2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I wonder if Tauru is still growing taller and how early we would consider him. With question marks on many of our talls, he looks a worthwhile investment and increasingly likely to go very early.

Reactions: 3 users
something about this Draper business doesn't sit right with me. he's counting his chickens. seems he also has a family member posting on BF ala Matt White's dad here...

is there something amiss in his camp?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
something about this Draper business doesn't sit right with me. he's counting his chickens. seems he also has a family member posting on BF ala Matt White's dad here...

is there something amiss in his camp?
Contrary to those saying this is great that he doesn't want to play for the Crows...let's get him...yadda yadda.....your observation is far more astute. ;)

Last edited:
This comes from where?
A guy who knows a guy, who worked at a pub with a bloke who has a gardner who read it on Yze's desk while weeding at Punt Rd.

Its mail - I trust it - but I wouldn't bet your salary on it. Even if is gospel, doesn't mean they can execute strategy 100%.

FWIW - at no stage have I heard the club say Dan and Shai are required players and won't be traded. It's reset strategy. Those who want to leave have been told they can, we want 1st rounders (8) and will trade aggressively to get them, including our 2nd rounders etc.

It's a Tigers internet forum talking about upcoming drafts, not a statutory declaration.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I understand that and I’m not having a go at you. I simply don’t see how moving back one year addresses the issue of having too many kids. We are going to have a young list either way so take the very best kids you can when you can.

We can always bring in some older players via the rookie draft if need be.

I don’t think our problem lies with the kids we are about to bring in, it’s more about the lack of quality 21-25 year olds already on our list.
I understand the pitfalls of having a young list but this is a perfect storm of poor list management (partly due to some hubris on the clubs part) and mass departures both expected and unexpected. The one shining light is that we are in a great position draft wise in a year when the draft is thought to be full of quality kids.

The only reason to trade out of this draft is if you are certain you can pick up a better kid next year. From all reports next years draft is looking thin, so you’d have to trade into an early first round pick.

We can’t afford to let this opportunity slip, particularly with Tassie coming in. I believe it’s time to load up on talented kids, take our medicine for a few years and fast track our development.
The squads have just been named for the futures game on Saturday morning so we might have a better idea of what is in the pipeline after seeing what they can serve up.

For me take at least 6 quality kids this draft. The depth is there, and there will be sliders. Bank another first rounder next year 2025. Will be stupid if we don't raid this draft.

Reactions: 1 user
11 disposals
2 kicks
9 H/balls
Jagga mk2?

More like Ginbey mk2.

A physical specimen just like Ginbey but does he have the footballing nous to find enough of the ball at the next level?

I'd prefer Jack Ough - great skills, beautiful size, very young. He's not fast but he just floats over the ground - reminds me a little of Pendlebury although not (yet) as good.

For all the talk of tall mids, Langford Smillie Ough, its worth a thought uhat the swans dont have any mid tall mids.
Mills is 187 and has not been a factor this season.
Rowbottom Warner Heeney Jordan Parker are all mid 180s
Papley and Gulden are short.

On the Lions Dunkley is tall but Ashcroft Fletcher Mcluggage are 80s and Neale and Bailey are short.

Agility Speed and BWA outweigh centimetres

Reactions: 12 users
For all the talk of tall mids, Langford Smillie Ough, its worth a thought uhat the swans dont have any mid tall mids.

On the Lions Dunkley is tall but Ashcroft Fletcher Mcluggage are 80s and Neale and Bailey are short.

I guess its all about trying to find a tall mid such as a Cripps , Bontempelli or Green
Who can go get the ball stand up cant be tackled as they brush off a mid in the 180s and takes marks around the ground

For every Cripps there's a heap more RCD's, Bytel's etc.

I guess its all about trying to find a tall mid such as a Cripps , Bontempelli or Green
Who can go get the ball stand up cant be tackled as they brush off a mid in the 180s and takes marks around the ground
I think the stats show that Crippses dont win flags.
Dont get seduced by a tall strapping lad in a fine suit

FWIW - at no stage have I heard the club say Dan and Shai are required players and won't be traded.
then you weren't listening. It was absolutely said about Shai Bolton when it first came out. “He is a contracted player and isn’t going anywhere” was the language used. Blair Hartley or someone like that said that there was no way we would consider trading Shai Bolton. This was about the time when Eddie’s son came out with the story .

As time went by the only time it was discussed was when Yze used to say that it was disrespectful to talk about contracted players. In hindsight something probably changed between the initial reaction and how it ended up.

Reactions: 1 users