2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Pick #2. That's the troublesome pick atm. Thursfield was out of the race for Houston yesterday. Maybe he's back in it today. I wouldn't think so. Houston hates NM.

At any rate if the rumours that he wants Tauru are right it's not out of the question that he will have to bid at #2. Taylor has Thursfield over a barrel IMO. Because Taylor can menace Tauru.

Carlton look strong. Even if Thursfield does business with Taylor. If it's FOS they want and Taylor takes him at #2 Blues could put #3 on the market on the night. Who would take that? Who has the currency? It's Thursfield. He'd hold his nerve and tell them to bid on Tauru. They won't.

On Carlton's targets the FOS idea has some logic. But Cripps is 29yo. A 17yo midfielder would have to appeal. Smith is in this draft at about #3 according to the mail of a week ago. Suppose Carlton takes Smith at #3.

Ogilvie is not taking Tauru becasue his young core justifies investment in a midfielder. There is no reason, none, the think Ogilvie will take anybody but his best rated player at #4. It will be Draper only if he rates him #4 or above. He will not just pick the Adelaide lad. But it will be a small. The mail is that it will be Smith if he's there. Draper next? Or Smillie? Is Langford something of a Jordan Dawson type?

And now we're at pick #5. And no Tauru unless Thursfield takes him at #2 or Carlton trades out after missing Unknown, but a mid. (Not likely?)

ATM it looks like Tauru gets to #5. And Taylor owns that pick. And power over Thursfield.

PS suppose Thursfield is wedded to Tauru at #2 and will take him there. But Taylor offers to deal for #2 and not take Tauru. Anything above #5 is a win for Thursfield. He just can't help his enemy too much. How much is too much?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Pick #2. That's the troublesome pick atm. Thursfield was out of the race for Houston yesterday. Maybe he's back in it today. I wouldn't think so. Houston hates NM.

At any rate if the rumours that he wants Tauru are right it's not out of the question that he will have to bid at #2. Taylor has Thursfield over a barrel IMO. Because Taylor can menace Tauru.

Carlton look strong. Even if Thursfield does business with Taylor. If it's FOS they want and Taylor takes him at #2 Blues could put #3 on the market on the night. Who would take that? Who has the currency? It's Thursfield. He'd hold his nerve and tell them to bid on Tauru. They won't.

On Carlton's targets the FOS idea has some logic. But Cripps is 29yo. A 17yo midfielder would have to appeal. Smith is in this draft at about #3 according to the mail of a week ago. Suppose Carlton takes Smith at #3.

Ogilvie is not taking Tauru becasue his young core justifies investment in a midfielder. There is no reason, none, the think Ogilvie will take anybody but his best rated player at #4. It will be Draper only if he rates him #4 or above. He will not just pick the Adelaide lad. But it will be a small. The mail is that it will be Smith if he's there. Draper next? Or Smillie? Is Langford something of a Jordan Dawson type?

And now we're at pick #5. And no Tauru unless Thursfield takes him at #2 or Carlton trades out after missing Unknown, but a mid. (Not likely?)

ATM it looks like Tauru gets to #5. And Taylor owns that pick. And power over Thursfield.

PS suppose Thursfield is wedded to Tauru at #2 and will take him there. But Taylor offers to deal for #2 and not take Tauru. Anything above #5 is a win for Thursfield. He just can't help his enemy too much. How much is too much?

Good wrap.

It also means if Thursfield wants the Viking. He can be very confident he'll get to 5.

Means the trade of 2 for 5 + 9 appeals to North..

Not sure it will to Melbourne though. Means they will have given up the world (once take into account the cost for pick 9) for one player.

Reactions: 2 users
Good wrap.

It also means if Thursfield wants the Viking. He can be very confident he'll get to 5.

Means the trade of 2 for 5 + 9 appeals to North..

Not sure it will to Melbourne though. Means they will have given up the world (once take into account the cost for pick 9) for one player.
Taylor won't do that, Bryan. He's got the whip hand here. He'll want plenty back. What else has NM got? What else can they get? #13 made sense. But Norfs aint got that.

ATM I see Thursfield is logical to trade #2 for #5 and something else. I don't see #9 in this. Tauru + anything is better than Tauru + nothing. What can Taylor offer to #5 to secure #2? How much will Thusfield help his enemy to help himself?

Scenario is based on Thursfield wedded to Tauru.

Once we see the bind Thursfield is in we see that Those who want #2 have to guarantee that Tauru gets past Taylor. Adelaide could do that. And Carlton.

Taylor won't do that, Bryan. He's got the whip hand here. He'll want plenty back. What else has NM got? What else can they get? #13 made sense. But Norfs aint got that.

ATM I see Thursfield is logical to trade #2 for #5 and something else. I don't see #9 in this. Tauru + anything is better than Tauru + nothing. What can Taylor offer to #5 to secure #2? How much will Thusfield help his enemy to help himself?

Yeah agree Jack.

Thing is Melbourne have absolutely nothing to add to 5 (except 9) either this year or next. Unless a player comes in.

Or they split 9. Again unlikely.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. Pick 2 now the interesting watch.

Cant remember where I read it, but somebody reported a week or so after FOS played VFL that Richmond were very keen to pair him and Jags up.

Let's see.

Reactions: 2 users