2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Jungle drums have him on top of the board for us.

I hope not, I don't think he's really what we want. He "could" be a Bont, but he also might not be. I reckon with your top 5 picks, you always go with the almost guaranteed 200 gamer (injury permitting) and from what I've seen I reckon Draper, Smith and FOS fit that bill better than Smillie.

It’s going to be an inter3sting couple of months. How much footy will most of these lads be exposed to in that time.?
How many are playing senior footy with vfl clubs?
Draper, how many games will he get?
I suppose a lot of these lads game time will be managed. What other avenues do they have left?
Inter school?, VFL, SANFL, WAFL how many are assigned to senior clubs?

Agree its very open, and whilst that provides some potential great opportunities for sliders, it also could take the player you want off the table.

If the top 3 went Draper, Smith, FOS in whatever order, then Saints would be frustrated with that, as I suspect they would want at least 1 of those 3, as you say to add speed and dynamism to their plodding midfield. Wilson is the start of that change, now they need to add more. Less Seb Ross's, more Sid Drapers.

I think things might get a bit clearer the closer we get to the draft, but I can see Saints trading 1 of those picks higher, trying to get into the top 3, and guaranteeing themselves 1 of those 3 boys.
Would they do pick 4 & F1?
Stk-Draper
Nth-Smillie
WC-Fos or Jagga
Rich-As above

We have to do everything we can to have a minimum of 2 top ten &/or 3 first round picks in this draft. It will be interesting to see how hard Blair is willing to go.

Reactions: 3 users

I reckon that would be a *smile* up that would reverberate for a decade and a half.

I would honestly rather appoint simon lethleon CEO, and subject our junior admin girls to being rooted on the photocopier

Than take Smilie with a top 3 pick

Sorry girls

Jeez theyre *smile*.

So everyone but WC have pretty much wasted time watching him?

How *smile* hard is it to make the change in January?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
We have to do everything we can to have a minimum of 2 top ten &/or 3 first round picks in this draft. It will be interesting to see how hard Blair is willing to go.
Where there's smoke there's fire.
Its either Dan or Shai IMO.
Ballsy move if both but i doubt.

1. Smith (Richmond)
2. Trainor (North Melbourne)
3. Draper (West Coast)
4. O'Sullivan (St Kilda)
5. Lalor (St Kilda) - Josh Battle compensation
6. Ashcroft (Brisbane) - F/S
7. Smillie (Adelaide)
8. Lombard (Gold Coast) - NGA
9. Allan (Fremantle) - via Coll trade
10. Reid (Richmond) - via GC trade
If Saints got FOS and Lalor off the back of losing a C grade player would be highway robbery.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah that's his worth - reckon cos he's not that good. Is far too inside for his size. Needs to develop an outside game and hurt opposition to be an AFL player.

We can do better than him from other clubs.

One who would target is Jaxon Binns from Carlton. He's absolutely smashing VFL football. 36 kicks on the weekend. Still only 19 so unlike Phillips and some others still has plenty of growth.

Elite agility and endurance. Plays that high forward pushing up and back from the midfield role that is so crucial today. Something we badly lack.

Is contracted until 2026, but is at a team very difficult to get into for his role so opportunities limited.

He was a pick 32 and not getting a game. Reckon he if we targetted him with a decent offer both game time and contract, he could be shaken out for not a heap trade wise.
We did interleague and played against Jaxon for about 5 years and can tell you he is/was a Tiger supporter as well.

His Dad and myself had many a conversation about the Tigers at Casey Fields and Berwick v Beacy games. His dad was very one eyed (and ironically hated the blues ) :LOL:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Agree its very open, and whilst that provides some potential great opportunities for sliders, it also could take the player you want off the table.

If the top 3 went Draper, Smith, FOS in whatever order, then Saints would be frustrated with that, as I suspect they would want at least 1 of those 3, as you say to add speed and dynamism to their plodding midfield. Wilson is the start of that change, now they need to add more. Less Seb Ross's, more Sid Drapers.

I think things might get a bit clearer the closer we get to the draft, but I can see Saints trading 1 of those picks higher, trying to get into the top 3, and guaranteeing themselves 1 of those 3 boys.
Great shout, reckon all that makes sense and St Kilda might go for that. I wouldn't tho, I'd hold but I could see them doing that.

At this point clear cut top 3 are Draper Jagga.

I reckon on form over 3 years, those 2 are locks inside 5.

And ashcroft and lombard probably are too.

Then someone gets FOS, lalor, langford, trainor at 5-9,

Someone falls for smilie

Then it all starts again 11-20

With berry, allen, reid, lindsay, sims, travaglia, hotton, kako, armstrong et al

Ive never been able to reel off a top20 top of head.

But then again, i havnt watched a draft this closely for 15 years

Reactions: 2 users
After the Willy game I reckon that Smith might've become our #1 target.

Wonder who will be Norfs and the Eagles just in case the club *smile* the bed and wins another 3 ganes!

Bit of water to go under the bridge yet.

History suggests Blair will not be overly aggressive in trading players for picks.

Reactions: 1 user
I can easily see 4 picks inside 21 (before bids).
1, 21 in the can.
Baker 12ish
Later picks bundled into a teens pick.

With those picks it could be Mick/Nancy, Lindsay/Murph, Chuck Berry and the best tall.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Good opportunity to see Smith live in action tomorrow at the Swinburne Centre.
Unfortunately weather looks ordinary so probably another heavy ground for him.

Hypothetical - say we have picks 12 & 21 (along with pick 1) and we have to pick a tall/small combo with them, would you prefer:

Tall at 12 - Armstrong
Small/mid at 21 - Gross, Hynes, Moraes, Urqhart
Or
Small/mid at 12 - Lindsay, Berry
Tall at 21 - Faull, Sims, Whitlock(s), Shanahan

I’d maybe slightly lean towards option 2 but it’s a tough call

I think I’d lean to Option 2 also. Two best available mids followed by best available tall forward. That’s based on this stage where there isn’t a standout tall from the group that’s warranted separation from the pack. That may change.