2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

If we get #3 should we bid on Tauru? The next Trent Croad.

Likely moves up the board today. We think Taylor will pull off his coup. And probably Dalrymple. Looking at the possible board.

1​
Lalor​
Toce​
RICH​
2​
FOS​
Taylor​
MELB​
3​
Dalrymple​
StK​
4​
Ogilvie​
ADEL​
5​
Tauru​
Thursfield​
NM​
6​
Burns​
GCS​
7​
Toce​
RICH​
8​
Clarke​
WCE​
Smith, Draper, Langford, Smillie​

Who does Dalrymple want? Why's he trading up?

Ogilvie willll take the best player he can get and if that's a tall he might get it right. He has no SA allegiance early in the draft. None. It is not my opinion that he's very interested in Smith. I got some mail to that effect. If Smith gets to Ogilvie I think he'll take him.

After #5 RFC is linked to Smillie.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Melbourne are after Armstrong at 9
I think Melbourne have done brilliantly, bringing their pick forward into a stronger draft.

It's the opposite of what we did with Hopper and Taranto. The Dees getting Reid and Armstrong would be huge get. If Smillie falls it's a steal.

Think Reid and Smillie would be a perfect fit for that midfield.

Reactions: 1 users
I think NM will find it tough to find a buyer for pick 2.
would be great for us as they will most likely take Tauru at 2.

Tom Morris with Nathan Buckley 8.05am this morning, which club is hardest to deal with by overating its players,Morris strongly stated that's easy,Richmond and plenty here think we are pushovers.
This trade period? Because historically we get deals done relatively easy.

Reactions: 3 users
Freo confirming a minute ago, strong interest in Baker and discussions with Richmond.

Better come up with something good Clarke.

Reactions: 5 users
Super trade with Brisbane, this is shaping up as a terrific launch pad, we could feasibly land 3 key forwards this draft.

Reactions: 2 users
If we're in the running for #3 we have to start a frantic buzz on Tauru to RFC.

Meanwhile maybe Dalrymple wants Tauru. Dalrymple could menace the Tauru selection. Then trade #3 up to #2. And *smile* Taylor's Christmas. And get somebody else.

No way would you move back a pick from 13 to 20 to move another up from 11 to 9 in this draft.

And definitely not to take a someone who projects as a lead-up 2nd/3rd tall forward who gets very little elevation.

Reckon Armstrong is one of the riskier picks in this draft with a higher chance of busting than most.

Especially with so much quality midfield, small/medium forward and defensive intercept/running talent around that 6 to 15 pick mark.
Forwards only ever show glimpses at this level, the best forward CV actually came from Schache who probably benefitted from the extra space afforded at junior level. I'll have a closer look at Armstrong this week, you may be right but then again, Buddy was also criticised for double grabs and was even nicknamed Buddy Flanklin. Just looking at the current crop, Marshall played one good game at state level, ditto Jefferson, there's always an element of speculation but at least Armstrong won't be pushed around in one on one contests.

Reactions: 4 users
If we're in the running for #3 we have to start a frantic buzz on Tauru to RFC.

Meanwhile maybe Dalrymple wants Tauru. Dalrymple could menace the Tauru selection. Then trade #3 up to #2. And *smile* Taylor's Christmas. And get somebody else.
Talk now the Roos could get pick 13.

Could swap with Dees

NM = 5 & 9
Dees = 2 & 13

It’s understood the main reason the Suns would abort the complex three-way trade is because North Melbourne has blown rivals out of the water for Gold Coast’s pick 13.

The Kangaroos’ enthusiasm in getting that pick has grown significantly since Melbourne pulled out of the running by doing a deal with Essendon for pick 9.

North Melbourne has a future first round pick on the table for Gold Coast’s pick 13, but has now added more draft capital on top of that future pick that will most likely be high at the end of 2025.

Super trade with Brisbane, this is shaping up as a terrific launch pad, we could feasibly land 3 key forwards this draft.
Interested in your view on why it is a super trade? I get that the Brisbane pick is valuable. But why didn’t Blair offload the junk picks rather than the very valuable pick 32? We aren’t going to use them, and the Lions presumably wouldn’t care how the points for Ashcroft were compiled?

What do we think of 1,2,11,18,20,23 and 24.

That's a Jagga-FOS combo and a lot of other talent.

I think 6+10 goes close to getting 2. Norf get Tauru plus a very good player on top.

I'd do it, I reckon 6 is kind of a bit middling, so happy to trade it up into the real elite area of the draft. I'm defo in for a Jagga / FOS combo.

Reactions: 4 users
Interested in your view on why it is a super trade? I get that the Brisbane pick is valuable. But why didn’t Blair offload the junk picks rather than the very valuable pick 32? We aren’t going to use them, and the Lions presumably wouldn’t care how the points for Ashcroft were compiled?
Pick 20 is right in the sweet spot for a tall forward, it effectively gives us an ironclad hand to address our biggest deficiency. If we pick multiple forwards we can allow for 1 bust, that's just being a realist, the numbers don't lie but in any rebuild you have to get the talls in early and the best way to do that is to recruit 2-3. There will always be busts, Clarkson nailed Buddy & Roughe but missed on Thorp & Dowler. Despite these misses it was the correct strategy, 50% strike rate is the norm.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd do it, I reckon 6 is kind of a bit middling, so happy to trade it up into the real elite area of the draft. I'm defo in for a Jagga / FOS combo.
Jagga & FOS would be fine, I think this is the best combo for the top end picks.

Reactions: 2 users
Freo confirming a minute ago, strong interest in Baker and discussions with Richmond.

Better come up with something good Clarke.
West Coast can't afford to lose the first top line player wanting to come to the club in years. They want 13 and are hoping we get it but as things stand even 20 may be starting to looking ok.