2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Not really fussed who we pick as I'll leave that to the experts but Lalor & O'Sullivan clearly look the most appealing from this amateur perspective despite some injury concerns.
It's hopefully just the start of a long career. As I've said several times before Cotchy had a lot of injury issues early too.
Dylan Grimes.

Reactions: 4 users
Dylan Grimes.
Dan Hannebery, Nathan Freeman, Harley Bennell, Reid, Cyril Rioli etc etc And that's without looking at 1st rounders who never got out of first gear like those guys did.

I like Lalor as a player but a massive and unnecessary risk to be going 1 with him.

Pick 6 or so, sure. But not 1.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Dan Hannebery, Nathan Freeman, Harley Bennell, Reid, Cyril Rioli etc etc And that's without looking at 1st rounders who never got out of first gear like those guys did.

I like Lalor as a player but a massive and unnecessary risk to be going 1 with him.

The crucial thing is what type of Hammy injury this is , if it’s just a bad tweak that there giving extra time to get 100% right then fair enough take him at 1 if we rate him the best , however if he’s got some sought of back/hip structural issue then take the FOS , maybe worth the risk at 6 still , however Hammy or not can’t see him sliding that far.

Trainor is the reported slider that interests me with a pick around 10 , looks super classy , however who knows with his concussions on how close he could be to having to give it away , we are in a position where he could be a player we give a full pre season or more of non contact work , building him up to a second half of 2025 maybe even next pre season.

Hotton sounds now like they’ll be no sliding after his ACL and could go top 10

Best of good luck Toce

Reactions: 2 users

Astbury, too. He was fine his first season, but then dislocated his knee and kept getting hit by the injury gods.

Reactions: 1 user
The crucial thing is what type of Hammy injury this is , if it’s just a bad tweak that there giving extra time to get 100% right then fair enough take him at 1 if we rate him the best , however if he’s got some sought of back/hip structural issue then take the FOS , maybe worth the risk at 6 still , however Hammy or not can’t see him sliding that far.

Trainor is the reported slider that interests me with a pick around 10 , looks super classy , however who knows with his concussions on how close he could be to having to give it away , we are in a position where he could be a player we give a full pre season or more of non contact work , building him up to a second half of 2025 maybe even next pre season.

Hotton sounds now like they’ll be no sliding after his ACL and could go top 10

Best of good luck Toce
His hamstring was a grade 2 from what I hear. Close to surgery. Plus, he's also had a hip injury to answer your question about structural integrity. A calf as well I believe, but I stand to be corrected on that one.

Last edited:
Some saying do the deal from freos 10, 11, 18 for baker and bolton. That should be our last deal, if all else fails.

The low balling in the media of Bolton is ridiculous well at least some Freo fans see his worth but forget 10&18 we will get 10 & 11 or else he stays. Freo will not pass up this chance on a match winner.
Then we look to obtain eagles pick 3, in return for Baker and 11 Or Blues deal with eagles for their pick 3 and hand over 12&14 with 12 coming to us for Baker. Hate for CarlSCUM to get their hands on pick 3 but just going through some possible scenarios.
And our backup plan Freo if any of the above cant get done, we trade bolton and baker for 10, 11, 18

bolton.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Some saying do the deal from freos 10, 11, 18 for baker and bolton. That should be our last deal, if all else fails.

The low balling in the media of Bolton is ridiculous well at least some Freo fans see his worth but forget 10&18 we will get 10 & 11 or else he stays. Freo will not pass up this chance on a match winner.
Then we look to obtain eagles pick 3, in return for Baker and 11 Or Blues deal with eagles for their pick 3 and hand over 12&14 with 12 coming to us for Baker. Hate for CarlSCUM to get their hands on pick 3 but just going through some possible scenarios.
And our backup plan Freo if any of the above cant get done, we trade bolton and baker for 10, 11, 18

View attachment 24610
Going from 10,11,14 for Bolton and Baker to 10,11,18 (12, 13, 21 in all reality), just wouldn't be acceptable for mine, and a poor outcome.

Reactions: 8 users
Going from 10,11,14 for Bolton and Baker to 10,11,18 (12, 13, 21 in all reality), just wouldn't be acceptable for mine, and a poor outcome.
Bolton is worth 2 picks top 10. 25yo Elite Forward/Mid.
Has performed in Finals

Reactions: 4 users
The board that clubs are working with might look something like this:

1-2 Lalor or FOS.

3-8 Smith, Draper, Langford, Smillie, Tauru. Maybe Reid.

If this is right it devalues pick #3. And ups the value of #2. What if WCE expresses interest in Tauru? Can Clarke trade #3 up? Can Ogilvie? Promise not bidding on Tauru if we can get FOS. Mm...

Reactions: 1 users
He made the initial injury worse by staying on field ,silly move by him and the club,BUT the season was nearly over and he would have missed the remaining matches anyway.
I am not concerned about the injury.

His upside is massive for all the draftee’s especially once he gets into a professional environment.

Question is what that upside will be? Worst case Cam Rayner best case an almost Dusty.

The board that clubs are working with might look something like this:

1-2 Lalor or FOS.

3-8 Smith, Draper, Langford, Smillie, Tauru. Maybe Reid.

If this is right it devalues pick #3. And ups the value of #2. What if WCE expresses interest in Tauru? Can Clarke trade #3 up? Can Ogilvie? Promise not bidding on Tauru if we can get FOS. Mm...
Forget pick 3 Jack. It’s worth no more than pick 6.

The real value is pick 2. Willy T knows it.

Question is will we give up pick 6 & 11 to get pick 2?

Reactions: 1 users

That's the concensus, SA. #3 Approximately equals #7.

So. Clarke has a dud pick. How can he improve it? A threat on Tauru?

To do that we first have to get 10/11 or 10/18 off Freo. But they're offering these now as part of a Baker deal. They'll stonewall the Bolton deal, leaving us without 10/11 to trade with Baker for 3. So currently it's 10,11,18 for Baker and Bolton, and the Eagles are locked out.
Getting or missing out on Baker is a big issue for West Coast.

Maybe the Rioli deal will be made first, allowing us to trade pick 13 and Baker to West Coast.
Then Fremantle have a decision to make.
They are not stupid enough to say no.

Not sure why pick 3 isnt a prize- based on performance there is 1 clear stand out- Smith- and based on potential there are 2 clear standouts- FOS and Bengal.
Surely any 2 of those is better than 1 and one of the next line? or all 3!