2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Could be wrong, but I don't see Melbourne going all in for the next 2 years to get one of FOS, Lalor or Jagga. I see them going mid-tall eg Langford+Tauru or Armstrong. They have a few gaps.

Unless they get 25 back from Norf and think they can get a tall with 25, but then Norf would be better off dealing with us in that case.
Unless Melbourne says 'we're taking Tauru at 5 if we can't get FOS at 2'.

Reactions: 1 user
Could be wrong, but I don't see Melbourne going all in for the next 2 years to get one of FOS, Lalor or Jagga. I see them going mid-tall eg Langford+Tauru or Armstrong. They have a few gaps.

Unless they get 25 back from Norf and think they can get a tall with 25, but then Norf would be better off dealing with us in that case.
Taylor is linked to #2. If so he wants somebody in particular.

Interesting question - trading 6 & 10 for 2.

Most years would say yes, and seems most on here are as well for this year.

Depends on our overall draft haul - But Leysy is a pretty firm No.

Would you trade say Draper + Lindsay/Berry/Travaglia for one of Lawler or Jagga.

Nah.

We need as many multiples of talented young players as possible.

Reactions: 16 users

Would you trade say Draper + Lindsay/Berry/Travaglia for one of Lawler or Jagga.

Nah.

Agree. With the state of our list we have a lot of weaknesses to cover.

Reactions: 1 users
Forwards only ever show glimpses at this level, the best forward CV actually came from Schache who probably benefitted from the extra space afforded at junior level. I'll have a closer look at Armstrong this week, you may be right but then again, Buddy was also criticised for double grabs and was even nicknamed Buddy Flanklin. Just looking at the current crop, Marshall played one good game at state level, ditto Jefferson, there's always an element of speculation but at least Armstrong won't be pushed around in one on one contests.

Fair enough. And it is true that key forwards are the hardest to project - By far.

That's why it doesn't make sense to Leysy to use early picks (top 15 or so) in this draft on a position there are no standouts in (The Flying Viking the possible exception).

Even moreso when there is so much talent in other areas of the ground available with those selections. Areas we also sorely lack in.

Disagree that Armstrong won't get pushed around one on one. That's an area of his game that is a definite concern.

Smart player yes. Good kick yes. Times his leads yes. One on one - No. Overhead marking, especially when competing with opponent(s) - No.

Nah.

Yes, I would. Because we're also going to have 11, 14 or whatever we get for Bakes, 20, 23, 24. And maybe 18. And possibly 25 back in the pick 2 trade.

Lalor + FOS, then two of Berry/Lindsay/Travaglia/Allan/Hotton/Armstrong//Hannaford, then three of Whitlock/Faull/Hannaford/Dattoli/Hynes/Sims/whoever.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, I would. Because we're also going to have 11, 14 or whatever we get for Bakes, 20, 23, 24. And maybe 18. And possibly 25 back in the pick 2 trade.

Lalor + FOS, then two of Berry/Lindsay/Travaglia/Allan/Hotton/Armstrong//Hannaford, then three of Whitlock/Faull/Hannaford/Dattoli/Hynes/Sims/whoever.
That's right. Quality and quantity of it all, wrapped up in one.

Last edited:
Fair enough. And it is true that key forwards are the hardest to project - By far.

That's why it doesn't make sense to Leysy to use early picks (top 15 or so) in this draft on a position there are no standouts in (The Flying Viking the possible exception).

Even moreso when there is so much talent in other areas of the ground available with those selections. Areas we also sorely lack in.

Disagree that Armstrong won't get pushed around one on one. That's an area of his game that is a definite concern.

Smart player yes. Good kick yes. Times his leads yes. One on one - No. Overhead marking, especially when competing with opponent(s) - No.
History doesn't lie, got to take forwards in the first round, pretty hard to land a Larkey these days although Tracey might be another to add to the list. I would probably put Armstrong in the Caddy bracket, I think he's worth a punt although I need to put more time into these assessments, still getting a handle on the current batch.

Nah.

I reckon there will be plenty more chances to add guys like Lindsay/Berry etc in the coming years. We might only get this year (and probably next) to add guys like Smith/FOS etc.
And as Scoop said, we will still have picks in the teens to add 1 or 2 of those guys anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
History doesn't lie, got to take forwards in the first round, pretty hard to land a Larkey these days although Tracey might be another to add to the list. I would probably put Armstrong in the Caddy bracket, I think he's worth a punt although I need to put more time into these assessments, still getting a handle on the current batch.

Normally agree re: taking forwards early when you get the chance.

This years draft is very unique though. Exceptional depth of top end talent across other positions.

Prefer the golden rule - Don't reach for position over talent in the first round.

Reactions: 8 users
I reckon there will be plenty more chances to add guys like Lindsay/Berry etc in the coming years. We might only get this year (and probably next) to add guys like Smith/FOS etc.
And as Scoop said, we will still have picks in the teens to add 1 or 2 of those guys anyway.

Maybe. But there is every chance Draper is there at 6 and he ends up better than 1/2 anyway. He also suits us perfectly if taken with FoS. They add the pace and zip we so sorely need.

Then you are just throwing pick 10 away. Which is a very valuable pick this year. More pace and class with the players mentioned.

Anyway - an interesting poser.

Reactions: 4 users
Lindsay and Berry would be top 5 picks next year.

Shoot, Sims would be top 6 on a projection this far out.

I think this is the draft to get as many picks as you can inside 20 and take them all, no 2 for 1's.

You only need one or two teams to reach and in this draft, someone will and your picks you want at 6 is there at 12.

I agree, logic tells us you are correct. Logic and trading are not always together of course

I am a huge FOS fan but no way do you trade into pick 2 with 2 picks top 15 to get him in this draft.

we can walk away with 1, 3, 6 ++++ Thats enough. take all picks to the draft.

Normally agree re: taking forwards early when you get the chance.

This years draft is very unique though. Exceptional depth of top end talent across other positions.

Prefer the golden rule - Don't reach for position over talent in the first round.
I'm with Leysy, don't reach, take the talent. And a good crossover of talent available and what we need. Take the bulk picks.

Maybe. But there is every chance Draper is there at 6 and he ends up better than 1/2 anyway. He also suits us perfectly if taken with FoS. They add the pace and zip we so sorely need.

Then you are just throwing pick 10 away. Which is a very valuable pick this year. More pace and class with the players mentioned.

Anyway - an interesting poser.
Ya gotta make choices in life.

Just on class. Would you prefer Marcus Bontempelli or Ollie Wines and Sam Walsh?

If Marcus Bontempelli class is there at #2 do you trade your two picks for that pick? Picks that might get you Ollie Wines and Hugh McCulggage? Would you rather get the two lesser players?

Marcus Bontempelli played #1 mid in a premiership. Pretty good player.

Would you prefer Christian Petracca or Tom Mitchell AND Tom Liberatore? All premiership players.

If recruiters are trading up in this draft it's because they see a class gap.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If recruiters are trading up in this draft it's because they see a class gap.
How big that gap is, not sure. It would appear that 3 is the first drop. I don't see that. Lalor, Jagga, FOS, Draper, Smilie Langford all spoke of pick 1 once Ashcorft is taken out. From that 4, there is 12-16 names ranked differently. Bulk picks.