2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I'd be a lot more concerned about using a first rounder on someone like Hotton who has had a full knee reco at 18 than FOS who had a couple of broken fingers. That's my take on it anyway.
Exactly. Daniel Chick simply cut off his troublesome finger. Problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Fair enough.
But you’re choosing to ignore the corkie ( more bad luck ) and the latest hipflexer.
No I mentioned the corky in my previous reply. That's a footy injury that anyone who has played the game cops once a season I reckon.

I also mentioned the hip flexor in the same post which I said was the only injury that recruiters would have any concern about and I mentioned that they often occur when training loads have been built up after a layoff.

As I said a full blown out knee would be a big concern. Problems with feet at a young age, as well as hammies and calves etc would also be much more indicative of potential long term trouble.

Plus you're basing this stuff on bad luck (if that even exists as it's completely unquantifiable) and someone like FOS is just as likely to have no bad luck from now on as he is to have continuing bad luck, wouldn't you say ? Or even less likely as he's already had so much bad luck in his draft year.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a huge benefit to Richmond as they get another very valuable first round pick. Can use it, split it, package it to move to a higher pick, or trade into another future first round pick.
So we give away approx double the value in points to make it super easy for Brisvegas to F/S the best kid in the draft. That's certainly mega valuable for us. Nothing to stop us trading or packaging some of our later picks elsewhere for more reasonable deals. Brisvegas first draft pick could be 18 or later when adjusted for F/S or academy if they win the flag this year.
Richmond also needs to offload the later picks as we will be getting multiple high picks with the players to be traded and will not have enough list spots open to use all the later picks..
Depends on who we end up trading out or what packaging we do as to how many picks we will have, but the list needs an obvious major refresh. Even before we consider delisting anyone, we will probably have 8 players retired and traded which means we'd start with 6 vacancies that need replacing, possibly pushing out to 9 or 10. We might also need to add some of our later points value to players we're trading out to get back some premium early pick value.
Not really any benefit for Richmond to do all the homework on Ashcroft to bid at pick 1 as Brisbane will still match. Have no chance of getting the player.
Geez. Even I don't need to do any homework to know that Ashcroft is easily a 1st pick candidate, doubt the Tigers would have needed to put much effort into figuring that out. Obviously we'll be no chance of getting him as Brisvegas are guaranteed to find enough discounted points from somewhere to match a bid. But that's no reason whatsoever for us to drop our pants and wiggle our arses for their convenience. If they want our help to amass points and also not call him at pick 1 there needs to be a big fat sweetener of some sort for the privilege.

No I mentioned the corky in my previous reply. That's a footy injury that anyone who has played the game cops once a season I reckon.

I also mentioned the hip flexor in the same post which I said was the only injury that recruiters would have any concern about and I mentioned that they often occur when training loads have been built up after a layoff.

As I said a full blown out knee would be a big concern. Problems with feet at a young age, as well as hammies and calves etc would also be much more indicative of potential long term trouble.

Plus you're basing this stuff on bad luck (if that even exists as it's completely unquantifiable) and someone like FOS is just as likely to have no bad luck from now on as he is to have continuing bad luck, wouldn't you say ? Or even less likely as he's already had so much bad luck in his draft year.
Bad luck takes many forms.
I’m working on the thesis that some players just seem to have more bad luck than others.
Injuries whether collision in nature or structural are still relatively related to bad luck.
Bad luck on the field or bad luck with technique. Even bad luck with genetics.
Look at Will Pucovski. The ball kept accidentally finding his head. Bad luck with technique in this case but couldn’t change the outcome.
Whilst others have no or few injuries and a charmed run

It's worth remembering that while the other lads do a pre season, Lalor has been playing cricket. He looks to be carrying 5-10 kilos so considering he's performed as well as he has that's something. You're right once he gets a few preseason an under his belt in a professional environment he could be anything. Will need to be nursed along initially.
Looks a very solid unit YOT , do you think it’s conditioning or early developed muscle .

The young beasts are always a worry if they can maintain winning as much footy with equally as strong men

WetCoke also want a top 10 pick in return

points wise, bakes + 10 for 3

= bakes for 23

so its unders for us, and a pretty good deal for WC

so its probably not far off.

it could well be the deal to land the Holy Pentinity insta-dynasty

Skinny Kid, FOS, Lalor, Draper and Joe Berry

:oops:

before the sun even rises on Day 2

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
WetCoke also want a top 10 pick in return
So if all our trades go through as we're all dreaming at the moment we'd have to look at offering one of 6 Sausage or 9 - 10 Shai along with Bakes for pick 3. Deep n even draft would that be a reasonable deal at pick 10, or should there also be something perhaps second rounder coming back along with pick 3 ???

= bakes for 23

Isn't pick 12 the speculated trade Wet Coke get off Hawforn for Bareass? How do we end up getting that one if we're speculating Bakes n 10 for pick 3?

• Wow

= bakes for 23

12 meant to be 13?(Rioli deal)
1-Fos
3-Jagga
6-Reid
9-Berry
13-Lindsey
14-KPF

21 & 22(Graham) Both F1.

= bakes for 23

So...pick a tall forward in the second round..say whitlock.
Round 1 next year

Brown Gibcus Broad
Short Balta Floss
R Smith Tarranto Campbell
Lalor Whitlock Berry
MRJ Lynch Bauer

Nank Smith FOS
IC Draper Hopper Ross Banks

2 more top picks next year ..starting to look decent.
If we miss Draper or Lalor..pick Reid or Allen...just as good...maybe better.

• Love
Isn't pick 12 the speculated trade Wet Coke get off Hawforn for Bareass? How do we end up getting that one if we're speculating Bakes n 10 for pick 3?

Baker for #12? We' d be doing that deal. Yet-to-be-got #10 (Shai?) and #12 for #3? We're doing that, aren't we? #9 (Freo) and #12? Probably.

#12 and #6 (GCS) for #3? Sounds bad to me.

Reactions: 4 users
He's the one more than FoS that is an injury concern ILO. Hes had multiple hammies, hip etc.

Huge scope but Reckon he will be a very slow burn to get to AFL level conditioning.

Looks to have a body that will take 3-4 pre seasons minimum (without ongoing issues) to get to a stage where he can have the aerobic capacity to impact in the midfield at AFL level ( if it gets there).

The recruiting teams will have more info to make a more calculated call, but posted a few times, Donuts Lawler's athletic prowess will be a question mark Blair and Toce will need comfort on when talking the top end of the draft.
Now you're scaring me Leysy. That's sounding a very Package like player.

I'm still not sure why we drafted him if midfielder was our aim. Only averaged 12 disposals in championships and 18 at U18 level. Was never a big ball winner. I guess at Pick 20, the best midfielders are gone.
He was drafted on that dreaded word - "potential"

Read the scouting reports, he has great hands, is big, had a good final champs (where he got 16 Disp or something like that), has a lot of "upside". The negatives were his tank and getting enough of the ball - 2 pretty bloody important traits for a mid!!!!

Give me the guy who can find it more than anyone at every level he plays at - every time.

Reactions: 1 users
So...pick a tall forward in the second round..say whitlock.
Round 1 next year

Brown Gibcus Broad
Short Balta Floss
R Smith Tarranto Campbell
Lalor Whitlock Berry
MRJ Lynch Bauer

Nank Smith FOS
IC Draper Hopper Ross Banks

2 more top picks next year ..starting to look decent.
If we miss Draper or Lalor..pick Reid or Allen...just as good...maybe better.

I have been trying to curb my excitement until we know exactly what picks we will have so please stop posting draft p*rn like that

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
this thread is gonna be my really happy place 2025-2040 I reckon

Only a little snippet but you can see FOS has the best skills. Cheers for posting.
Gee, not sure I would draw that conclusion from a few handballs & kicks. One thing, Gross was clearly the least skilled.