2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Ah, I'm talking bigger picture. You're right that we're giving up 51, 61 & 70, those are our last picks with value (outside of top 25), and that we're giving them to GCS along with Daniel for 6 & 23. My point is that doing will mean that we don't have any to give Freo besides Shai, and not having a sweatener will make it tough for us to get 10 & 11 from him.
The Dockers get Shai Bolton- it can't get much sweeter then that!

Reactions: 6 users
ben waterworth on the fox footy podcast saying he rang around to get some whispers on the top 5. mostly stuff we already knew but still a long way to go.

rich - pick 1 race probably down to lalor/fos/jagga
north - was made clear at the combine to other clubs that they are infatuated with tauru, but would be a bold pick @ 2. could slide down
carlton - linked to fos and jagga, recruiters saying they must have good intel on who will still be available @ 3
ade - sid draper x3
melb - only name mentioned was armstrong. but are a watch for pick 2.

Reactions: 4 users
Geez. They were crapping on last night that it was all agreed n the paperwork just needed to be done. Musta been some kinda spray paint it's taken them all day to wipe it up.

All contrived by the AFL. On the last day, Bolton and Rioli gives the media nuffs something to talk about.

Reactions: 4 users
In the next 5 -7 years we will have ample picks in the 5-20 range.
Hopefully no pick 6.
But we have the next 3 years for the top end 1-3 picks

Reactions: 1 users
Is pick 2 > than 6 & 10 in a supposedly even draft?
Only time will tell. Every decision carries some degree of risk.

Yeah it's a tricky one.

We should play our strategy as a two year launch.

Whatever we do really want 10 high picks over that period.

The 8 in 24 that we have expect by tonight plus 1st and 2nd rd next year.

Reckon then a 6/4 split this year into next.

Take the first 6 selections this year and sell off the last two.

Absolutely confident we'll get first round picks for them (perhaps more).

And you never know where they might land - look at us in 23 (hopper) and pies this year (*smile*). more teams will get burnt into 25.

That gives us 6 premium picks this year and 3 first rounders next (plus our 2nd pick which will be start of second).

We can either go again for elite talent.

And/or we'll have a good gauge on Harley Reid by then (out of contract 12 months later).

If he's in play, we can shuffle some again to get him then.

We'll actually be very attractive then. Young emerging talent, heaps of picks, salary cap room to blow anyone else out, ground, big club etc.

Those reasons are why reticent to "lose" picks in two for ones to trade up.

Say we do 6 & 10/11/14 for 2.

That means we either take one less pick this year, or lose a first rounder next ( and who knows where that lands).

Also gives less options into the future.

If north give 25 back that makes it a lot more palatable but suspect that might get traded for caleb daniel today.

"losing" a pick actually has a high opportunity cost.

food for thought.

Reactions: 9 users
I don't think there is value in doing 6 & 10/11.

There will still be quality talent at picks 10/11.

6 & 14 (which will be 17) you might consider... 6 & 18/20 you would.

At the end of the day, if North are after Tauru, with 1 & 6 we will likely get one of:

Lalor/FOS/Jagga/Draper

to pair up with one of:

Smillie/Langford.

With picks 1 & 2 we would get two of:

Lalor/FOS/Jagga/Draper

We currently have no up and coming elite talent (Balta maybe), so for the right price we should pull the trigger on getting pick 2.

I don't think there is value in doing 6 & 10/11.

There will still be quality talent at picks 10/11.

6 & 14 (which will be 17) you might consider... 6 & 18/20 you would.

At the end of the day, if North are after Tauru, with 1 & 6 we will likely get one of:

Lalor/FOS/Jagga/Draper

to pair up with one of:

Smillie/Langford.

With picks 1 & 2 we would get two of:

Lalor/FOS/Jagga/Draper

We currently have no up and coming elite talent (Balta maybe), so for the right price we should pull the trigger on getting pick 2.
I would prefer us to land two of Lalor, FOS and Jagger. Given we appeared not to chase West Coast pick 3 I don’t think we are looking to trade up. I’m not going to enjoy watching two of those guys playing for other teams ☹️

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't be disappointed if we kept him given this deal, hopefully the players we draft outweigh his output at the Shockers.

Reactions: 1 user
I know next to nothing about the draftees, but I will be sitting here with some popcorn on draft night watching the fights over who we did and didn't pick.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't be disappointed if we kept him given this deal, hopefully the players we draft outweigh his output at the Shockers.
He could elevate the Dockers to a flag, although they do have a remarkable capacity to stuff things up. He wouldn't do that at Richmond now, and it's one player for 3 selections. Bolton himself was pick 29.