2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

The first round compo picks bleeding Brisbane as it’s making their first pick rapidly decrease in value so less points for them to work with
What they really should be doing is locking in the points as soon as the grand final is done.
Compensation picks added for free agents anywhere in the draft should have a zero points allocation.
On top of this it would prevent academy/father sons players taken by matching bids with late picks would not affect the points value of picks further down the order when they "push in" to get their player

Reactions: 2 users
First reason we should bid Ashcroft at 1. Bleed Brisvegas as hard as possible to get the best kid in the draft n they just might not be able to match a bid for Marshall. At the very least they'll have to dig real deep to get both.
Sweep the leg
Animated GIF

It wouldn't be a bad thing if he got a big offer to move.
Picks 1 and 2 or 2 picks or a swap of players.
If there's ever a time to clear the list it's this year and next.
We can't afford to watch a 28 year old miss read a high ball or kick the ball directly to the opposition.
Who the hell are you talking about? There's more little white lies in your post than the oh great orange man.

yes it’s nice to whinge but compare the contracts

6 years @ $850k

Vs

5 years at $600k

Yes, but that was 5 years ago and should have gotten us band 2, end of first round. Player wages have gone up a lot since then.
Cornes kicked up such a stink as the reigning premiers were going to get a first-rounder and the AFL crumbled and gave us band 3

So it was a lot closer? All I’m saying is that we have to compare like for like
Yep that’s what I did, you were right $600 is $850 in today’s money.

the contract values are $1m apart which is still a lot for compensation calcs

Reactions: 1 user
This current incarnation of the draft system is why so much of this thread is wasted energy. Just too many variables to get caught up in it. Hard enough for the professionals to stay across all the curveballs thrown by the AFL let alone the average punter.

Reactions: 9 users
But isn't it a shame that sensible discourse is a waste of time...only because there is an inept and corrupt governing body that manipulates the system to whatever benefits their agenda of the day?

I'd rather keep posting and debating, because its what we are passionate about...and also even if it is perhaps futile - it keeps a spotlight on this mismanagement of our great game.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
The Age has us taking Lalor at 1 today.

Had a good “source” …
who wished to remain anonymous so that they could speak freely….
suggest the same this week….

@Dyer'ere framed a betting market on another thread which had Lalor slightly ahead of FoS,Langford and Jagga.

And that is what the source hinted….
Lalor vs FoS

Regards,
Stan

Reactions: 10 users

Had a good “source” …

@Dyer'ere framed a betting market on another thread which had Lalor slightly ahead of FoS,Langford and Jagga.

Lalor vs FoS

Regards,
Stan
Can you post the article? I want to see what other insights they have.

Had a look at some Lalor highlights last night. Wow, not sure if it's just the number 4 but he does look very Dusty like. Probably a better mark than Dusty too.

Reactions: 4 users

Had a good “source” …

Lalor vs FoS

Regards,
Stan
I have been saying that for months :LOL:

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Had a look at some Lalor highlights last night. Wow, not sure if it's just the number 4 but he does look very Dusty like. Probably a better mark than Dusty too.
Plays like Dusty Is a long accurate kick, likes to break tackles, can play forward and kick a goal wears #4
The footy gods are telling us something pick him at #1 tigers

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Far far better mark than the Dustbag but to my eyes doesn't have the (early) pace. I think it's clear we a gonna try to get pick two. Epping AND Fos. Yes please.

Reactions: 1 user
Far far better mark than the Dustbag but to my eyes doesn't have the (early) pace. I think it's clear we a gonna try to get pick two. Epping AND Fos. Yes please.
Lalor and FOS do feel like the two highest 'ceiling' picks. Roll the dice!

Reactions: 3 users
So we'd take Donut Guts at number 1 with just a handful of games this year - most just on the ok side - and with a myriad of soft tissue-hip injuries as well (one which he came back unfit from) and a recent and nasty 3 month hamstring as well - over Jagpipes and FOS ?

No way.

For as much as I like Donut Guts it's FOS or Jagga at 1 before him every single day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users