2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Funny you mention Judd. I was thinking the exact same thing an hour ago. Judd had a bad shoulder prior to being drafted. Some thought "avoid". Turned out he had 2 bad shoulders.

Also turned out he won 2 Brownlows.

FOS only has some finger injuries and a corkie.
And a Norm Smith.

Reactions: 1 user
Finn O’S not playing for Oakleigh tomorrow. A bit banged up from VFL game last weekend

This thread is like schizophrenia on steroids .

Anyway l will add to the madness,Lalor is better than all of them,kicking is up there with Fos ,better mark than FOS and Smith ,more damaging up forward ,better hand ball,better defensive etc etc .
Looking forward to seeing that in the next few weeks, another number one contender would be great to see

His latest injury has tipped me over the edge.
Not prepared to take the risk with pick 1 on a player who has been unable to showcase his dominance against the field.
We’re not in a position to fail. Can you imagine the vitriol on PRE if we drafted a player who either can’t get on the park, or a player who dominated U/16s like Moir, Tsitsas or Sonsie who all failed to produce at the U/18 level or a player who fails to live up to their reputation like a Hobbs or a Josh Ward? There simply isn’t sufficient form on FOS
I’m back to franking rolled gold. Draper or Smith at 1 and then Lalor with the next pick.
Fair point DA. While I’m in the FOS camp, I think we all agree that there is a degree of trepidation associated with this yrs number 1 pick. Combine results will perhaps be more important than ever.

Over to you Mr Bocce.

Do you think Jagga is a better player than FOS? Do you think he will be a better player than FOS?

You're right, my stake's in the ground.
Your stake has been in the ground for 6 months or more.
Locked and loaded.
Some might call that rigid.
You’re obviously prepared to die on your sword.
Reckon our recruitment team are still assessing everyone whereas many on here perhaps think they know better?
I’m confident in what he’s shown that Smith will be an extremely good players. Perhaps great.
Either way I wouldn’t be calling Toce clueless or gutless

Reactions: 2 users
I take it you’re a fan of FOS? You wouldn't know it from your relentless posts :rolleyes:
I saw every one of his 11 disposals. Classy for sure. Potentially a very good player. Maybe even great but I’ve also watched Smith destroy opponents and rack up disposals in the wet against men twice his size.
If Toche is prepared to ignore that form, he’s into the punt
Yep I can’t see how you can pick FOS at 1 on this year’s form. And the year of the draft is the most important year. I watched him play for our VFL side. He was impressive and has obvious class and talent. But he still only got it 11-12 times. I want to see more than that from the no. 1 pick. Smith was in everything all game.

I'll stop posting about FOS if it bothers people. My last comments are that overlooking him because of injury would be akin to overlooking Judd in his draft.

I've only been this adamant on three other juniors: Trent Cotchin, Marcus Bontempelli, Clayton Oliver.
No need. It’s a great discussion. I like FOS but just want to see more and he’s running out of time. That said it’s so open I’m glad to put faith in the recruiters. I’m just glad the recruiter is no longer Matt Clarke.

Reactions: 5 users
This thread is like schizophrenia on steroids .

Anyway l will add to the madness,Lalor is better than all of them,kicking is up there with Fos ,better mark than FOS and Smith ,more damaging up forward ,better hand ball,better defensive etc etc .
I like the look of Lalor. Not sure if he’s number 1 but reckon he’d be a good fit for us if we do land him.

Reactions: 4 users
Read my post again.
He’s barely played.
So you would pick him up on his U/16 form and the heresay from some punters on PRE?
Each to their own

He was all aus under 18 last year, so does have form against the best high age juniors.

Your stake has been in the ground for 6 months or more.
Locked and loaded.
Some might call that rigid.
You’re obviously prepared to die on your sword.
Reckon our recruitment team are still assessing everyone whereas many on here perhaps think they know better?
I’m confident in what he’s shown that Smith will be an extremely good players. Perhaps great.
Either way I wouldn’t be calling Toce clueless or gutless
I'm quite willing and able to change my mind if the evidence is strong enough. It hasn't been, for me.

I was a little worried about FOS's lack of footy. Until last weekend, when to my eye he looked a class above everyone else on the field. 12 touches? He spent half the game on the bench. It's what he did and how that stood out. You didn't see it that way? That's okay.

You're entitled to rule him out based on injury. Of course, Jagga could have his finger smashed on day 1 of pre-season. I don't think it matters long term to either of them.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Jagga won't be a very good player. (You didn't answer my questions, by the way.)

I'm not calling Toce anything. I'm confident he'll make the right call. But I concede it was a bit strong. Withdrawn, Your Honour.

I can see a situation where all this discussion is redundant anyway. I reckon we'll say to Freo, "If you want Shai you need to get us pick 3 from West Coast or 2 from Norf."

Freo will have something like picks 6, 12, 15. Let's say 6 and 12 for 3 and 23. Then West Coast gives us 12 or the Hawks pick (say 13) they get for Barrass for Baker. Freo gives us 3 and 15 for Shai.

Then we might agree to trade Rioli for 7 and 20. Trade 7 and 12 to Norf for 2 (they'll get their man Trainor at 7 anyway).

We go to the draft with 1, 2, 3, 15, 17 (from Brisbane), 20, 21, 22 (Graham compo.)

Then at 1-3 we draft FOS, Draper, Lalor :p

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
With FOS not being able to show his potential this year - Draper would be the standout #1 if he was a Victorian. He looks Judd like in some highlights.

Funny you mention Judd. I was thinking the exact same thing an hour ago. Judd had a bad shoulder prior to being drafted. Some thought "avoid". Turned out he had 2 bad shoulders.

Also turned out he won 2 Brownlows.

FOS only has some finger injuries and a corkie.
I'll give you another one, Joel Selwood, (although don't think he was ever slated as a no 1 pick):

Clubs were hesitant to take on Selwood, after his draft year was plagued by knee injuries. But three flags, three best and fairests, four All-Australian jumpers, a rising star award and a ten-year stint as Geelong skipper later, a few clubs must be asking themselves what might’ve been.

Last edited:
Yep I can’t see how you can pick FOS at 1 on this year’s form. And the year of the draft is the most important year. I watched him play for our VFL side. He was impressive and has obvious class and talent. But he still only got it 11-12 times. I want to see more than that from the no. 1 pick. Smith was in everything all game.
If you watched him play you would’ve known he only played half the game

We are not picking fos on u16 form,he averaged 22.1 dis in u 18s in 2023 was all Australian.
Will 100% make afl ,he's got so many afl traits .

Does Richmond need to be hitting the draft with multiple very high picks rather than a larger number of picks over the top 25? Would that be an option?

North's Pick 2 could be split as they are targeting quality mature players. Richmond likely to have the later first round picks to do any trade here.

West Coast making a play for Bolton with pick 3 being involved is also possible.

St. Kilda or Melbourne looking to split?

What would pick 1 be worth? The most obvious club is Adelaide making a play for Draper which at a minimum would be pick 4 and a future first for pick 1.
Multiple picks in the top 10. Cover all bases. We could end this FOS vs Jagga vs Lalor debate by taking 2 of the 3.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll stop posting about FOS if it bothers people. My last comments are that overlooking him because of injury would be akin to overlooking Judd in his draft.

I've only been this adamant on three other juniors: Trent Cotchin, Marcus Bontempelli, Clayton Oliver.
I feel like I have gone back in time.

Cotchin v Morton all over again.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users