2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

It’s $738k in todays numbers, and its total contract value that is considered.

Salary cap in 2019 was $12.8m
Its currently $15.8m (23% increase)

Ellis contract - $3m
Perryman - $5.1m (70% difference)

In today’s dollars that’s a 47% difference in contract value on comparative basis. Still a huge difference.
Dont look at todays salary cap. Look at next years - $17.7m. That's what's allowing such large offers to Perryman and Battle.

Reactions: 3 users
Dont look at todays salary cap. Look at next years - $17.7m. That's what's allowing such large offers to Perryman and Battle.
Thanks I will adjust the numbers

It is $838k in todays numbers, so $600k in old money is correct.

However it still doesn’t make up for the total contract value difference

Its currently $17.7m (38% increase)

Ellis contract in todays $4.14m
Perryman - $5.1m (24% difference)

didn’t realise it was such a big jump next year but a $1m difference is still consistent for difference in compensation purposes

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does this compo pick *smile* happen in US sports?
The AFL copied from the NFL...but being the morons they stuffed it. In the NFL they only give end of lower round compensation picks nothing in the early rounds - which is what screws all the other teams over in the AFL. Yet just another of the myriad of examples of AFL incompetence - that they haven't fixed for the years its been in.

Reactions: 5 users
The AFL copied from the NFL...but being the morons they stuffed it. In the NFL they only give end of lower round compensation picks nothing in the early rounds - which is what screws all the other teams over in the AFL. Yet just another of the myriad of examples of AFL incompetence - that they haven't fixed for the years its been in.
Yep and the NFL have a more detailed and complicated analysis than this primary school AFL.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope Hartley & co find a way to counter screw over the afl again somehow (i.e. the Baker to WCE via PSD & Graham #2 F/A compo proposal), where there's a will, there is a way.

Reactions: 2 users
Spot on, WT. And the years after.

Then there's the likelihood that some/many players don't have their contracts indexed to the TPP.

Furthermore there will be polarising of player contracts by role. Whats the likelihood that the lowest paid regular players are not indexed?

The market has been changing and continues to. It's not just the 30%TPP but the flow ons.

didn’t realise it was such a big jump next year but a $1m difference is still consistent for difference in compensation purposes
Good stuff, TT, but it still feels anomalous to me and exactly the sort of situation that the review process should adjust.

Perryman is nobody's idea of an A-grader (in the Cognilio, Green, Kelly mould) yet this is A-grade compensation.

In 8 seasons, he has finished just twice in the top 10 of the Giants' best and fairest. A career total of 4 Brownlow votes. No notable awards, including no AA nominations.

The AFL has form in this area. Compensation for the Giants has consistently been overs:

Harry Perryman—band 1/pick 16
Matt Flynn—end of second round
Aidan Corr—pick 31
Zac Williams—pick 10
Adam Tomlinson—pick 40

No club has benefitted more from the compensation process than GWS.

And some of the compensation picks look dubious at best.

Reactions: 8 users
Even a busted clock is right twice a day:

"There is serious problems with it, there always has been, and this is just the most latest wave of it."
- Damian Barrett on free-agency compensation

Reactions: 4 users
So with 3 FA compos so far, plus the 2 picks gifted to North last year our 1st pick of rd 2, which should be pick 19, is now 24.
With Ashcroft, Marshall and Kako likely to be good on before then it will be at least 27 come the start of night 2.

It's a farce.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
Perryman 900k give me a spell
It's a ridiculous sum for a tidy but otherwise unremarkable footballer.

The problem the AFL has created here is that, by basing the compensation on the dollars and contract term, it has failed to recognise the key fact in trading:

You have to overpay to secure your target.

Dumb system run by boneheads.

Just spoke to Harvey Langford on the news.
Richmond supporter.
Wanted to play with Dusty.
But happy Dusty not playing with Suns.
Like him already.

Reactions: 10 users
Thanks I will adjust the numbers

It is $838k in todays numbers, so $600k in old money is correct.

However it still doesn’t make up for the total contract value difference

Its currently $17.7m (38% increase)

Ellis contract in todays $4.14m
Perryman - $5.1m (24% difference)

So it was a lot closer? All I’m saying is that we have to compare like for like

If Brisbane cannot get enough points then they will have to concede and not match a bid. So it is possible
First reason we should bid Ashcroft at 1. Bleed Brisvegas as hard as possible to get the best kid in the draft n they just might not be able to match a bid for Marshall. At the very least they'll have to dig real deep to get both.

First reason we should bid Ashcroft at 1. Bleed Brisvegas as hard as possible to get the best kid in the draft n they just might not be able to match a bid for Marshall. At the very least they'll have to dig real deep to get both.
The first round compo picks bleeding Brisbane as it’s making their first pick rapidly decrease in value so less points for them to work with

Reactions: 2 users
Spot on, WT. And the years after.

Then there's the likelihood that some/many players don't have their contracts indexed to the TPP.

Furthermore there will be polarising of player contracts by role. Whats the likelihood that the lowest paid regular players are not indexed?

The market has been changing and continues to. It's not just the 30%TPP but the flow ons.
There was an article around the time that the salary cap negotiations were being finalised that claimed only a couple of clubs didn't have the players contracts indexed to the TPP. Pretty certain that Essendrugs was one of them n got half an idea Wet Coke was another, but it was only 2 or 3 clubs all the rest were fully indexed.

Reactions: 1 user