2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I'm doing my ratings atm and I'm always looking for a rough predecessor. Sam Lalor with his strength at stoppage reminds me of one player but with his authority with the ball, his poise and his power of another. I'm seeing some Andrew and some Darren.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I'm doing my ratings atm and I'm always looking for a rough predecessor. Sam Lalor with his strength at stoppage reminds me of one player but with his authority with the ball, his poise and his power of another. I'm seeing some Andrew and some Darren.
Makes sense. They were both fat too. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
With watching a few more “tapes” of Lalor Jack he’s barged his way to the top for me , other then the injury queries that bt has lay to bed, he is the one that has it all to me , he’s also the dream modern day footballer who’s a mid who kicks goals , can see him playing the exact role as one D Martin played for us .

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Just on Jack Whitlock, from the Herald Suns "players tigers could land" at 200 cms he's quite mobile, can kick on both feet and strong over head. I like that he can also play ruck.

I watched him a few times this year, had my doubts early in the season but his second half of the year was very good. A lot to work with, I would be happy to see him in a Tigers jumper.

Reactions: 4 users
Obviously things have changed a bit and no doubt will continue to right up until draft night tl, however each phantom and mock has us gaining some great potentialed kids
Yep, it's just interesting how quickly things change. That's why I don't take much notice in respect to strength of drafts before the event. The 2025 crop has a whole year of development in front of them and I'm keen to see us have 3 first rounders next year if possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Just had my first looks at Hotton and Tairu , wouldn’t be shattered if they were our first picks , obviously won’t be but gee whilckers the upside on both , Hotton has a lot of Bolton about him except he seems an excellent field kick . How’s the hang time on the Viking , great judgment in the air as well , plus vice like hands no jiggle in the grab , nice kicking action too .

Now the divorce is finalised I can see @caesar having a new ”hot ton” love if we draft Taj
So Hotton at #1? We should trade down then. Maybe North will give us #2 and F1 for pick #1. Win-win.

So Hotton at #1? We should trade down then. Maybe North will give us #2 and F1 for pick #1. Win-win.
lol not going to happen obviously, however having a look at both of those lads for the first time , I wouldn’t be shocked if they end up been as good as any from this draft

Looking at Lalor comps a bit deeper - I think a better comp and his 'floor' is De Goey rather than Raynor. That's a pretty high floor and worthy of pick 1.

Reactions: 9 users
Easily best in the business Jack , I think we’ll get another great idea from him with his final draft, however this might be the year there’s a couple flip of the coins on draft night and a couple of “Noah” bolters
Agreed I think this will be the year he misses a lot given the concentration of picks with certain clubs. Previously I think Cal could cobble together the mail from 18 clubs and be pretty close. I would be disappointed in Richmond if we leak to an extent that he can accurately predict our picks

Reactions: 2 users
Good to hear most of the draftees are Vics in the top bracket. Don't risk WA or SA players too much. Too many want to go home.

Reactions: 1 users
Jimmy Bartel

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
So rumour, and I understand it is only rumour is RFC have Lalor slightly ahead of FOS for #1. This makes sense to me.

The only challenge I have with it is Lalor is he could project to be Cam Raynor - and he's never lived up to the billing of being a #1 pick.

Suffice to say I think these guys go pick 1, pick 2. I do suspect we will want both players.

If the rumour that St Kilda really wants Lalor is true - its better we pick Lalor at 1 and that will lessen the competition for Norf's pick 2.

Of course the fall back to not trade is also excellent we would get one of Langford / Smith / Smillie at 6.

I personally would really like FOS rather than those other really good mids - and I reckon that will be the temptation of trading up.
If we have Lalor only slightly ahead of FOS doesn’t it make sense to trade up and get them both. Then you have got what you consider to be the best two players in the draft and still have other quality picks available to build on that.

Just on Jack Whitlock, from the Herald Suns "players tigers could land" at 200 cms he's quite mobile, can kick on both feet and strong over head. I like that he can also play ruck.

Watching this I saw there is an Esler playing for Gippy Power. Ty Esler’s son? He was also from Gippsland.

Good to hear most of the draftees are Vics in the top bracket. Don't risk WA or SA players too much. Too many want to go home.
Every player we traded to WA got us a significant return on investment.
When on a roll, keep throwing the dice.

Last edited: