2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

So we'd take Donut Guts at number 1 with just a handful of games this year - most just on the ok side - and with a myriad of soft tissue injuries as well (one which he came back unfit from) and a recent and nasty 3 month hamstring as well - over Jagpipes and FOS ?

No way.

For as much as I like Donut Guts it's FOS or Jagga at 1 before him every single day of the week and twice on Sundays.

didn’t know that about lalor - that makes sense what you’re saying

AFL Draft: Richmond supporter Harvey Langford on handling pressure of being potential No. 1 pick
He grew up a Tiger fan and idolised Dustin Martin. So it’s little wonder Harvey Langford loves the idea of being a Richmond player. Could he be pick No.1? See profiles of the contenders here.:

Potential No. 1 selection Harvey Langford says it would be a “dream” to join Richmond as the countdown to November’s AFL national draft ramps up.
Langford was at the MCG for the first day of the national draft combine on Friday, meeting clubs and completing physical testing.
The Dandenong Stingrays product grew up a Tigers fan, idolising recently-retired superstar Dustin Martin.
A 190cm big-bodied midfielder, Langford also made a VFL debut for Richmond in August.
“Anywhere I go will be a dream,” Langford said.
“But obviously going for Richmond, (that) would be amazing.”

Langford said he would not be phased about carrying the No. 1 draftee tag if that was to eventuate. Richmond holds that prized selection.
“To think that there is a possibility for No. 1 (is) pretty amazing. I guess we’ll just see how it all pans out,” he said.
“Obviously there will be heaps of pressure coming into next year, but I think I’ll be able to handle it pretty well. I’ve got heaps of support around me, so that will help out heaps.”
Langford was a joint winner of the Larke Medal as the best player of the under-18 national championships while playing for Vic County earlier this year.

The 18-year-old averaged 25.5 disposals and 6.3 clearances per match during the tournament and models his game on Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli.
“He’s obviously a bit bigger midfielder,” Langford said.
“(I like) how he’s able to go down forward and impact on the scoreboard and in the air. It’s something that I try to do.”
This year’s national draft combine has brought together 65 top draft prospects from around the country, but many are not completing testing due to injury issues.
Brisbane Lions father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft is one of those sidelined as he recovers from post-season shoulder surgery, days after his older brother, Will, won the Norm Smith Medal in the Lions’ grand final victory.

Reactions: 1 users
8. Josh Smillie
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

Midfielder, 194cm, 17/5/2006
Talent League stats (avg): 25.5 disposals, 11.3 contested possessions, 4.8 clearances
The Age’s August top 30: 4
This selection will be in Richmond’s hands once they trade Dan Rioli to Gold Coast, and the Tigers are bullish on Smillie, who has been likened to Patrick Cripps, despite him not meeting expectations this year. There was No.1 hype about him early in the year, but a moderate championships display hurt his stock. Some recruiters believe Smillie’s best position is at half-back – querying his running ability and impact below his knees – whereas others view him as a big-bodied midfielder who can go forward. His performances this year may not match the Langfords and Smiths, but this is a pick for the future and what Smillie might become. He is tall, strong and has good skills, so there is potential here.
Not much talk about this from the Age article.

What are people's thoughts on us being hot for Smillie Vanilli at the pick 6 we get from GC?

Last edited:
I want to draft everyone who is good...simple as that.
We deserve it.
Whats the problem?

So...need to get first 10 picks.
How do we do that?

Spot on, WT. And the years after.

Then there's the likelihood that some/many players don't have their contracts indexed to the TPP.
I think it's more a club wide call than individual players, think I read that Essendon and Carlton don't include TTP uplift in contracts.

I think we do.

Reactions: 1 user
So we'd take Donut Guts at number 1 with just a handful of games this year - most just on the ok side - and with a myriad of soft tissue-hip injuries as well (one which he came back unfit from) and a recent and nasty 3 month hamstring as well - over Jagpipes and FOS ?

No way.

For as much as I like Donut Guts it's FOS or Jagga at 1 before him every single day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Yeah it’s a massive risk. Toce must have a big set of balls to make this as his first call.

So we'd take Donut Guts at number 1 with just a handful of games this year - most just on the ok side - and with a myriad of soft tissue-hip injuries as well (one which he came back unfit from) and a recent and nasty 3 month hamstring as well - over Jagpipes and FOS ?

No way.

Just curious why you wouldn't take Lalor based on his form this year, but would take FOS?

Lalor may have the highest ceiling out of everyone in the draft pool

Dusty with a screamer in his locker

I am happy to swing for the fences on this one, we should know better than anyone what a difference someone like Dusty makes to team success

Just curious why you wouldn't take Lalor based on his form this year, but would take FOS?
Didn't I just explain that ? Serious hamstring and other soft tissues.

Plus FOS has a 2023 year and general junior career behind him that's in excess of what Lalor has produced.

Last edited:
I know we are most likely to get 6&20 for Rioli but would love to somehow get our hands on pick 13 in some sort of deal.
Here's an article from today on the AFL site!

SUNS PICK TO UNLOCK HOUSTON TRADE?

Gold Coast’s Pick 13 could be the catalyst to Dan Houston’s return to Victoria amid continued rival interest in the prized draft selection.

It was originally the No. 12 selection before St Kilda’s compensatory Pick 8 for Josh Battle shifted it down one spot on Friday.

AFL Media journalist Cal Twomey reports Collingwood and Carlton are among the sides ‘fiercely chasing’ the potentially-attainable Suns pick.

It was reported just a few days agoby Twomey that up to six clubs had eyes on the selection, with Gold Coast preparing to match an early-first-round rival bid for Academy prospect Leo Lombard.

In addition to the Pies and Blues — and North Melbourne and Adelaide from Twomey’s previous report — Melbourne, Sydney, GWS and the Western Bulldogs are said to have shown interest in acquiring the pick; eight in total.

Collingwood — whose interest in Houston remains ‘strong’ — is thought to be eyeing Pick 13 in an arrangement that also involves sending John Noble to the Suns.

In one scenario, the Magpies could on-trade Pick 13 to the Power along with forward Joe Richards — who is seriously weighing up an offer from Port Adelaide — for Houston.

On the other hand, Carlton and Melbourne are each considering sending a future first-rounder to the Suns in exchange for No. 13.

The Blues are a hot candidate to land Houston, wanting to on-trade Pick 13 to Port Adelaide for the All-Australian — but Twomey believes that selection alone wouldn’t be enough to get a deal over the line.

I want to draft everyone who is good...simple as that.
We deserve it.
Whats the problem?

So...need to get first 10 picks.
How do we do that?
I’ve said it before. We get the first pick of the night…we just keep calling out names until we’ve finished. (At pick 11)
The afl is a clown show, we just have to adapt.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This guy has always been interesting. Not the biggest numbers of all the mids and can get lost a bit at times, but only started playing midfield this year after being a defender. Athletic, strong, tough, good both ways, big, can mark and looks like he'll go all day.

Lot of upside. 10-15 bargain possibly.

Last edited:
Yes...I said once he reminds me of Josh Kennnedy of the Swans. ...10 years or so back..loping run to every contest...not pretty but very effective.