2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Worked with young George for a while back in 2020 & 2021. I think he would be about 22 or 23 now? He is a terrific young fella, had a good work ethic. Was no privileged kid. He dealt with a few injuries and as a small forward he was behind the other 2 on the pecking order at Casey/Melb.

Seems to have blossomed behind the ball at Frankston, although playing HBF is the easiest role in football to look good at. But he has improved every year and is playing his best ever footy.
Write up on him here:

Averages 25 disposals and a goal a game in the last month.
I also like Tom Murphy.
Both would add speed and mature bodies to our side

What benchmarks should we use to judge Harry Armstrong? What numbers? What grades? Let's talk about the body/athlete. Is he strong? Can he jump? Can he catch? Can he gather a ground ball? Is he clever? Is he quick? Super quick? Like Jeremy Cameron? Is he actually a tall? Is he a #2 forward? If so is he better than Mitch Georgiades? Or JUH? Is he more like Oscar Allen? We're back where we started. How is he below his knees? Does it Matter? How much? Will he simply not measure up? Benchmark.

How does he go against other talls in his cohort? At elite (Championship) level? State level? How does e go at being a tall in 2024 at elite level?

If Armstrong is not good, how not good is he and why?

For the fans, left foot, eh. Super clean by hand.

Working through it, is he pick #7 or pick #30? On your board.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t understand the problem with Jagga at No 1. He’s the first link in the chain of maximum damage. He gets the pill to the other players that matter - the FOS’s, the Langford’s , the Lalor’s. Has been doing it, apparently, for the last three years at every level and in all conditions he’s encountered whilst valuing the ball and minimising turnovers. He’ll be a top level mid for a decade.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I find the pro Jagga posts interesting. I understand the Jagga vs FOS debate - its really a production vs potential debate that is held every draft of kids into professional sports.

To me it just seems there is another player that has both production and potential (and speed to burn) - that rarely gets mentioned as a pick 1 option. Sid Draper. Why not Sid? Is it purely the go home factor?

Reactions: 7 users
I find the pro Jagga posts interesting. I understand the Jagga vs FOS debate - its really a production vs potential debate that is held every draft of kids into professional sports.

To me it just seems there is another player that has both production and potential (and speed to burn) - that rarely gets mentioned as a pick 1 option. Sid Draper. Why not Sid? Is it purely the go home factor?

for me, im trying to be objective at 1, and then crystal balling a bit after that.

Jagga's CV is quite flawless.

I love Draper, and wouldn't mind at all if we read out his name,

but he was just OK in this years champs.

If your being evidenced based for best available pick 1,

you've shortlisted Jagga and Ashcroft, and can't have Ashcroft.

when there's this much high end talent, and if you dont want to sit on the fence (which is fine),

you have to use separators.

FOS is sliding on durability for me.

Or Sonsie…with his aversion to body contact and commitment to the content
Wrong thread O Bulbous one. We were discussing gun players that had major injury issues threatening their careers who went on to have long and successful careers. Not cats with heart issues, not sure we have a veterinary thread on here.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This is one of those cousins old roommates neighbours nephew “ whispers” however word is we have a big interest in the Lyndsey kid

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
This is one of those cousins old roommates neighbours nephew “ whispers” however word is we have a big interest in the Lyndsey kid
I'd say as soon as Dan said he wants out our attention turned to Lindsey.Wouldn't complain mind you.Very good by foot.

Lindsay on one wing and Travagalia on the other would speed us up.

the way we are taking an Ark-full to trade week,

quite possible we could get both after we grab JoeBerry at 9.

Jagga, Lalor, JoeBerry, Bo Allen, Lindsay, Travaglia, Sims, Whitlock/Faull

and quite suddenly, we are very quick through the middle

we do have to use speed as the secondary separator after footy ability IMO

I always appreciate everyone’s thoughts on the juniors and have learnt always take everyone’s options with a grain of salt as there’s generally so much information we are not privy too.

Just on the discussion re Smith , it’s as if everyone else can get better , however Jagga can’t because he’s hard running accumulater allready , I think there’s always more danger in the young bull who uses his mass and strength winning the footy against juniors that then struggles to do the same at the top level , in saying that it’s very dangerous generalising in judging junior footballers been recruited to play at the top level .

Obviously speed and elite skills are a must in our picks , however we still need to be careful not to miss a future superstar just because he may lack a yard and is a good disposer not an elite one. I hope we will go with best available in the first round , *smile* having 7 elite midfielders is a problem I could live with if that’s the way the cards fall.

Back on Jagga I can see him been an elite AFL player after weight and strength gain , he will obviously increase his allready elite running capabilities with AFL pre seasons and should no doubt improve a lot as a footballer overall .

Totally agree with a lot I think it’s between he and Fos at this stage , both look elite in different ways , I think Smith is guaranteed 200 gamer all been well and if Fos has only had the finger issues that they are not an issue at all , anyone who’s played a lot of footy has dislocated, broke “ hurt” their fingers . Wont be unhappy with either , actually won’t be unhappy with the 6,7,8 or 9 players we pick up on draft night , well atleast for 3 years I’ll be happy , then things may change 😉

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Great kick of the football. Was flying last week before getting...wait for it....injured ! Perfect for us.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If you dislocate your finger, don't call Dr Nobets. You'll end up telling him what to do and even then, he'll look away trying not to throw up. Useless.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Lindsay on one wing and Travagalia on the other would speed us up.

the way we are taking an Ark-full to trade week,

quite possible we could get both after we grab JoeBerry at 9.

Jagga, Lalor, JoeBerry, Bo Allen, Lindsay, Travaglia, Sims, Whitlock/Faull

and quite suddenly, we are very quick through the middle

we do have to use speed as the secondary separator after footy ability IMO
Mate I’m worried about you , you must be down to an hour a nights sleep , I imagine the shed is looking like that physic geniuses with whiteboards everywhere with “ theories” mathematical composures , weather reports , faxes with data and stats , 12 80 inch plasmas showing every Coates game played on repeat , illegally obtained medical reports on 6 generations of each potential draftee , a laptop purely for emails to the Big Toce , daily zoom calls with Frank and Richard , who the *smile* feeding the Angus beef Ezyyyy ? 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users