2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

The game is much better now that hits like Milburns arent tolerated at all.
Listening to the extended commentary and there was still an acceptance that hitting an open player was just part of footy.
Milburn jumped up and turned his hip right into Silvagni's head. Soft as.
He was always a thug.
Silvagni as open and unprotected as anyone could be.
Thank the stars its not allowed anymore.
We might bemoan a lot of how the game has changed but this is the standout improvement

agree, crazy how little remonstration there was - imagine what would happen today if someone laid a hit like that and was visibly laughing about it

Reactions: 1 user
The game is much better now that hits like Milburns arent tolerated at all.
Listening to the extended commentary and there was still an acceptance that hitting an open player was just part of footy.
Milburn jumped up and turned his hip right into Silvagni's head. Soft as.
He was always a thug.
Silvagni as open and unprotected as anyone could be.
Thank the stars its not allowed anymore.
We might bemoan a lot of how the game has changed but this is the standout improvement
I miss the bump but the rules should always have been that your feet can’t leave the ground

Reactions: 1 users
Vic Metro team to face WA on Sunday

1IsaacKako
2JaydenNguyen
3JesseDattoli
4JoshuaDolan
7HarrisonOliver
8MurphyReid
9JaggaSmith
10LeviAshcroft
11ChristianMoraes
14NashKing
15TomGross
16LuccaGrego
17ZakJohnson
18PatrickRetschko
19CharlieRichardson
22HarryArmstrong
24JoshSmillie
25GabrielStumpf
26LukeTrainor
27HarryO'Farrell
32AdrianCole
35ThomasSims
38LucasImpey
Still no Cody Anderson from the Ranges,,It shows the depth of midfielders this year.
I have him as at the very least a second rounder.
Example

Reactions: 2 users
We have inside bulls in Hopper & McC.
Jagga or Sulli for me.

this we need leg speed. got our core ball extractors for 5-10 years and can top up with 2nd and 3rd rounders.

1st round we take acceleration, speed and explosiveness coupled with ball use.

Zero tolerance for one-pacedness. Havnt watched Smilie for 12months, but I remember I had him as a bit one-paced? could be wrong.

Still no Cody Anderson from the Ranges,,It shows the depth of midfielders this year.
I have him as at the very least a second rounder.
Example

lot of politics in picking rep sides, and id imagine Vic Metro would take it to another level.

every rep side ever picked will have frauds in it, and real deals out of it.

Anderson needs to review the ben nason hairdo,

I hope so too mate.
But I did find in the previous post #1439, John Ralph’s post that said after pick 40 points value would be eradicated. I hope he’s just stirring the pot.

Otherwise the club should be adamant that a compensation pick at pick 11 is owed to us.
How can it be after Pick 40?Thats not even half way through the 3rd rnd?

I wonder what our club is prepared to do if the AFL go ahead with these changes this year? Do we get lawyers involved? Doesn’t seem like the kind of thing you can just let slide.
Get an injunction until the day after the draft.

Kako seems to be rising up the boards after playing more midfield of late. Really like the look of him, very crafty.

this we need leg speed. got our core ball extractors for 5-10 years and can top up with 2nd and 3rd rounders.

1st round we take acceleration, speed and explosiveness coupled with ball use.

Zero tolerance for one-pacedness. Havnt watched Smilie for 12months, but I remember I had him as a bit one-paced? could be wrong.
We're one of the slowest sides in the comp.
Bolton/Rioli/Ralpsmith. Thats about it.

Reactions: 3 users
How can it be after Pick 40?Thats not even half way through the 3rd rnd?

Its just another made up element of the AFL. They used an arbitrary pick (40) to account for the NGA access and are wanting to use the same arbitrary number.

I'm not necessarily against changes this year, but they simply can't change the value of picks this year, it basically takes every pick trade into 2024 from 2023 and makes those trades worthless to the club receiving the picks, and makes those that trade them look like bandits. There are changes that COULD be made this year but it shouldn't affect past trading strategies.

If they were looking at changes this year, then they could remove the discount for academy / father sons as it has very little impact on decisions made at last years trade / draft period. They could bring the NGA's back from Pick 40 to Pick 20 if they wish, again it has very little impact on draft / trading strategies from last year, but changing pick values absolutely has an impact on clubs trading / draft strategies from last year. The fact that they are even thinking this, just shows again how out of touch they are, and how little credence they put on the AFL being a fair competition.

Reactions: 7 users
Its just another made up element of the AFL. They used an arbitrary pick (40) to account for the NGA access and are wanting to use the same arbitrary number.

I'm not necessarily against changes this year, but they simply can't change the value of picks this year, it basically takes every pick trade into 2024 from 2023 and makes those trades worthless to the club receiving the picks, and makes those that trade them look like bandits. There are changes that COULD be made this year but it shouldn't affect past trading strategies.

If they were looking at changes this year, then they could remove the discount for academy / father sons as it has very little impact on decisions made at last years trade / draft period. They could bring the NGA's back from Pick 40 to Pick 20 if they wish, again it has very little impact on draft / trading strategies from last year, but changing pick values absolutely has an impact on clubs trading / draft strategies from last year. The fact that they are even thinking this, just shows again how out of touch they are, and how little credence they put on the AFL being a fair competition.
Agree with everything you said.
Just wondering if its just a ploy to take the focus off the issue of Umpiring.

Agreed

Not with this though. Say what you like about Silvagni, but that was pure courage with his eyes on the ball when he was cleaned up by a cowardly act
That was not a cowardly act back then !

That was hard footy and you made the opposition earn them and think twice about doing it so your team got an advantage
Cowardly acts are Gaff & Hall type acts and king hits

That was back in the day , Things are seen differently now days
I copped as much playing school footy and it was considered making them earn it , The king hits were the dog acts

That was not a cowardly act back then !

That was hard footy and you made the opposition earn them and think twice about doing it so your team got an advantage
Cowardly acts are Gaff & Hall type acts and king hits

That was back in the day , Things are seen differently now days
I copped as much playing school footy and it was considered making them earn it , The king hits were the dog acts
Sorry mate, but I disagree completely.
Silvagni had eyes only for the ball, completely open, unprotected and didn’t see it coming.
Milburn lined him up from 20? Metres away. Milburn didn’t try contest or try to to contest the ball or wrap him up.
Just as much a dog act as a king hit. Call it earning the ball or whatever. Whenever a player is defenceless and open and the opposition take advantage to really hurt that player and not contest the ball in any way is weak. Cowardly and dangerous.

I know it was accepted as part of the game back then. Even by the commentary it was a different call than it would be today.

We see it differently, but I’ve always maintained that since I started watching the game. There’s nothing brave about it. There’s nothing average about it. What’s the next step…cowardly. Always has been, always will be. In sport or not.

Reactions: 6 users
We're one of the slowest sides in the comp.
Bolton/Rioli/Ralpsmith. Thats about it.

Glacial, is the word id use.

Think young seth has adequate wheels, and kmac and marlion are both quick. Broady was.

Then it falls away sharply.

Speed kills in modern footy.

Sorry mate, but I disagree completely.
Silvagni had eyes only for the ball, completely open, unprotected and didn’t see it coming.
Milburn lined him up from 20? Metres away. Milburn didn’t try contest or try to to contest the ball or wrap him up.
Just as much a dog act as a king hit. Call it earning the ball or whatever. Whenever a player is defenceless and open and the opposition take advantage to really hurt that player and not contest the ball in any way is weak. Cowardly and dangerous.

I know it was accepted as part of the game back then. Even by the commentary it was a different call than it would be today.

We see it differently, but I’ve always maintained that since I started watching the game. There’s nothing brave about it. There’s nothing average about it. What’s the next step…cowardly. Always has been, always will be. In sport or not.
No you are 100% correct

What i am saying is it was not considered a dog act back in my days (70's)
and it was very normal to make the opposition players earn it and put doubts into their heads to get an advantage

But looking back in time with todays glasses on we thinks wow thats disgraceful and how can this happen etc etc
But the Prestia/Stewart thing was even worse due to when it happened being todays football and whats known with head trauma

Charlie Nicholls can clunk 'em but kicking needs work. Listed as 197 (would have been measured at the start of the year), this is his game against Vic Country the day after his 18th birthday.