2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Normally agree re: taking forwards early when you get the chance.

This years draft is very unique though. Exceptional depth of top end talent across other positions.

Prefer the golden rule - Don't reach for position over talent in the first round.
You have to reach for forwards, supply and demand dictates that you have to spend a pick in the 1-15 bracket, the best forwards usually land in this region. I personally don't think we can kick the can down the road any longer. Clarke went flanker crazy and has left the club with a monumental task in sorting out the spine, particularly in the forward line. With an already powerful hand we can take some risks because the longer you leave it, the more problems you have in getting the list to peak simultaneously. Jackson succeeded because he got the bookends in early, ditto Clarkson. Richmond needs to go back to the formula that lead to three premierships.

Reactions: 12 users
Lindsay and Berry would be top 5 picks next year.

Shoot, Sims would be top 6 on a projection this far out.

I think this is the draft to get as many picks as you can inside 20 and take them all, no 2 for 1's.

You only need one or two teams to reach and in this draft, someone will and your picks you want at 6 is there at 12.
So should we be trading pick 1 out for 5 &9 or 7&8?

How big that gap is, not sure. It would appear that 3 is the first drop. I don't see that. Lalor, Jagga, FOS, Draper, Smilie Langford all spoke of pick 1 once Ashcorft is taken out. From that 4, there is 12-16 names ranked differently. Bulk picks.
Maybe there is a perceived gap from 2 to 3. There seems to be something there.

I don’t know, Scoop. I can see why Thursfield wants to trade down. I’m trying to work out who wants to trade up. And for what player.

Redford is putting a slow on the Taylor wants #2 scuttlebutt. Maybe Thursfield is still looking for a buyer. I guess we’re about to get some hard information. Still pretty muddy.

There is still hope for the FOSberry fans!

Reactions: 1 user
Just on class. Would you prefer Marcus Bontempelli or Ollie Wines and Sam Walsh?

If Marcus Bontempelli class is there at #2 do you trade your two picks for that pick? Picks that might get you Ollie Wines and Hugh McCulggage? Would you rather get the two lesser players?

Marcus Bontempelli played #1 mid in a premiership. Pretty good player.

Would you prefer Christian Petracca or Tom Mitchell AND Tom Liberatore? All premiership players.

If recruiters are trading up in this draft it's because they see a class gap.
So far pick 9 is the lowest someone has traded up.?
NM wanting to trade 2 says they are after a tall Tauru or Armstrong. I still think NM with pick 2 suits us. Especially if we land 3.

Just on class. Would you prefer Marcus Bontempelli or Ollie Wines and Sam Walsh?

If Marcus Bontempelli class is there at #2 do you trade your two picks for that pick? Picks that might get you Ollie Wines and Hugh McCulggage? Would you rather get the two lesser players?

Would you prefer Christian Petracca or Tom Mitchell AND Tom Liberatore? All premiership players.

Looking at all the top players in the comp, KPP's aside they all have 1 thing in common & that's what we should be going for. Max damage.

Reactions: 1 users

True. and there are plenty of drafts that have a clear class gap.

But in the examples Walsh (pick 1) and McCluggage (pick 3) were higher rated juniors than Bont (pick 4).

So should the dogs have considered trading out of 4 in his draft to get to higher to 1 or 2?

They are the vagaries and uncertainty of drafting aren't they Big Jack

Reactions: 5 users
FOS Jagga Lalor. Gonna be interesting which one we go for. Very little chance we get both. Need to look at who will be available at 6/7 that can best compliment who we choose.

FOS Jagga Lalor. Gonna be interesting which one we go for. Very little chance we get both. Need to look at who will be available at 6/7 that can best compliment who we choose.
Reckon it will be FOS or Lalor, both are dangerous up forward as well, multi positional threat players.

Imagine in 2 years a first choice centre square set up of Lalor Smillie Sharp with Allen Ough Onley second choice. That is nuts.

Starting to look like Carlton may have pick 3 and want FOS , is there any chance if we took FOS at. Lalor could get through to 6 ?

Lots of excellent reports about Bo Allan , is he worth a pick 6 or 10 gents

• Wow
Starting to look like Carlton may have pick 3 and want FOS , is there any chance if we took FOS at. Lalor could get through to 6 ?

Lots of excellent reports about Bo Allan , is he worth a pick 6 or 10 gents
Any idea what Cartoon are giving up for pick 3?

Reckon it will be FOS or Lalor, both are dangerous up forward as well, multi positional threat players.
We are on dire need of true midfielders, not "multi positional threat players" who may or may not make it as midfielders at AFL level.

If we don't take Smith, we better snag Draper.

Different drafts.

And by whom? Not by me, that's for sure. And sure plenty of others.

yes different drafts. Bonts (2013) was a stinker. one of the worst on record.

He would have been taken later in most other drafts.

Was 100% the lesser ranked junior.

yes different drafts. Bonts (2013) was a stinker. one of the worst on record.

He would have been taken later in most other drafts.

Was 100% the lesser ranked junior.
Lesser ranked by lesser judges. I had him at 1.

Tom Boyd was the biggest hype junior in years in that draft, just ahead of Josh Kelly. Billings at 3 was the stinker call.