2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Murphy Reid latest:

In comparison to the earlier games/players certainly a run below.

I think this guy is underrated .

He looks like he is slow, but he runs away from other players, he always has time, his body seems really underdeveloped, but he breaks out of tackles, his game style appears laconic, but he keeps getting the ball and using it creatively, also a goal kicker

Facts are , there is no one in the draft pool that has outperformed him, on the vic metro stage, or the coates league stage

Best kick and decision maker in the draft for mine, and a lock to be a consistent 200 gamer, at least

Wonder how we rate him ?

Negative is his size, but that's about it, he looks slow, but plays real quick

Reactions: 3 users
I agreed with most except i'm uncertain on Reid. Do you think the trades or compo picks were fair for us as i thought we were getting stitched up?

yeah im not big on Reid either. But there's 3.6 million combos of 10 blokes,

so were never gonna agree on everything

I skipped through to the summaries so dunno about trades and compo?

Reactions: 1 user
Just throwing some numbers around to see what comes up or is posible. Not trying to give exact trades.

If North or Melbourne are looking to split - the teams with those picks are GC and Fremantle. It just so happens that GC and Fremantle are the teams who will be trading with Richmond for players. So Richmond will be involved in some way unless other teams split with 2024 and future picks.
Just trying to calculate if it is possible to get multiple high picks. Could mix and match other numbers etc. Obviously things will move around come trade time. Not trying to get the highest pick/maximum result out of every trade.

Current picks 1, 21, 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 73

With a rather even deep draft it might be a case of teams looking to split high picks with Richmond among the only buyer = Buyers Market.

Assume Graham comp pick 22 (worst it can be is pick 39 or 40)

Rioli to GC for 13, 20, 26 - Leaves GC with pick 6 and should be inside a Lombard bid plus they will still have enough picks for points for the Lombard bid. Think they would take it. Pick 20 might be important for us with Fremantle.

Bolton, Baker + 20 to Fremantle for 9, 10, 17, 27 = Think Fremantle needs that (finals) experience of both players, plus pick 20 allows them to reset the 2 in 4 first round pick rule to make a play at Warner next year.

Picks 29, 39, 41, 66, 73 = around 1,600 points for Brisbane pick 14 (1161) - means Brisbane (with their other picks) have enough for a bid a pick 3.

Pick 9 + 13 to North for pick 2

Picks 14 & 17 Melbourne for pick 5. Or even possible Pick 21 (or 20's pick) + Lynch + salary(?) for pick 5 - will leave that out though.

Would be left with

Pick 1, 2, 5, 10, 21, 22, 26, 27, 47, 57 .. Deals could be maybe made to try and convert a couple of those 20's picks into future 1st's.
Hi guys first time poster. In my opinion we have to be ruthless in this draft and trade period. I would bid on Ashcroft at 1 and make Brisbvegas pay maximum point s(the Daicos farce was ridiculous). After trades it is likely that we are the only game in town for them to get enough points so why give them more points than they give us. Make them pay a premium they can keep and use their first round pick let’s aim to give them enough points this year to match the bid and get next years first ( maybe more) out of them let’s not be screwed when we have the upper hand

Hi guys first time poster. In my opinion we have to be ruthless in this draft and trade period. I would bid on Ashcroft at 1 and make Brisbvegas pay maximum point s(the Daicos farce was ridiculous). After trades it is likely that we are the only game in town for them to get enough points so why give them more points than they give us. Make them pay a premium they can keep and use their first round pick let’s aim to give them enough points this year to match the bid and get next years first ( maybe more) out of them let’s not be screwed when we have the upper hand
Further to my post above they are currently about 1000 points short of we bid at pick 1. Let’s give them the points this year but ask for their pick 1 next year. Pick 18 (premiers) is worth 985 points so let them carry the risk. There is no reason why we should be overpaying with points when we hold the aces

Reactions: 2 users
jeepers I really dont see Daicos here at all.

The kicking is average at best, sure Jagga can move well but his kicking lets him down, nowhere near Daicos level, not even close
I do. I mentioned in another post, I see very similar movement patterns between the two. By no means is Jagga at Daicos levels, but the way they link up and get the ball moving is very similar.

Jagga is no different to body size of a Butters. Doesn’t stop him finding the ball.

It’s not always about body size but more about footy smarts.

Would be left with

Pick 1, 2, 5, 10, 21, 22, 26, 27, 47, 57 .. Deals could be maybe made to try and convert a couple of those 20's picks into future 1st's.
If we get anything close to this, I would totally forget what a shizen year it’s been. That would be the ultimate *smile* you to the rest of the comp, no one does rebuild like the *smile* tigers

I think this guy is underrated .

He looks like he is slow, but he runs away from other players, he always has time, his body seems really underdeveloped, but he breaks out of tackles, his game style appears laconic, but he keeps getting the ball and using it creatively, also a goal kicker

Facts are , there is no one in the draft pool that has outperformed him, on the vic metro stage, or the coates league stage

Best kick and decision maker in the draft for mine, and a lock to be a consistent 200 gamer, at least

Wonder how we rate him ?

Negative is his size, but that's about it, he looks slow, but plays real quick
Fact is, jagga smith upstaged him for VM, and Coates league, and VFL for good measure.

He's a very good player no doubt. But top 10, not top 4.

For me he skies his kicks too often, which is a big reason to discount. So I strongly refute your best kick in the draft call.

• Wow
I never compared him to smith , you did
Sorry mate. Just saw the Clinton King with no hurt factor who can't kick V tackle breaker, best kick in the pool who has outperformed everyone, and stupidly thought you were comparing and rated reid higher, my bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
All i know is we need to be ruthless when dealing with clubs im tired of this we will help our player get to where he wants to go because hes a good bloke *smile* the club rolls out. If there contracted give us what we want or fu#$ right off, make no mistake freo are desperate to get bolton they will blink on the last day of trade period so dont get bent over like hopper and timmy deals we hold the whip hand in these! And on goldcoast they need rioli and we know it they had flanders back there trying to give drive and sexton as well. So we hold all the cards.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Those lists include picks for Bolton, Rioli, Baker, Graham. And those later picks can be traded up, such as for Brisbane's bid for Ashcroft.
I know, but footy season agony is finally over n now it's all about the excitement of fantasy speculation about our 10 top 30 picks in the draft. None of this harsh reality and accuracy is acceptable at the moment TBH, we need time to soothe the hurt n embarrassment with a bit of positive delusion for a few months.

Ok I guess, but some things are fundamentally true

And one is that Jagga will be a lighweight, and hence find it hard to break a tackle and stick a tackle

As an inside mid, this is a pretty big issue

This is not gunna change
With Taranto, Hopper and McCauliffe, does he need to be inside mid?

this fella has us taking Smith, Smillie, Armstrong, & Shanahan in the first round...

• Dislike