2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

There was an article around the time that the salary cap negotiations were being finalised that claimed only a couple of clubs didn't have the players contracts indexed to the TPP. Pretty certain that Essendrugs was one of them n got half an idea Wet Coke was another, but it was only 2 or 3 clubs all the rest were fully indexed.

I think it's more a club wide call than individual players, think I read that Essendon and Carlton don't include TTP uplift in contracts.

I think we do.

Thank you, gentlemen. Beaut information.

Didn't I just explain that ? Serious hamstring and other soft tissues.

Plus FOS has a 2023 year and general junior career behind him that's in excess of what Lalor has produced.
You also said a "handful of games- most just on the ok side." Which would apply equally to FOS.
Is it the soft tissue injuries that worry you the most?

I know we are most likely to get 6&20 for Rioli but would love to somehow get our hands on pick 13 in some sort of deal.
Here's an article from today on the AFL site!

SUNS PICK TO UNLOCK HOUSTON TRADE?

Gold Coast’s Pick 13 could be the catalyst to Dan Houston’s return to Victoria amid continued rival interest in the prized draft selection.

It was originally the No. 12 selection before St Kilda’s compensatory Pick 8 for Josh Battle shifted it down one spot on Friday.

AFL Media journalist Cal Twomey reports Collingwood and Carlton are among the sides ‘fiercely chasing’ the potentially-attainable Suns pick.

It was reported just a few days agoby Twomey that up to six clubs had eyes on the selection, with Gold Coast preparing to match an early-first-round rival bid for Academy prospect Leo Lombard.

In addition to the Pies and Blues — and North Melbourne and Adelaide from Twomey’s previous report — Melbourne, Sydney, GWS and the Western Bulldogs are said to have shown interest in acquiring the pick; eight in total.

Collingwood — whose interest in Houston remains ‘strong’ — is thought to be eyeing Pick 13 in an arrangement that also involves sending John Noble to the Suns.

In one scenario, the Magpies could on-trade Pick 13 to the Power along with forward Joe Richards — who is seriously weighing up an offer from Port Adelaide — for Houston.

On the other hand, Carlton and Melbourne are each considering sending a future first-rounder to the Suns in exchange for No. 13.

The Blues are a hot candidate to land Houston, wanting to on-trade Pick 13 to Port Adelaide for the All-Australian — but Twomey believes that selection alone wouldn’t be enough to get a deal over the line.
Suns dont have pick 20 its now 23
AFL wants us to accept 6 & 23 for Rioli thats why their journos are pushing it We need to demand 6 & 13
As for Pick 13 for Noble is ridiculous

Reactions: 3 users
I know we are most likely to get 6&20 for Rioli but would love to somehow get our hands on pick 13 in some sort of deal.
Here's an article from today on the AFL site!

SUNS PICK TO UNLOCK HOUSTON TRADE?

Gold Coast’s Pick 13 could be the catalyst to Dan Houston’s return to Victoria amid continued rival interest in the prized draft selection.

It was originally the No. 12 selection before St Kilda’s compensatory Pick 8 for Josh Battle shifted it down one spot on Friday.

AFL Media journalist Cal Twomey reports Collingwood and Carlton are among the sides ‘fiercely chasing’ the potentially-attainable Suns pick.

It was reported just a few days agoby Twomey that up to six clubs had eyes on the selection, with Gold Coast preparing to match an early-first-round rival bid for Academy prospect Leo Lombard.

In addition to the Pies and Blues — and North Melbourne and Adelaide from Twomey’s previous report — Melbourne, Sydney, GWS and the Western Bulldogs are said to have shown interest in acquiring the pick; eight in total.

Collingwood — whose interest in Houston remains ‘strong’ — is thought to be eyeing Pick 13 in an arrangement that also involves sending John Noble to the Suns.

In one scenario, the Magpies could on-trade Pick 13 to the Power along with forward Joe Richards — who is seriously weighing up an offer from Port Adelaide — for Houston.

On the other hand, Carlton and Melbourne are each considering sending a future first-rounder to the Suns in exchange for No. 13.

The Blues are a hot candidate to land Houston, wanting to on-trade Pick 13 to Port Adelaide for the All-Australian — but Twomey believes that selection alone wouldn’t be enough to get a deal over the line.
He is 27 and at the peak of his powers. A contracted player with 3 premierships and a JDM. The Suns badly need what we have to offer and they need it now.

7 and 13 for Dan coupled with say the offer to pay 50% of his salary over two yrs, is a perfectly reasonable ask. Once our terms are put we shouldn’t budge.

We’ve owe Dimma absolutely nothing.

Reactions: 6 users
So we'd take Donut Guts at number 1 with just a handful of games this year - most just on the ok side - and with a myriad of soft tissue-hip injuries as well (one which he came back unfit from) and a recent and nasty 3 month hamstring as well - over Jagpipes and FOS ?

No way.

For as much as I like Donut Guts it's FOS or Jagga at 1 before him every single day of the week and twice on Sundays.
We aren't drafting for the coates league ,Lalor is the best all round player,and when you consider most of his matches he played he was underdone ,the upside is BIG.
Seeing you don't want him at no1 Robert is a even more reason we must take him :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
AFL wants us to accept 6 & 23 for Rioli thats why their journos are pushing it We need to demand 6 & 13

Yeah I know it's moved from 20 to 23 yesterday with the compo picks pushing it back
Pies' offer is their future first and noble.

Absolutely, need to play hardball or look to also get that pick 13 which is up for grabs.

compo.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Well the AFL can suck on our balls.
They are contracted players and we should only take what is in the best interests of the RFC.

The 2km distance is also a good barometer of athletes’ speed-endurance mix, providing a snippet of how they may fare in more manageable stints rather than a full 10-15km distance they may run in-game. Typically, times of under six minutes and 30 seconds are considered high-level.

10th place in last year's 2km trial was 6.17 as a comparison, so if FOS/Smith & Langford have all clocked around 6.25 there is nothing much to separate them on endurance as they all performed at a high level.

Langford is a good footballer but i have big concerns about his pace, 20m Sprint results will be interesting but as a reminder to all this is what these bog average midfielders :cool: recorded at the combine for the 20m sprint:

Marcus Bontempelli's 3.2 and Patrick Cripps' 3.23.18 Oct 2021

Reactions: 3 users
The 2km distance is also a good barometer of athletes’ speed-endurance mix, providing a snippet of how they may fare in more manageable stints rather than a full 10-15km distance they may run in-game. Typically, times of under six minutes and 30 seconds are considered high-level.

10th place in last year's 2km trial was 6.17 as a comparison, so if FOS/Smith & Langford have all clocked around 6.25 there is nothing much to separate them on endurance as they all performed at a high level.

Langford is a good footballer but i have big concerns about his pace, 20m Sprint results will be interesting but as a reminder to all this is what these bog average midfielders :cool: recorded at the combine for the 20m sprint:

Marcus Bontempelli's 3.2 and Patrick Cripps' 3.23.18 Oct 2021
Great point!! look at the top 10 lists from results over the last 10 years hardly an elite AFL player in sight.

Reactions: 1 user
Great point!! look at the top 10 lists from results over the last 10 years hardly an elite AFL player in sight.
You use the combine to rule people out, not select them. If a player is an absolute tortoise you put a line through him, but anywhere from high 2s to low 3s is plenty fast for AFL.

You use the combine to rule people out, not select them. If a player is an absolute tortoise you put a line through him, but anywhere from high 2s to low 3s is plenty fast for AFL.
Yet we selected a Big Bodied midfielder in a previous draft that recorded in the bottom 20% in the 2km trial who never increased his tank, since delisted and plying his trade in lower leagues.