2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Smilie has the Jack Watts/Josh Schache look about him.
That photo of Smillie in action on Twomeys draft ratings. Just looks like the kids fully channeling some sort of inner Gene Simmons. Never was a Kiss fan, so maybe if we have to, a pick around the 20s might be a tolerable draft position.

I think Baker for #13 would do it. I don't think his form this year did much for his value.

IMO we won't get 13. Don Pyke was pretty clear about their objectives for the draft / trade period. They wanted to bring some mature talent in, whilst also hitting the draft hard.

What I think that means for Bakes, is either we get offered a later pick (23), which we might be able to push out to 23 + F2 and giving them back a 3rd, or they will trade picks back in order to take Bakes.

For example, 3 and 23 for 6 and 39 plus Bakes basically fills both of those gaps. It maintains their draft hand (including a top 10 pick) whilst also adding the matire talent. For us, it gets us higher into the top 10, and pushes one of our 3rds into a very good option at the start of the 2nd round (I'm convinced these picks will be like golddust at the start of Night 2).

So its either something like take the later picks and try and trade up, or trade up as part of the trade. I'd probably remove the middle man and trade up personally.

Reactions: 6 users
IMO we won't get 13. Don Pyke was pretty clear about their objectives for the draft / trade period. They wanted to bring some mature talent in, whilst also hitting the draft hard.

What I think that means for Bakes, is either we get offered a later pick (23), which we might be able to push out to 23 + F2 and giving them back a 3rd, or they will trade picks back in order to take Bakes.

For example, 3 and 23 for 6 and 39 plus Bakes basically fills both of those gaps. It maintains their draft hand (including a top 10 pick) whilst also adding the matire talent. For us, it gets us higher into the top 10, and pushes one of our 3rds into a very good option at the start of the 2nd round (I'm convinced these picks will be like golddust at the start of Night 2).

So its either something like take the later picks and try and trade up, or trade up as part of the trade. I'd probably remove the middle man and trade up personally.
I get all that but I just can't help thinking it undervalues Baker.

He is a club Vice Captain and dual premiership player. We are talking about a very good and proven AFL footballer with leadership qualities.

I would be slightly disappointed at that deal but you may well be on the money

Reactions: 1 user
Bf poster tigerbob who use to work in recruitment has stated ,we will take fos at number 1
I just had a look at what he said:

Yesterday -
I’m highly confident, Finn goes one and if we have pick two or three we go Lalor.

Very confident at this stage.

Today -
For me, Langford is the reach. Hes got right now, we absolutely rate him, but I still believe FOS and Lalor are ranked above. Of course, knowing what opposition are doing is vital. If we believe we can get Lalor at 6 but not Langford, that will play a role for instance.

I’ll reiterate, FOS doesn’t go at one, North or whomever at 2 will grab him.

Despite various pontifications, no one knows.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I just had a look at what he said:

Yesterday -
I’m highly confident, Finn goes one and if we have pick two or three we go Lalor.

Very confident at this stage.

Today -
For me, Langford is the reach. Hes got right now, we absolutely rate him, but I still believe FOS and Lalor are ranked above. Of course, knowing what opposition are doing is vital. If we believe we can get Lalor at 6 but not Langford, that will play a role for instance.

I’ll reiterate, FOS doesn’t go at one, North or whomever at 2 will grab him.

Despite various pontifications, no one knows.
Hah hah hah...I read that too. Bit of a contradiction.

We will get more from Freo. For Baker pick 17. Or if we want to increase the Baker value. We get 9 + 17 for Bolton and freo offer 10 for Baker.

I don't think West Coast will get Baker for a 2nd round pick. Hence why WC threw pick 3 into the equation. The leadership at Freo have met with Baker. They are showing clear intent to draft both Baker and Bolton.

I think we get WC pick 3 in the Baker trade with other pick exchanges or he goes to Freo

Last edited:
Yeah, not sure about Davis Toigs. He's got great running capacity but he's a really really ordinary dispatcher of the football. Very rough around the edges.

Rookie spot at best I feel.
Yeah, his kicking looks ugly at times but is reasonably effective, he's kicked 7-3 in league games and 34-13 in colts games.

I get all that but I just can't help thinking it undervalues Baker.

He is a club Vice Captain and dual premiership player. We are talking about a very good and proven AFL footballer with leadership qualities.

I would be slightly disappointed at that deal but you may well be on the money

It probably does undervalue him, but he's out of contract, we don't hold a strong hand. Remember when Jordan Dawson went only a few years ago to Adelaide for something like Pick 17. Sydney didn't like it, but he was leaving.

The Bolton and Rioli ones are the 2 we should be pushing harder, we have the whip hand in both of those, particularly the Rioli one.

We will get more from Freo. For Baker pick 17. Or if we want to increase the Baker value. We get 9 + 17 for Bolton and freo offer 10 for Baker.

I don't think West Coast will get Baker for a 2nd round pick. Hence why WC threw pick 3 into the equation. The leadership at Freo have met with Baker. They are showing clear intent to draft both Baker and Bolton.

I think we get WC pick 3 in the Baker trade with other pick exchanges or he goes to Freo

We won't get Pick 10 for Baker, I'll have whatever you've been smoking. We might get 17 (9 and 10 should be for Shai anyway), but it all comes down to if we asks to move to them when he nominates. We might know more in a weeks time once we know who the next West Coast coach will be.

I've said that I think we will get Pick 3 from West Coast so nothing changes there, just I don't think it'll be as strong of a trade as some on here seem to think.

Even though most of us on PRE and Bigfooty have a clear outlook on who is likely to go No 1 "Smith or FOS" it's still good listening to these types of videos.
Good on him and Dylan now has over 1000 subscribers. He gives good reasons as to who should go Pick 1

The video goes for about 20 mins, enjoy!

Reactions: 2 users
Last 15 Draft Pick 9 & 10's -
A Moore & Melksham
Prestia & Gorringe
Tomlinson & Sumner
Vlastuin & Daniher (F/S)
Salem & Freeman
Moore (F/S) & Nakia Cockatoo
Weideman & H Mckay
Brodie & Bowes
Naughton & O'Brien
C Jones & Blakey (Academy)
L Henry & T Green (Academy)
Perkins & Z Reid
Gibcus & Erasmus
Gibney & Phillipou
E Read & Caddy

Baker is 26 (27 start of next season) with 2 x flags. Has 5 years of high level footy left? In regards value he is clearly above most of those on that list. So on face value he is better value/lower risk than Pick 9, but then you need to factor he only has 5-6 years left.

Think he is definitely worth around that Pick 9 or 10.

Reactions: 1 users
We won't get Pick 10 for Baker, I'll have whatever you've been smoking. We might get 17 (9 and 10 should be for Shai anyway), but it all comes down to if we asks to move to them when he nominates. We might know more in a weeks time once we know who the next West Coast coach will be.

I've said that I think we will get Pick 3 from West Coast so nothing changes there, just I don't think it'll be as strong of a trade as some on here seem to think.

Agree Posh.

As you'd expect on a club forum our draft haul will to be less (in many cases by a lot) to what are being posted.

Expecting Bakes and Graham will be the one's in our case.