2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

If you go by Cal Twomey's Phantom Form guide in July we will get

1 Josh Smillie
6 Luke Trainor
10 Taj Horton
11 Tobie Travaglia
18 Tom Gross
20 Alex Dodson
23 Matt Whitlock
24 Jobe Shannahan

This is Twomey's August prediction, tigerlove. The September edition is his ranking with more emphasis on his opinion. August is his linking of player to club.

We're all hanging out for the next edition of where he thinks each player will go in the draft. It's informed by his very hot mail.

If you go by Cal Twomey's Phantom Form guide in July we will get

1 Josh Smillie
6 Luke Trainor
10 Taj Horton
11 Tobie Travaglia
18 Tom Gross
20 Alex Dodson
23 Matt Whitlock
24 Jobe Shannahan
Obviously things have changed a bit and no doubt will continue to right up until draft night tl, however each phantom and mock has us gaining some great potentialed kids

Reactions: 1 users

This is Twomey's August prediction, tigerlove. The September edition is his ranking with more emphasis on his opinion.

We're all hanging out for the next edition of where he thinks each player will go in the draft. It's informed by his very hot mail.
Easily best in the business Jack , I think we’ll get another great idea from him with his final draft, however this might be the year there’s a couple flip of the coins on draft night and a couple of “Noah” bolters

Easily best in the business Jack , I think we’ll get another great idea from him with his final draft, however this might be the year there’s a couple flip of the coins on draft night and a couple of “Noah” bolters
He gets mail from the players and connections, Mr Chips. We call them bolters later if he didn’t get it right the first time.

A lot of these blokes are locked in by now. Our two picks probably are. If Lalor is #1 in his next phantom he might call that a bolter. But we won’t.

Reactions: 2 users
He gets mail from the players and connections, Mr Chips. We call them bolters later if he didn’t get it right the first time.

A lot of these blokes are locked in by now. Our two picks probably are. If Lalor is #1 in his next phantom he might call that a bolter. But we won’t.
Pretty good relationship with a few of the player managers too Jack

Reactions: 1 user
So rumour, and I understand it is only rumour is RFC have Lalor slightly ahead of FOS for #1. This makes sense to me.

The only challenge I have with it is Lalor is he could project to be Cam Raynor - and he's never lived up to the billing of being a #1 pick.

Suffice to say I think these guys go pick 1, pick 2. I do suspect we will want both players.

If the rumour that St Kilda really wants Lalor is true - its better we pick Lalor at 1 and that will lessen the competition for Norf's pick 2.

Of course the fall back to not trade is also excellent we would get one of Langford / Smith / Smillie at 6.

I personally would really like FOS rather than those other really good mids - and I reckon that will be the temptation of trading up.

Reactions: 6 users
Big Willie's don't get to decide where they go.
No but its great to see kids keen to get to the tigers....
With 8 top end picks it will surely create a buzz among our draftees. They'll all know each other already, played in rep sides together.
And will be joining a club on the bottom with a clear direction to rise again quickly.
There are already the Newman / Maric types who will give good leadership for a coupme of years (and they all impressively have medals!) Having Dion stay is a big advantage.
Then 8 high end achievers all joining.
Will there be a Cotch type to drive them?
I bet thats a factor in the selection.

What a buzz they will have

Reactions: 4 users
Just had my first looks at Hotton and Tairu , wouldn’t be shattered if they were our first picks , obviously won’t be but gee whilckers the upside on both , Hotton has a lot of Bolton about him except he seems an excellent field kick . How’s the hang time on the Viking , great judgment in the air as well , plus vice like hands no jiggle in the grab , nice kicking action too .

Now the divorce is finalised I can see @caesar having a new ”hot ton” love if we draft Taj

What do I do with $hai's prized training strip that I picked up in a recent Club 80 raffle.

Completely ripped off by @taztiger4 ;)

He is laughing at me behind my back.

Compress_20241020_105609_9666.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
So rumour, and I understand it is only rumour is RFC have Lalor slightly ahead of FOS for #1. This makes sense to me.

The only challenge I have with it is Lalor is he could project to be Cam Raynor - and he's never lived up to the billing of being a #1 pick.

Suffice to say I think these guys go pick 1, pick 2. I do suspect we will want both players.

If the rumour that St Kilda really wants Lalor is true - its better we pick Lalor at 1 and that will lessen the competition for Norf's pick 2.

Of course the fall back to not trade is also excellent we would get one of Langford / Smith / Smillie at 6.

I personally would really like FOS rather than those other really good mids - and I reckon that will be the temptation of trading up.
Lalor been playing under 18's for 3 years mainly as a mid,Rayner was a forward they hoped would be a mid.
Lalor was mainly a inside mid,until after the champs last year when he got told to work on his outside game,,he did quickly.

Reactions: 10 users
Do you have any real concerns about his injuries bt ?
No,came into the season well underdone,and pushed himself to play in the academy and champs ,instead of having a more structured program to come back on ,which you get at the AFL level,,personally l think with a proper pre season he would of been raging hot favorite for no 1,,he is class.

Reactions: 10 users
Lalor been playing under 18's for 3 years mainly as a mid,Rayner was a forward they hoped would be a mid.
Lalor was mainly a inside mid,until after the champs last year when he got told to work on his outside game,,he did quickly.
I agree Lalor edges Raynor in his potential - and he would be my pick at #1. Raynor still averaged 20 touches a game in Coates league to go with his goals.

Reactions: 1 user