2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Boy it grinds my gears that a player like Josh Battle might get the aints a top 5 pick in a draft where there are so many pick 1 contenders

Imagine getting Lalor & FOS
If bakes goes and picks WC,you can bet we will try and get there first pick,even if we have to give up next years first rounder as part of the deal.

Reactions: 3 users
There's a few players in that list I like.

O'Farrell is a big, tall solid marking kid with a good boot. Can play forward or back.

Bowman has a little bit of "something" as a tall hff. Big leap. Clarke is a beautiful kick of the football. Little bit of a Tom Brown clone.

Nicholls. Big upside with him. Maybe the best contested mark in the draft. Can play forward, back and pinch hit in the ruck. Kicking needs work.

Probably don't need a Bowman or Clarke but the other 2 would be handy.

Reactions: 2 users
Ezy Baby dya reckon Draper would be on the Eagle's radar to play on the fast Optus ground alongside Harley.

The Crows late form resurgence may have c ost them Draper.
Would they entertain a trade for our pick 1(Draper}
Pick 1 for 5 & F1?

There's a few players in that list I like.

O'Farrell is a big, tall solid marking kid with a good boot. Can play forward or back.

Bowman has a little bit of "something" as a tall hff. Big leap. Clarke is a beautiful kick of the football. Little bit of a Tom Brown clone.

Nicholls. Big upside with him. Maybe the best contested mark in the draft. Can play forward, back and pinch hit in the ruck. Kicking needs work.

Probably don't need a Bowman or Clarke but the other 2 would be handy.
And Datolli

Would they entertain a trade for our pick 1(Draper}
Pick 1 for 5 & F1?

If I was them I would. There midfield needs more speed and dynamism. They want to keep Rachele and Rankine forward if possible but having to rob Peter to pay Paul by moving them into the middle, they could still to it, but be real impact players in the middle with another classy quick mid. Whether we would do it, I'm not sure, that Pick 5 could slide right back and lose us against to the best mids when we are crying out for them.

I think the furthest we could drop back is 3. Now depending where Trainor is expected to go (and who to), potentially North may be willing to take that Pick 5 and something else to give up their 1st pick (which I think will be 3) and we end up with 3 and a future 1st for our Pick 1. The worry amongst that group is IMO St Kilda. Losing Battle, they may be tempted to go for a mid and then Trainor with the 2nd pick if Battles gets them Band 1 compo.

Boy it grinds my gears that a player like Josh Battle might get the aints a top 5 pick in a draft where there are so many pick 1 contenders

Imagine getting Lalor & FOS
Looked at another way, imagine if FOS and Lalor had to go to St Kilda. Poor kids.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
On What *smile* planet is josh battle worth pick 5?

Is that the biggest over-valuation ever?

So with Lombard, Ashcroft and Battle compo,

Pick 6 this year is actual pick 9 right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
On What *smile* planet is josh battle worth pick 5?

Is that the biggest over-valuation ever?

So with Lombard, Ashcroft and Battle compo,

Pick 6 this year is actual pick 9 right?
Provided both get a pick before 5 yes. The Battle pick is a given. I've said it a long way back , if they want they could lose battle and upgrade him with Trainor in exactly that role. But I reckon Saints go mid-mid at their two picks and they would be praying for Draper and Smith. Pace and zip for their plodding midfield.

Reactions: 2 users
But I reckon Saints go mid-mid at their two picks and they would be praying for Draper and Smith. Pace and zip for their plodding midfield.

Yes praying,

But it would take an omnipotent molly meldrum prophet god

To deliver.

I think jagga and draper go top 3?

• Love
I look at Will Aschcroft and I don't see why Jagga Smith can't follow his trajectory at AFL level.

Yes praying,

But it would take an omnipotent molly meldrum prophet god

To deliver.

I think jagga and draper go top 3?
I honestly have no idea this year who goes where. It's wide open.

There's talk from clubland that Murpgy Reid is in the mix for top 6, there's talk that Trainor is in some clubs top 3, it's so vareid.

Never seen a draft like it. St Kilda are at pick 4-5. They only need it to go Smillie, FOS and Trainor at they get Smith and Draper at 4 and 5.

Reactions: 1 user
Malakai Champin league debut for Subi tomoz

Ill watch and report

Did the aflchange nga rule and hand him to WC?

Reactions: 1 users

There's talk from clubland that Murpgy Reid is in the mix for top 6, there's talk that Trainor is in some clubs top 3, it's so vareid.

Never seen a draft like it. St Kilda are at pick 4-5. They only need it to go Smillie, FOS and Trainor at they get Smith and Draper at 4 and 5.

Smilie does not go top 5

Hes fully fit and done little all year.

Bullied Lions Academy side?

I reckon the side that wants a big aggro mid takes Allen ahead of him

Agree its very open, and whilst that provides some potential great opportunities for sliders, it also could take the player you want off the table.

If the top 3 went Draper, Smith, FOS in whatever order, then Saints would be frustrated with that, as I suspect they would want at least 1 of those 3, as you say to add speed and dynamism to their plodding midfield. Wilson is the start of that change, now they need to add more. Less Seb Ross's, more Sid Drapers.

I think things might get a bit clearer the closer we get to the draft, but I can see Saints trading 1 of those picks higher, trying to get into the top 3, and guaranteeing themselves 1 of those 3 boys.