2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I know very little about these kids, but we can’t afford to F up this first pick. Everything that’s being said about Jagga - he is quick in traffic, hard runner and can find the ball at will - seems he is most likely to transition into a decent AFL midfielder - so we must pick him. Use the other picks to select on potential and highest ceilings imo. We should have plenty of picks to capture them all to be honest.

Reactions: 4 users
Was there. Jagga was good, impact was up on previous performances. You know what you’ll get with Jagga week to week. Oakleighs other big mids in Gross and Cochrane were as bad as Ive ever seen them. Turnover merchants and momentum killers all day.
Thought that Retschko, Richardson, Emmett, Phillips and Emery were best for Oakleigh. But nothing has changed with the coaching. They need to clean house end of year..talent manger all the way down.
Lalor really impresses me. Get him AFL fit (lose a few kgs) and he will be great
I was there too.got to the ground at half time of the Dragons/Falcons match.
I won't get into much details about that match,because l was looking at my phone watching the VFL more.

The Rebels/Chargers match ,l was hoping Hannaford would run with Jagga,but lined up as a forward and was very good kicked 5 goals ,and worked hard .
At the start l was a bit bemused when Lalor went over to pick up Jagga,l thought *smile* me they are going to line up on one another,but they didn't eventuate Lalor was just reminding him of the crunch tackles in the champs.
Jagga hardly had anyone running with him the whole game ,he was able to free wheel,he was good without being great,got a lot of possies on the outside,and in space .
He does get pushed out of congested contests easily ,and when he does take on the play gets rag dolled ,l was trying to think of a player he reminds me of ,and probably MacCrae without the same footskills.

Lalor was good without being great,looks rusty ,and took a bit of time to find his groove,played mainly as a quarterback ,inside mid ,setting up play ,took some nice marks,won some hard contests,his kicking is a level above most player's ,great penetration and always trying to hit a target even from a distance.
Agree with you Ghost,he needs more fitness.

Burmeister looks taller than 198cm,but he gets around the ground really well,and is quite agile,strong leap.
Faull did some nice things ,worked quite hard,and looks to be moving more freely than he did at the champs .

I thought the Chargers used the ball a lot better throughout the whole game ,but geez it was frustrating to watch sometimes ,a lot of poor turnovers .

Get Pagan and a few other's back coaching these kids ,the skill level of player's has dropped off over the last 5 to 10 years

Reactions: 3 users
Gunna sounds like @spook on FoS here.

But watched Tobie pretty closely today (as much as you can on a Sunday morning streaming from a mobile to a TV with two kids and a wife constantly obstructing the view).

"Why are you watching this, it's only the players that aren't good enough. Aren't you going to the watch them today as well" etc etc.

"Where is my omelette? Where are my fried eggs? Where are my eggs and soldiers?? (that was Dudford staying over).

Anyone else get that?

Anyway, *smile* like this guy. Posted similar in the VFL chat - but he just runs, runs then runs some more.

No matter how much effort it takes, he is forever offensively giving his teammate an option (a trait we have lost), or defensively always stepping in and tackling, blocking, getting a hand in etc.

Just leaves it all out on the field. When the siren went today he was totally gassed. Spent. Had nothing left. This at a club he is filling in for a couple of games at.

If you put his mindset and that word competitiveness into a Tyler Sonsie you have a player. Simple as that.

But he is better than that. A lot better.

He's also as likely to captain an AFL club as anyone else in this draft year - FoS, Draper, Mick included.
What a load of rubbish.

Where are my eggs and soldiers.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Gunna sounds like @spook on FoS here.

But watched Tobie pretty closely today (as much as you can on a Sunday morning streaming from a mobile to a TV with two kids and a wife constantly obstructing the view).

"Why are you watching this, it's only the players that aren't good enough. Aren't you going to the watch them today as well" etc etc.

"Where is my omelette? Where are my fried eggs? Where are my eggs and soldiers?? (that was Dudford staying over).

Anyone else get that?

Anyway, *smile* like this guy. Posted similar in the VFL chat - but he just runs, runs then runs some more.

No matter how much effort it takes, he is forever offensively giving his teammate an option (a trait we have lost), or defensively always stepping in and tackling, blocking, getting a hand in etc.

Just leaves it all out on the field. When the siren went today he was totally gassed. Spent. Had nothing left. This at a club he is filling in for a couple of games at.

If you put his mindset and that word competitiveness into a Tyler Sonsie you have a player. Simple as that.

But he is better than that. A lot better.

He's also as likely to captain an AFL club as anyone else in this draft year - FoS, Draper, Mick included.
Yeah TT has all the AFL attributes ,except his kicking is below average,lots of up and unders.But in saying that after watching a couple of AFL matches,that doesn't matter,skills are becoming a thing of the past,it's all about being a athlete . :cool:

Reactions: 2 users
We might have to ditch the idea of having pick 1.
If the dogs can destroy North imagine what the inform Hawks will do next week.
We'll do a very Richmondy thing next week and beat the Suns.
Only 3% behind north.

Reactions: 1 user
We might have to ditch the idea of having pick 1.
If the dogs can destroy North imagine what the inform Hawks will do next week.
We'll do a very Richmondy thing next week and beat the Suns.
Only 3% behind north.

3% points - on a quick calculation it looks to be around about a 75 point buffer. North play the match after Richmond.

Besides losing the first choice of player Richmond would lose quite a bit of leverage at trade time without the number 1 pick - especially a points trade with Brisbane for their first round pick or even say Adelaide making a play for Draper etc.

Reactions: 4 users
3% points - on a quick calculation it looks to be around about a 75 point buffer. North play the match after Richmond.

Besides losing the first choice of player Richmond would lose quite a bit of leverage at trade time without the number 1 pick - especially a points trade with Brisbane for their first round pick or even say Adelaide making a play for Draper etc.
Correct, if we win by say 10, and they lose by over 70, then North get the spoon.

Even the Suns couldn't lose to us at the moment. Especially after having their stinker on the weekend. If they do, Dogwick has huge problems.

Reactions: 6 users
Reid is the smartest and classiest bloke in the draft. (Footy smarts). FOS obviously also - when fit.
Have said it all year about Reid, he is a great mix of smarts, skills and running ability.

Can't see him lasting pass ten. Reckon with the mix of picks being discussed, we still miss out on him.

Have said it all year about Reid, he is a great mix of smarts, skills and running ability.

Can't see him lasting pass ten. Reckon with the mix of picks being discussed, we still miss out on him.
Smith and Reid would be the next Rozee and Butters.

Reactions: 1 users
I can see Yze resting our best players in the second half as it will take him at least that long to work out if we have any.
He tends to rest our best player in the forward pocket for the first half, then throw him on-ball when the game is already lost.

He tends to rest our best player in the forward pocket for the first half, then throw him on-ball when the game is already lost.
I think that's just one of many strange game day and team selection and player management decisions over the course of the year.

I don't normally worry too much about such things - you let things play themselves out. But this year it's struck me how many perplexing decisions have been made on these fronts, over and over.

Reactions: 5 users
I think that's just one of many strange game day and team selection and player management decisions over the course of the year.

I don't normally worry too much about such things - you let things play themselves out. But this year it's struck me how many perplexing decisions have been made on these fronts, over and over.
Yep. Balta deployment up there with Shai positioning for me. Once Yeezy made the call that he saw Balta as a forward he had to leave him there, especially after we added Blight. I know we got pumped a few times after Young went down but he had Kosi in the twos at that point. Could have brought him in to play back and held his nerve with Balta.

Not playing Kosi back at all when he's such a limited forward is another head-scratcher.

If Yze cant win the wooden spoon then I would question our whole strategy!!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users