2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

What's the chance of Tauru being available at 10? Picks 10 & 18 for pick 2 looks a whole lot better from my perspective, that's a deal I would cut before the draft.
If he is going to be available, we should grab him!

Reactions: 1 user
What's everyone's thoughts on Trvaglia v Lynsay.
What is both their weapons,strengths and weaknesses.
I find that most first round mids that have no real afl weapon become busts.

If he is going to be available, we should grab him!
I'm not against picking him, I like him a lot but not at the expense of a midfielder, I think the aim should be 2 speedy mids, I think O'Sullivan & Lalor provide that and with the third pick we take either Smith or Langford. The midfield starts to take shape with that mix, that's a bit more urgent than a key defender, unless of course we plan on transforming Tauru into a forward.

Reactions: 1 users
What's everyone's thoughts on Trvaglia v Lynsay.
What is both their weapons,strengths and weaknesses.
I find that most first round mids that have no real afl weapon become busts.
I had a close look last night and I'm tipping the scales in favour of Travaglia, he's a really complete player, the speed is there despite testing poorly at the combine. He's also played against men and performed exceedingly well, he has leadership qualities and his 1%er's are noteworthy. He's my value selection at 10/11.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not against picking him, I like him a lot but not at the expense of a midfielder, I think the aim should be 2 speedy mids, I think O'Sullivan & Lalor provide that and with the third pick we take either Smith or Langford. The midfield starts to take shape with that mix, that's a bit more urgent than a key defender, unless of course we plan on transforming Tauru into a forward.
Yeah, I was speaking with pick 10 or 11 being discussed, not 2 or 6, which would be on the best mids available.

Yeah, I was speaking with pick 10 or 11 being discussed, not 2 or 6, which would be on the best mids available.
But you can't cut a deal with North and then take their player, that would rule out any negotiations for the next decade.

His ratings matched with corresponding draft picks (clearly club's needs aren't factored in):

1. Ashcroft - Brisbane
2. O'Sullivan - Richmond
3. Langford - North Melbourne
4. Lalor - Carlton
5. Smith - Adelaide
6. Reid - Melbourne
7. Draper - Richmond
8. Smillie - St Kilda
9. Tauru - St Kilda
10. Armstrong - Melbourne
11. Travaglia - Richmond
12. Allan - Richmond
13. Lombard - Gold Coast
14. Kako - Essendon
15. Hotton - West Coast
16. Lindsay - Port Adelaide
17. Trainor - Fremantle
18. Berry - GWS
19. J.Whitlock - GWS
20. Shanahan - Western Bulldogs
21. Hynes - Richmond
22. Marshall - Brisbane
23. M.Whitlock - Sydney
24. Dattoli - Richmond
25. Faull - GWS
26. Oliver - Sydney
27. Gross - Richmond
28. Hannaford - Richmond
29. Dodson - Western Bulldogs
30. Moraes - West Coast

Richmond: O'Sullivan (2), Draper (7), Travaglia (11), Allan (12), Hynes (21), Dattoli (24), Gross (27), Hannaford (2

We don't need small forwrds as we have Green and Mansell or even Seth. I think another big defender and Ruck would be nicer.
No...no need for defenders.
Our small forwards are not good enough...those you mentioned are C grade at best....
.we need class and quality.
1 Hannafordd
2 Berry
...high class small forwards.

If we get pick 2 and take FOS & Lalor, we'd be a chance to finish our future starting midfield off at pick 10 with Allan.

A good blend of mids

That is my take for the best mix of players, if we go down this route I'm picking O'Sullivan, Lalor, Langford & Trevaglia with picks 2,3,7 & 12 (presuming Ashcroft gets a bid which we should do to take the heat off our first pick). The rest can be spent on key forwards, that's half a rebuild done and dusted with plenty of tall forwards to work with.
That would be a dream result.

No...no need for defenders.
Our small forwards are not good enough...those you mentioned are C grade at best....
.we need class and quality.
1 Hannafordd
2 Berry
...high class small forwards.
Green and Campbell are only young and deserve to be persevered with as they put in some very good outlier performances last year as well as some bad ones. They need a larger sample pool of games. Mansell played ok for the year, but agree he’s a C grader and will never be much more than a hard working battler. I think we need defenders as Young is below average, Gibcus has had two major setbacks and no guarantees, Flossy and Broad are getting on , Miller is ok , but needs quality. We really are lacking here as basically we never replaced Grimes, Astbury or Rance. Prince replaced Houli and now he’s gone, but I’m more concerned with KPD.

Jagga. I think we need him. Maybe not at 1 but somehow.
I dont know enough about the kids to really have an opinion but he finds the ball. We dont have any players who can find the ball.
Maybe he wont be the best player to be drafted but he might be the best player for us.
Someone mentioned his dad, uncle or similar was a hardnut wiry type from tas...I'd take this over any draft testing biometric.

So for the sake of the 27th pick of the crop, you're prepared to let other clubs decide who we can and can't take with our second selection.

There is a top-2, at least as far as Richmond is concerned.
We are all assuming it’s FOS and Lalor. But is it?

I don’t think there is one single area of the ground we have an abundance of talent , so for that reason I say go best available to atleast pick 18 and then the same for the rest 😁 , fair chance we will cover a few positions any way , genuine midfielders are the key for me

If we get pick 2 and take FOS & Lalor, we'd be a chance to finish our future starting midfield off at pick 10 with Allan.

A good blend of mids
If we do that we run the risk of having too many mids akin to Norf. I'm fairly sure there will be plenty available in the proceeding drafts as there usuually is. Its a delicate balance of ensuring you draft the elite cream of the crop mids and a supporting spine/Ruck, etc.