2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Pick 20 is right in the sweet spot for a tall forward, it effectively gives us an ironclad hand to address our biggest deficiency. If we pick multiple forwards we can allow for 1 bust, that's just being a realist, the numbers don't lie but in any rebuild you have to get the talls in early and the best way to do that is to recruit 2-3. There will always be busts, Clarkson nailed Buddy & Roughe but missed on Thorp & Dowler. Despite these misses it was the correct strategy, 50% strike rate is the norm.
I get all that. And like you I hope we have two cracks at key forwards.
But still scratching my head at the pick swap - we had junk to give but didn’t.
Guess the obvious answer is they wouldn’t accept it.

Pick 32 will also drift due to the bidding, I'm ok with using this to land some talls.

Reactions: 2 users

They may also have wanted more points to pay the premium for moving up. We are now seeing what teams are prepaid to pay to move up in this draft.

There is a myth here that we could have given up 51 and 61 instead of 32, despite those 2 picks only being worth pick 42 in points value, Its nearly another 200 points of value between the 2 picks. 32 is 584, 51 and 61 are worth 394

Reactions: 1 user
Forwards only ever show glimpses at this level, the best forward CV actually came from Schache who probably benefitted from the extra space afforded at junior level. I'll have a closer look at Armstrong this week, you may be right but then again, Buddy was also criticised for double grabs and was even nicknamed Buddy Flanklin. Just looking at the current crop, Marshall played one good game at state level, ditto Jefferson, there's always an element of speculation but at least Armstrong won't be pushed around in one on one contests.
Schache? Best CV? Dunno but he showed glimpses of not liking contact at the championships and that plagued him throughout his AFL life. That's the ultimate decider for me if they are going to be a key forward. The slightest glimpse of avoiding contact at Coates level and they are off my list.

I don't have that worry with Armstrong and he is a much better up the ground player than people give credit for. Can lose a defender on the way back through traffic, not a straight up lead and mark forward.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes. If WCE split, that could be good for us. Maybe.

We don't want Hawthorn or Carlton's F1 from them, that's for sure though.
We definitely wont be accepting any future picks.

WCE will try and get clubs with multiple picks this year involved.

St. Kilda - 7 & 8
Carl - 12 & 14
Melb - 5 & 9
GWS - 15 & 16
Syd - 19 & 22

Schache? Best CV? Dunno but he showed glimpses of not liking contact at the championships and that plagued him throughout his AFL life. That's the ultimate decider for me if they are going to be a key forward. The slightest glimpse of avoiding contact at Coates level and they are off my list.

I don't have that worry with Armstrong and he is a much better up the ground player than people give credit for. Can lose a defender on the way back through traffic, not a straight up lead and mark forward.
Schache won a Larke medal and holds the record for most goals scored, he was also in the frame for pick 1. He did benefit from the zones enforced at junior level, this made things more difficult to assess. But the fact he fell into the battler category just highlights the difficulty in nailing tall forwards, it's a minefield but one also has to be mindful of the 4 years of development that is required to achieve AFL output.

Sure that's not your IBS ?
Who can be sure, Robert? I usually smell a bit Ough when that is playing up.

You know what would be even funnier than my IBS? If Taylor shafted everybody and took Tauru at #2. That would be hilarious. I would love that.

• Haha
Who can be sure, Robert? I usually smell a bit Ough when that is playing up.

You know what would be even funnier than my IBS? If Taylor shafted everybody and took Tauru at #2. That would be hilarious. I would love that.
Dont think they're going for 2.

What do we think of 1,2,11,18,20,23 and 24.

That's a Jagga-FOS combo and a lot of other talent.

I think 6+10 goes close to getting 2. Norf get Tauru plus a very good player on top.
6 & 10 would get pick 2 unless the demons put 5 & 9 on the table as rumoured. If that happens we probably can't get pick 2

6 & 10 would get pick 2 unless the demons put 5 & 9 on the table as rumoured. If that happens we probably can't get pick 2
Could be wrong, but I don't see Melbourne going all in for the next 2 years to get one of FOS, Lalor or Jagga. I see them going mid-tall eg Langford+Tauru or Armstrong. They have a few gaps.

Unless they get 25 back from Norf and think they can get a tall with 25, but then Norf would be better off dealing with us in that case.

Reactions: 2 users