bit, but there is no point GC trading picks back this year.
Trade 4 - Picks to Brisbane - we get Pick 12 (I reckon they'll finish around there) and their 2nd next year (assume around 33), they get picks 24,34, 40, 52 and 58. Gain overall points of 341 and gain just over 900 points in 2024 so they can bid on their 2.

We end up with Picks 2, 7, 12, 22, 23 and 67 and 71 (for Lockwood), with a marginal downgrade in our 2nd last year (from ours to Brisbanes).

2 - FOS, 7 - Lalor - 12 - Sims, 22, Allan, 23, Faull and then get Lockwood through the NGA, with the current system we have 98 points plus the flat discount of 197, so we have 295 points to match (equivalent to a bid after 48.

Reckon we'd all be pretty happy with that trade / draft period?

Reactions: 5 users
So assuming the points system doesn't change this year, what if we did something like this? Would people be happy.

Trade 1 - Graham goes to WC as a FA - to allow for a trade without a 1st for Baker, WC up their package to get us a 2nd rounder rather than end of 2nd - Pick 23
Trade 2 - Baker moves to WC, for their 2nd this year and their 2nd next year, we give them their 3rd back this year that we got last year. Net points value 1159, about Pick 14
Trade 3 - Picks to GCS - we get pick 7, they get both ours and WC's seconds for next year, roughly equivalent value. IMO with the changes to the system coming in next year (assuming that logic overalls the AFL dumbness) I don't think you'll get a huge premium for moving picks into next year, it'll be a bit of the fear of the unknown a little bit, but there is no point GC trading picks back this year.
Trade 4 - Picks to Brisbane - we get Pick 12 (I reckon they'll finish around there) and their 2nd next year (assume around 33), they get picks 24,34, 40, 52 and 58. Gain overall points of 341 and gain just over 900 points in 2024 so they can bid on their 2.

We end up with Picks 2, 7, 12, 22, 23 and 67 and 71 (for Lockwood), with a marginal downgrade in our 2nd last year (from ours to Brisbanes).

2 - FOS, 7 - Lalor - 12 - Sims, 22, Allan, 23, Faull and then get Lockwood through the NGA, with the current system we have 98 points plus the flat discount of 197, so we have 295 points to match (equivalent to a bid after 48.

You’ve done a fair bit of thinking and work there mrposh. Nothing outrageous with the value of players or picks. Solid reasoning.
Not sure whether or not the players you’ve earmarked will be there at our picks of course. There’s never a guarantee.
It seems a bit too reasonable and maybe not outlandish enough :giggle: .
Pretty good though…..I think..maybe

Reactions: 1 user

We never do this sort of thing. Don't think we are good at it. But that's a triple A+ from any bedroom bound AFL YTer.

Reactions: 1 user
Ross Lyon has dumped a bucket on the AFL this morning and for once he made perfect sense. Amongst other things he pointed out that the AFL did away with zones because they were unfair and have now introduced zones again in the form of academy’s. The result of these academy’s is to exclude Victorian clubs from interstate talent.

He stated that the AFL should run the academy’s as they are paying for them anyway. COVID saw a lot of great coaches, medical staff and administrators jettisoned from club land. These people are more than capable of identifying, coaching and developing young talent and running the academy.

He went on to explain how the points system is totally flawed, allowing clubs to swap high risk low potential picks for low risk high potential picks and then, to make a bad system worse, a 20% discount is applied.

He explained it well and really highlighted the absurdity of it all. I just hope he hasn’t made that speech 12 months too early.

Reactions: 10 users
Unlike last week, I wonder if the cameras at today’s game will be less than 2klm away and if the commentators will know who any of the players are ?

“VIC Country go forward….the ball is spoiled by WA….VIC Country recover though….shot on goal…goal to VIC Country.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Lets hope Lalor doesnt dominate today

From what i have seen on most of the top 10-15 kids this year he is the player that i would take even with our #2

Scrappy game. Faull is a lump of a lad! Stevens (son of Anthony) looks nice. Gerryn (?) for WA a likely looking KF. No.20 for VM looks like a lumberer.