2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Lynch will probably miss half a season, Kosi is pure back-up and can be thrown around the park on a needs basis. Ryan isn't a forward, the sooner we accept that fact the quicker we can move forward.

Lynch "could" miss half a season or he plays the full year. I didn't even mention Bauer and Lefau (when back from injury) and potentially we could play Brown forward again as he showed a lot at the end of the year.

Agree Ryan is a ruck, but its another tall spot that we can only have so many playing AFL and VFL footy at the same time.

Reckon we take max 2 talls, especially if they are forwards or rucks. Potentially we could take another key back. It could be why some have us taking the Whitlock twins, 1 for each end of the ground.

Reactions: 2 users
Coz we got so many picks, there's gonna be a few players that we'll be saying we shoulda / coulda got in years to come unfortunately.

Both very different to what we have. Firstly both are far better users of the footy then say Tarranto and Hopper. Langford has the added flexibility to push forward as a marking option. Reid far more accomplished on the outside. Again vastly different to what we have.

IMO I look for what players have shown on a football field then running in straight lines over 20m.
What’s their defensive running like?

Reactions: 1 user
His ratings matched with corresponding draft picks (clearly club's needs aren't factored in):

1. Ashcroft - Brisbane
2. O'Sullivan - Richmond
3. Langford - North Melbourne
4. Lalor - Carlton
5. Smith - Adelaide
6. Reid - Melbourne
7. Draper - Richmond
8. Smillie - St Kilda
9. Tauru - St Kilda
10. Armstrong - Melbourne
11. Travaglia - Richmond
12. Allan - Richmond
13. Lombard - Gold Coast
14. Kako - Essendon
15. Hotton - West Coast
16. Lindsay - Port Adelaide
17. Trainor - F
18. Berry - GWS
19. J.Whitlock - GWS
20. Shanahan - Western Bulldogs
21. Hynes - Richmond
22. Marshall - Brisbane
23. M.Whitlock - Sydney
24. Dattoli - Richmond
25. Faull - GWS
26. Oliver - Sydney
27. Gross - Richmond
28. Hannaford - Richmond
29. Dodson - Western Bulldogs
30. Moraes - West Coast

Richmond: O'Sullivan (2), Draper (7), Travaglia (11), Allan (12), Hynes (21), Dattoli (24), Gross (27), Hannaford (28)
St Kilda Smille & Tauru would be a great get for them stuff their generous compensation pick:mad:

Reid has been a top rated player all year.
Was one of the best in the champs.
Some posters here inc Scoop and SA have been big fans all year.

So i dont think its sudden or surprising. Reid should go top 10
I like Reid. I just don't know if I would use our second pick on him, thinking about the others who should be there.

Don't be surprised if we go Langford at #1

I think Lalor will slide. Massive risk only a handful of games each of the last 3 years.
Prodigious talent if he can get on the park.

#6 if we take Langford @ 1 we should get the best mid with speed.
I'm also concerned about the endurance, no numbers to analyse, Rayner & Ainsworth never took it to the next level, therefore do you pay a premium for a forward flanker?

I trust Francis Jackson, that trust will extend to Lalor in this instance but I'm wary - the club insisted RCD could run despite an 11 beep, Hopper was meant to be past his PCL injuries, Yarran was expected to recover from his personal issues. Due dilligence hasn't always been on point, I'm hoping this is a Selwood/Judd scenario.

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't mind taking Whitlock (f/r), Shanahan (kf) & Faull (kf), I don't think that's excessive, we also need some ruck depth and I believe Whitlock has the skills to be serviceable in that area.

This is the age old strategy and I'd be on board. We are in a complete list rebuild. Get the talls early and give them the time that they need to grow. Add the smalls later. Dont know much about the relative merits of each of the tall options. But if there are three then take them. Two minimum

• Dislike
Who's the best mid fwd in this draft? Not a Dusty type but a Lambert / Edwards type mid fwd.

We need 1 or 2 of these - the type that can rotate through the midfield but then transition to the fwd line to bring the extra run and pressure. This was key to our success - mids bringing the extra support to our small fwds.

Hotton, Hynes, Dattoli, Gross, Hannaford all possible options.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone think a quality more small stay-at-home forward is on our radar? I see this as a significant list weakness. Cumbo & Coulthard on the chopping block, still not convinced on Rioii being our primary, consistent goal-scoring small, Green not yet proven although looks promising. Am thinking of a Bolton replacement.
Steeley Green is the only one I can think of on the list with Maurice but suspect Maurice may spend some more time in the midfield if he is to make it

Could end up with too many talls in that case and nowhere to train them, similar to why he had to send OHB into the minor leagues.

You'd think, subject to fitness Lynch and Kosi start as your tall forwards, maybe Balta if we are ok down back, leaving for the 2's, Gray, Fawcett, Ryan and the 3 you mention above. Not sure how we fit them all into 1 VFL team, someone would sit out which is awful for development.

Correct. Add Lefau and Bauer who is 2nd/3rd tall to that.

We should focus on starting mids and key talls.

Small forwards and change mid flankers come later.

Having said that Oliver with a late pick

I'm also concerned about the endurance, no numbers to analyse, Rayner & Ainsworth never took it to the next level, therefore do you pay a premium for a forward flanker?

I trust Francis Jackson, that trust will extend to Lalor in this instance but I'm wary - the club insisted RCD could run despite an 11 beep, Hopper was meant to be past his PCL injuries, Yarran was expected to recover from his personal issues. Due dilligence hasn't always been on point, I'm hoping this is a Selwood/Judd scenario.
Langford's endurance is his strength. finished equal 7th in the 2k time trial with 6.24.

This is the age old strategy and I'd be on board. We are in a complete list rebuild. Get the talls early and give them the time that they need to grow. Add the smalls later. Dont know much about the relative merits of each of the tall options. But if there are three then take them. Two minimum

Start reaching for talls early because it's suits a theoretical list build is how you end up with McArtin over Petracca.

• Love
Who's the best mid fwd in this draft? Not a Dusty type but a Lambert / Edwards type mid fwd.

We need 1 or 2 of these - the type that can rotate through the midfield but then transition to the fwd line to bring the extra run and pressure. This was key to our success - mids bringing the extra support to our small fwds.

Hotton, Hynes, Dattoli, Gross, Hannaford all possible options.

Totally agree. These types need to be high on our list. All the above bar Gross who's solid tough player but a bit slow for the role would be good.

Reckon one you missed Berry will be the best though. Hannaford next ILO.

Are we buying the very steady scuttlebutt that we're into Smillie? It's been around for a couple of weeks. Probably something in it.
My take is that its pure guesswork. RFC have so many picks they've gotta take someone!
Smillie was rated a possible #1 early in the year, but slid due to his non performance.
And now there's a positive media campaign by his crew. Good luck to him.

But we,ve been historically tight as a clam.
Multi picks and a top rated kid. All media has done is Join the dots.
I'm calling out media's supposed inside word.

Both very different to what we have. Firstly both are far better users of the footy then say Tarranto and Hopper. Langford has the added flexibility to push forward as a marking option. Reid far more accomplished on the outside. Again vastly different to what we have.

IMO I look for what players have shown on a football field then running in straight lines over 20m.

Of course. But they are both pretty slow across the lawn in matches as well. We desperately need in big injection of zip and ability to break a line through there. Two much samey samey.

As has been pointed out, it's when we haven't got the ball that hurts as well.