2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

So basically we’re impressed by everyone.
Yep. If I had some ticketty tocketty, faceless or twit account even I could have managed that level of captain obvious statement n pretended to be some sort of draft guru with inner knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep. If I had some ticketty tocketty, faceless or twit account even I could have managed that level of captain obvious statement n pretended to be some sort of draft guru with inner knowledge.
As an extension of that meaninglessness, phantom drafts. Personally, I find them utterly meaningless as well. They are essentially all the same, all over the country. So somebody ranks Sam Lalor at 6 and somebody else ranks him at 8 or someone else at 7. Big deal ! It's not like anyone is saying Lalor is no good while someone else is saying he is. He's basically being ranked as very good by everyone. And you can apply this meaningless to just about every other player in every phantom draft.

They're all the same. Phantom drafts are as boring as all hell.

What you'd be better off doing when it gets closer to draft time, is listing or predicting the underrated and overrated players relative to their prospective draft positions. That'd have far more substance and be far more interesting to me personally than any cut and paste phantom draft.

And that's what people talk about in years to come anyway, isn't it ? What a bust that pick was....what a bargain that pick was.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
So slightly curveball. Lets say Bolton stays (and I think he will), Freo will turn their attention to Warner. If Warner gives them an indication that he is considering moving, would we swap our future 1st for Picks 6 and 12? Then use them to get another pick in the top 4, in order to try and guarantee we get 2 of Draper, Lalor, FOS or Smith?

BTW might not be a straight swap, we might get something else back in that 2nd trade but thoughts on if we'd consider it? I probably would.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
So slightly curveball. Lets say Bolton stays (and I think he will), Freo will turn their attention to Warner. If Warner gives them an indication that he is considering moving, would we swap our future 1st for Picks 6 and 12? Then use them to get another pick in the top 4, in order to try and guarantee we get 2 of Draper, Lalor, FOS or Smith?

BTW might not be a straight swap, we might get something else back in that 2nd trade but thoughts on if we'd consider it? I probably would.

It is an idea, however I would not be doing it for two reasons
- We are looking at losing experience and taking multiple picks at the draft. As a result our chances of repeating a bottom 4 finish is good and most likely we would be favourites to finish 2025 with the #1 pick. Not trading 2025 first round pick
- Adding another two picks to this year makes for a lop sided age list and headaches in team selections. Thinking we are better off keeping 2025 in tact and then assessing our list needs next year based on further progress of the kids already on the list and how the new draftees go.

Reactions: 2 users
It is an idea, however I would not be doing it for two reasons
- We are looking at losing experience and taking multiple picks at the draft. As a result our chances of repeating a bottom 4 finish is good and most likely we would be favourites to finish 2025 with the #1 pick. Not trading 2025 first round pick
- Adding another two picks to this year makes for a lop sided age list and headaches in team selections. Thinking we are better off keeping 2025 in tact and then assessing our list needs next year based on further progress of the kids already on the list and how the new draftees go.

I think you misunderstood. I don't want to take the 6 and 12 to the draft, I want to use it to trade higher into the draft, possibly something to do with North. I don't think they keep their Pick 3, they will trade down a little bit as they are flushed with mids, they need talls.

If we traded our future 1st for say Pick 2 or 3, isn't that the same as what we get next year, we just get it a year early. There is no guarantee we finish bottom next year either, if we stay injury free, get a run at it with Gibcus, Lynch, TT, Hopper all playing much larger amounts of games next year, then we might not even finish in the bottom 5.

I reckon if theres a time to take the risk, its this year, but thats only if we've already canvassed Norths willingness to part with their top pick for say 2 later picks.

Reactions: 4 users
Geez Draper looks good, more physically developed than Jagga and FOS but he's got it all, except maybe not dual sided by foot.

Highlights from the champs.

I'm a fan of Jagga but it'll be very hard to go past Draper.Went head to head against Smillie at one stage there and beat him too the ball like Smillie wasn't there.Impressive

• Wow
I'm a fan of Jagga but it'll be very hard to go past Draper.Went head to head against Smillie at one stage there and beat him too the ball like Smillie wasn't there.Impressive
I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if Sid’s name was called out.
He’s already had a taste of senior SANFL footy. He played 3 games in 2023 and 3 (I think) in 2024.
SANFL club South Adelaide via Willunga SA (down the road from a few of us here, highly regarded kid)

Reactions: 1 users
It’s the first draft in a long time I don’t have a player in the top 6 or 7 that I want to avoid.

You can talk me into any of them.

Reactions: 8 users
I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if Sid’s name was called out.
He’s already had a taste of senior SANFL footy. He played 3 games in 2023 and 3 (I think) in 2024.
SANFL club South Adelaide via Willunga SA (down the road from a few of us here, highly regarded kid)
It may very well come down too how Jagga performs in the vfl for us.Off too a great start.
Pity the others can't play senior footy.

I think you misunderstood. I don't want to take the 6 and 12 to the draft, I want to use it to trade higher into the draft, possibly something to do with North. I don't think they keep their Pick 3, they will trade down a little bit as they are flushed with mids, they need talls.

If we traded our future 1st for say Pick 2 or 3, isn't that the same as what we get next year, we just get it a year early. There is no guarantee we finish bottom next year either, if we stay injury free, get a run at it with Gibcus, Lynch, TT, Hopper all playing much larger amounts of games next year, then we might not even finish in the bottom 5.

I reckon if theres a time to take the risk, its this year, but thats only if we've already canvassed Norths willingness to part with their top pick for say 2 later picks.
Personally I wouldn’t be trading our first pick under any circumstances. There already looks like some very good talent next year and barring a miracle I think we will be at the pointy end of the draft again. In fact I would be keen to strengthen next years draft hand if possible. This rebuild is going to take time and if we can get elite talent over a few years it should set us up really well going forward.

Personally I wouldn’t be trading our first pick under any circumstances. There already looks like some very good talent next year and barring a miracle I think we will be at the pointy end of the draft again. In fact I would be keen to strengthen next years draft hand if possible. This rebuild is going to take time and if we can get elite talent over a few years it should set us up really well going forward.

I'm not saying trade it out for nothing. I'm saying trade it out essentially for a pick in the top 3 this year, its still a pick at the pointy end of the draft regardless what year its in.

I'm not saying trade it out for nothing. I'm saying trade it out essentially for a pick in the top 3 this year, its still a pick at the pointy end of the draft regardless what year its in.
The club wouldn’t entertain it unless there is a player they desperately want on top of the player we’ll pick with our first.
Then there’s the potential of using our early pick next year as a trade for a free agent or someone like Cadman.
So much future planning required and it’s never an easy solution.
If it was up to me, I’d be holding onto it to see what transpires next year

The club wouldn’t entertain it unless there is a player they desperately want on top of the player we’ll pick with our first.
Then there’s the potential of using our early pick next year as a trade for a free agent or someone like Cadman.
So much future planning required and it’s never an easy solution.
If it was up to me, I’d be holding onto it to see what transpires next year

Yeah agree, but if there are players that could set our midfield up for the next 10 years, then they might be wlling. I think a lot of people are concerned about where we are finishing next year, but the point is out list isn't bottom of the pile list quality. Our injuries have absolutely been a massive impact to that. A fit list could transform our fortunes, and we might not even get a top 5 pick next year, our list this year is probably 8th-13th quality and we've been able to bring some of our kids much needed experience. Get Lynch and Gibcus for 15 games next year and get a jump in quality from a few picks this year and who knows. Thats why I'm thinking strike whilst the iron is hot. Get 2 or Jagga, FOS, Draper, Lalor and move forward. We'll have other picks to take other players a bit later too, just wondering but it could be a viable option.

Obviously if we can't get a top 5 pick out of it, then we wouldn't even entertain it, because of the possibility of missing that pick next year, but if we could get say Pick 3, theres an enticement there to do it and shore midfield stocks up.

Been having a good think about this draft, and musing whether we may actually be better off and the points system is changed and we are forced to take the picks we currently have as opposed to bundling them up for better picks

As it stands currently we have approx

1, 21, 36, 40, 43, 53, 57, 63, 69 These may be up or down a few picks

Using the bigfooty phantom draft of and adjusting for personal preference we would end up with a choice of

1. Draper
21. Harry Armstrong/ Jobe Shanahan
36. Kayle Gerryn / Harry Charlson
40. Thomas Sims / Jonty Faull
43. Benny Barrett/ Lachie Jacques
53. Charlie Nicholls/ Will Hayes
57 Charlie West / Zane Cochrane

As far as points value goes 69,63,57,53,43,40 = 589 + 807 = Pick 32+ Pick 24

Pick 24 Tom Goss
Pick 32 Jesse Datoli

So in summary, are we better off with a draft haul of

Draper, Armstrong, Gerryn, Sims, Barrett, Nicholls, West

or

Draper, Armstrong Goss Datoli, Gerryn

Draper and Smith are the 2 guys for pick one at the moment but alot can change before the draft
Yep ,after seeing what they can do,I think Smith is the every game your clubs best player with his consistency ala Lachie Neale,whereby Draper is your Burst from pack ,carry the ball ala( forgive me 4 saying this),Dangerfield type.

Been having a good think about this draft, and musing whether we may actually be better off and the points system is changed and we are forced to take the picks we currently have as opposed to bundling them up for better picks

As it stands currently we have approx

1, 21, 36, 40, 43, 53, 57, 63, 69 These may be up or down a few picks

Using the bigfooty phantom draft of and adjusting for personal preference we would end up with a choice of

1. Draper
21. Harry Armstrong/ Jobe Shanahan
36. Kayle Gerryn / Harry Charlson
40. Thomas Sims / Jonty Faull
43. Benny Barrett/ Lachie Jacques
53. Charlie Nicholls/ Will Hayes
57 Charlie West / Zane Cochrane

As far as points value goes 69,63,57,53,43,40 = 589 + 807 = Pick 32+ Pick 24

Pick 24 Tom Goss
Pick 32 Jesse Datoli

So in summary, are we better off with a draft haul of

Draper, Armstrong, Gerryn, Sims, Barrett, Nicholls, West

or

Draper, Armstrong Goss Datoli, Gerryn

List balance comes into it too. I think I mentioned this elsewhere, we came into the season with I think 10 talls not including pure rucks on the list, we already have and more even allowing for Grimes to leave etc. I can't see us adding more than 1 tall to the list. I also don't think we will have enough list spots to do as you say. Assuming both Blight and Gray are re-signed (and nothing would suggest that we wouldn't be extending them) then I just don't think we'll have enough list spots to take 7 in the ND.

I think we will follow the strategy the club is employing, and aim for as many picks in the top 20 we can get and aim to retain the 1st pick of the 2nd round. We will either pick up a good player there or potentially get some very good offers on draft night for the pick.

I thought Draper's highlights reel was about the best I've seen from the Champs. With some, it was difficult to see what and who was being highlighted (Smillie for eg). Not to say the others aren't going to be very good players, but Smith and Draper stood out.

To state the bleeding obvious, it would be really, really good to get two in the first ten picks.

Reactions: 6 users
This years draft might not be the year to do this.
Assuming we have the pick 1 and we've traded a player into picks 6 and 12 as you've suggested. Why would we then trade these two picks away for one pick at 3???? This is the draft which is supposedly very even in the top 10 and also chock full of good players within the top 50. Every guru and expert is shuffling their top 10 round in circles and all pretty much being claimed as equally worthy of being in the top couple of picks. So how much better would pick 3 supposedly be than pick 6 when there's 10 contenders? And of course what would be the worth of pick 12, could one of the potential top 10 slide a couple of spots on draft night?

For mine I'd happily take picks 1 - 6 - 12 to the draft this year over picks 1 - 3. Maybe not so much in other years but I reckon from the little I've read about this years draftees, this top grouping of players is way to fat n juicy to go in short.