2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Watching Reids highlights, I was surprised with how many over the head, look away handballs he did.
Not sure you get away with that in the AFL
Edwards used to do that too in juniors - so maybe he'll slip to the second round, take 6 years to come good and start getting away with it, but I think he'll be better than that earlier because he clearly has other attributes and a cooler head than young Shank did - not quite the chicken legged twig he was either and haven't seen to many worm burners or getting caught after evading traffic then running back into it from Reid - not great defensively yet but less of speed bump than Shank was. (actually he's not really like a young Edwards at all apart from the tendency for "creative" handballs -the better comparison for me would be Errol Gulden.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Have to disagree. Take away Lynch and I don't think any of our key forwards have proven themselves as a reliable #1 key forward yet. We need another top draft pick key forward after first couple of midfielders.

View attachment 24285
I didn’t say # no 1 reliable key forward.
I’d love one but if there aren’t any available and there are a large number of outstanding mids we shouldn’t waste top picks on forwards.

Just my opinion but stats on our forwards are meaningless, given that our movement from the midfield was consistently crap. With the improvement to come over the next 3 yrs there, Balta will be a star.

As was said by another poster looks slow, not particularly skillful and for a bigger bodied player struggles to break tackles.
Geez pretty different to the games I've watched, and I've watched most of what's available of Langford. Funny how people see things so differently.

Last edited:
I didn’t say # no 1 reliable key forward.
I’d love one but if there aren’t any available and there are a large number of outstanding mids we shouldn’t waste top picks on forwards.

Just my opinion but stats on our forwards are meaningless, given that our movement from the midfield was consistently crap. With the improvement to come over the next 3 yrs there, Balta will be a star.
If none realistically available in the first round this year then we need to push a first rounder to next year to pick up a key forward. My disagree comment was about you saying our forward line isn't a problem like the midfield. I think it is just as big if not bigger. I don't think Balta is key forward material, far more valuable as an already proven elite backman.

Reactions: 2 users
If none realistically available in the first round this year then we need to push a first rounder to next year to pick up a key forward. My disagree comment was about you saying our forward line isn't a problem like the midfield. I think it is just as big if not bigger. I don't think Balta is key forward material, far more valuable as an already proven elite backman.
We continue to have a difference of opinion on Noah and the forward line in general.
It was given absolutely no chance this year, with no consistent support for Shai who (again) imo was set up to fail.

My tip.. it will get going quietly but as the season progresses, watch out for an injection of speed and skill in our midfield, feeding Noah, Bauer, Gray and Lefau up forward,- hopefully together with Berry, Davidson and Tauru.
At some point efforts will also be made on Cadman. Maybe sooner than we think.

I have RCD vibes with Smillie. Big bodied mid with attributes and lots of room for improvement but a) Couldnt find enough of the footy and b) didn’t improve.

The difference is that RCD never found much of the ball in the U18s, which continued into his AFL career. U18's averaged 15 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles and 0.4 goals
For the U18 championship, it was even less, Ave 12 disposals, 1.7 marks, 3 tackles and 0.3 goals

Smillie finds the ball in the 18's Ave 24 disposals, 4 marks, 3.5 tackles and 1.3 goal

For the championships, he was ok without being dominant; Ave 19.5 disposals, 3 marks, 3.5 tackles and 0.3 goals

Another good attribute is that Smillie has a lovely kick on him and is a good decision-maker.

I think based on our expected picks. eg: 1, 3 and 6 well depending on North even though I believe they will go best available and grab a mid. Well, I hope they go Harry Armstrong which would give us a trio of FOS /Jagga and Smillie or FOS /Jagga and Langford, or FOS /Jagga and Lalor. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There's no point taking a tall just because he's tall. That's how you get Todd Elton. So, for all the junior watchers, how do the talls in this crop compare with other years? Are there any near the level of Lynch and Jack? Or are they more structural types worth 1-2 goals a game rather than stars?

Reactions: 5 users
Is there a possibility FOS doesn’t end up playing midfield at AFL level.

With his strong marking and disposal skill on both sides, could he go the same way as Lachie Whitfield, and end up predominantly playing on a flank or wing?
His tank was measured pre season and was better than jaggas,but if he was a mid forward who kicks goals ,then better still.

The difference is that RCD never found much of the ball in the U18s, which continued into his AFL career. U18's averaged 15 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles and 0.4 goals
For the U18 championship, it was even less, Ave 12 disposals, 1.7 marks, 3 tackles and 0.3 goals

Smillie finds the ball in the 18's Ave 24 disposals, 4 marks, 3.5 tackles and 1.3 goal

For the championships, he was ok without being dominant; Ave 19.5 disposals, 3 marks, 3.5 tackles and 0.3 goals

Another good attribute is that Smillie has a lovely kick on him and is a good decision-maker.

I think based on our expected picks. eg: 1, 3 and 6 well depending on North even though I believe they will go best available and grab a mid. Well, I hope they go Harry Armstrong which would give us a trio of FOS /Jagga and Smillie or FOS /Jagga and Langford, or FOS /Jagga and Lalor. The possibilities are endless.
RCD stats are very similar to those of FOS.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
RCD stats are very similar to those of FOS.

Yes, but FOS has been injured for the most parts this year due to his finger and thumb which gives some understanding as to why his numbers weren't as high as last year.

He is a class act and I reckon he has a higher ceiling but I also like Jagga Smith but with our bounty of expected first-round picks I'm trusting Toce and Co. to nail several young guns!

Top draftee Finn O'Sullivan's rough injury run has continued... he's had surgery on the finger injury he had recently & will miss around 6 weeks, including the start of the U18 Champs. The gun midfielder has already missed footy this year with a thumb injury & the finger.

AFL U18 Championships​

SeasonTeamKHBDMCPUPTHOCLRI50R50GLGMKHDMHOTGDC
2023Vic Country3317501224279081112311.05.716.74.00.03.00.776
2024Vic Country101323372070260025.06.511.51.50.03.50.042
Total-43307315314716010171258.66.014.63.00.03.20.4118

Coates Talent League Boys​

SeasonTeamKHBDMCPUPTHOCLRI50R50GLGMKHDMHOTGDC
2022Oakleigh Chargers000000000000000000000
2023Oakleigh Chargers105811773800320045131813.110.122.14.80.04.00.188
2024Oakleigh Chargers19143360070092329.57.016.53.00.03.51.571
Total-1249521044003900541541012.49.521.04.40.03.90.415

Levi Ashcroft 2 Goals 9D in 1stqtr clearly best player we must call his name at pick #1
Lions need to pay maximum points

Reactions: 4 users
Levi Ashcroft 2 Goals 9D in 1stqtr clearly best player we must call his name at pick #1
Lions need to pay maximum points
No retreat No surrender.
We have to bid on him.
If Brisbane don't give us their 1st pick.
We should announce before the draft we are bidding on him.
He is a class player.