2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I am hoping for 8 or more.
4 mids
2 forward talls
1 forward small
1 utility
The more mids the better but the talls will have to be taken early, will be interesting to see the approach at pick 6 if that is the Rioli compensation. You could probably squeeze in 2 blue ribbon mids and then use the Bolton compo on the best forward prospects. That would be my initial thinking.

Reactions: 4 users
We will never take a ruck in the draft. We don't respect the position whatsoever.
True, I've always scratched my head on this count, any surplus can be ontraded at a premium, no need for Naismith types.

Reactions: 1 users
Risk versus reward, I don't think you can pick for upside at 1, there has to be an element of conservatism. There's overall production to consider and he lags Smith by quite some margin, there's also a hip concern plaguing O'Sullivan.
The hip injury didn’t seem to hamper his combine results ? A good junior CV is great but how the player translates to AFL is the most critical judgement.

Reactions: 3 users
The hip injury didn’t seem to hamper his combine results ? A good junior CV is great but how the player translates to AFL is the most critical judgement.
He doesn't have a hip injury. He had a corkie on the outside of his thigh. He had it strapped up with padding after a week off. He's fine.

Reactions: 4 users
Back to ground zero, this draft is the last chance saloon before Tasmania hit the scene. My fear is the lack of talls at the pointy end, I feel a reach is necessary but not at 1. Best CV belongs to Jagga Smith, no risks please, this isn't the year to get cute.
G'day Bullus, happy to see ya back.

Reactions: 5 users
This is very similar to the Walsh draft, as an initial building block I think you pick a future leader with exposed form against senior bodies. O'Sullivan also had a good VFL outing but Smith has had a nearly flawless build-up. The numbers cannot be ignored, contested game elite, he gets into the right places at the right time, very good reader of the play. He's on the shortish side but taller than Serong and that's a decent yardstick.

The more mids the better but the talls will have to be taken early, will be interesting to see the approach at pick 6 if that is the Rioli compensation. You could probably squeeze in 2 blue ribbon mids and then use the Bolton compo on the best forward prospects. That would be my initial thinking.
Just on the talls / key forwards. There's Armstrong n the Viking rated around the top 10 or so picks, neither of them the genuinely big key forward size nowadays, around the 193 to 195 cm mark. Then there's a few blokes around the 200 cm mark that rate around the early 20's of the draft.
Obviously gunna depend on what draft picks we actually end up having but wouldn't it be pushing the boundaries a bit going that early for key forwards?

Just on the talls / key forwards. There's Armstrong n the Viking rated around the top 10 or so picks, neither of them the genuinely big key forward size nowadays, around the 193 to 195 cm mark. Then there's a few blokes around the 200 cm mark that rate around the early 20's of the draft.
Obviously gunna depend on what draft picks we actually end up having but wouldn't it be pushing the boundaries a bit going that early for key forwards?
We have to take Armstrong, I'd rather 195cm than a 200cm key forward. This is the point whereby we need an ironclad plan, whether that involves pick 6 which is a tad bit early looking at the mids on offer. If Bolton yields 2 picks in the 10-15 range then we trade up and trade down with the second pick - something like pick 9 & 20 for pick 11 & 13.

Reactions: 3 users
Great to have you back bullus_hit. I don’t always agree with you opinions but god dammit do I respect them.

Also, props for being bang on about the state of our list long before anyone else saw it.

Reactions: 7 users
Fos is our pick 1 has alot more upside than jagga combine just reaffirmed that

Reactions: 1 user
This is very similar to the Walsh draft, as an initial building block I think you pick a future leader with exposed form against senior bodies. O'Sullivan also had a good VFL outing but Smith has had a nearly flawless build-up. The numbers cannot be ignored, contested game elite, he gets into the right places at the right time, very good reader of the play. He's on the shortish side but taller than Serong and that's a decent yardstick.
I like Smith, he has had a wonderful year, couldn’t ask for more. He is one of the most natural extractors I have seen at junior level and would be an asset with the right players around him. My only concern is the rest of his game appears to be fairly average and he doesn’t seem to have any outstanding athletic traits. Is he too one dimensional for a pick one ?? Anyway, all will be revealed in a few weeks time.

My boy Dim !! Want him any pick after 20 if we have them.
This is why we can afford to trade up for Armstrong, there's a few candidates in the 20-30 range, Shanahan & Whitlock others who could come under consideration. But I think it will have to be 2 mids with the first couple & two forwards with the Bolton compo.

Reactions: 1 user
I like Smith, he has had a wonderful year, couldn’t ask for more. He is one of the most natural extractors I have seen at junior level and would be an asset with the right players around him. My only concern is the rest of his game appears to be fairly average and he doesn’t seem to have any outstanding athletic traits. Is he too one dimensional for a pick one ?? Anyway, all will be revealed in a few weeks time.
His tank must be ok, he's already hit the 40 possession mark, he's also very organised so I'm not overly concerned about his ability to distribute. Unfortunately this draft doesn't have an absolute glamour pick without rolling the dice on upside. Taking O'Sullivan might turn out ok but I don't see midfield numbers that screams bluechip selection. This is one pick you can't afford to waste, even if that means missing out on the best player. I also think the game is swinging back to the shortish midfielders, Rowell, Butters, Serong, Daicos etc. I think this draft is very even but we'll be sizing up x-factor at pick 6 with any luck.

• Wow
In all likelihood Ashcroft will get called out at pick 1 which takes some heat off the Richmond player, that can only be a good thing.

Reactions: 12 users