2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Game was ok. Stats were maybe padded out a bit but he's very very versatile and can clunk a heavy mark.

25-30 maybe.
With a couple of academy - F/S picks in the first round of the draft 25 would put him around our 1st pick of the second round.

Reactions: 1 user
We are going around in circles mate .
You know l rate Lalor a head of Smith for lot's of reasons l have already given in other posts .
I still rate FOS ahead of Smith.

Yes l would take Lalor at one ,which we probably won't end up with ,and l think Lalor would need special permission to play VFL being 17 still for another month .
What risk ,Lalor and FOS are playing now ,how many player's have got injured in their first season of AFL,PREVIOUSLY not being injured in there draft year ,quite a few .
Injuries happen thats football

Yep we're just footy tragics on a website where some watch a lot of junior footy, some not much, we get some right (except Bifoclesford), and some wrong.

That's all cool. It's good fun and banter and we all learn things.

It's also Ok to have different opinions and just accept it.

Geez clubs watch these guys week in week out for years and rank differently so we sure as hell will.

We're all pretty good at that on here these days.

What was Dusty’s aerobic capacity like as a Jnr out of curiosity?
Now whilst Lalor is little chance to be as good as Dusty (then pick 3), thats who Lalor is being likened to & I can see some resemblance in style.
I don’t follow them closely as you know but if there are better options than this kid in the draft then they must be damn good. He looks outstanding to me with that skill set.
Goal kicking midfielders are worth more in the modern game..

He's a talent for sure. Has a lot of great attributes that will translate to AFL level.

Aerobic capacity has reduced the output of many a high pick though.

It may well not be an issue, but how he came back after injury and his solid frame means it is a box recruiters will want to tick off compared to some others.

Reactions: 8 users
Yep we're just footy tragics on a website where some watch a lot of junior footy, some not much, we get some right (except Bifoclesford), and some wrong.

That's all cool. It's good fun and banter and we all learn things.

It's also Ok to have different opinions and just accept it.

Geez clubs watch these guys week in week out for years and rank differently so we sure as hell will.

We're all pretty good at that on here these days.

He's a talent for sure. Has a lot of great attributes that will translate to AFL level.

Aerobic capacity has reduced the output of many a high pick though.

It may well not be an issue, but how he came back after injury and his solid frame means it is a box recruiters will want to tick off compared to some others.
You are bald.

Last edited:
First time I saw Smith, I thought scrawny scrapper… but I’ve changed my opinion after having a closer look.

His footy IQ is very high. He rarely just throws the ball onto his boot, always looking for a better option, and in congestion he has a rare ability to farm the ball to the outside to advantage. In this way he reminds me a bit of Shane Edwards. He has the speed and agility to get into space and buy time.

When he’s not the one farming it out he reads where it’s going on the outside.

He’s a very evenly balanced mid… by balanced I mean he gets the ball on the inside and the outside… you don’t get 30+ possessions in games unless you can do both.

I think he has a skill set we need, as we don’t have enough mids that can buy time for others to use the ball better, I think this is his greatest asset coupled with how often he gets his hands on it.

As mentioned, he reminds me of Shane Edwards, has that rubber man look about him that a lot of indigenous kids usually possess, but much further advanced than Shane was at the same age.

FWIW, I really like Sid Draper too…. He’s another that gets the ball inside and outside and has the midfield speed that we need.

Reactions: 9 users
What was Dusty’s aerobic capacity like as a Jnr out of curiosity?
Now whilst Lalor is little chance to be as good as Dusty (then pick 3), thats who Lalor is being likened to & I can see some resemblance in style.
I don’t follow them closely as you know but if there are better options than this kid in the draft then they must be damn good. He looks outstanding to me with that skill set.
Goal kicking midfielders are worth more in the modern game..
Dustys tank was unders ,use to get 3/4 of his touches in first half if games quite often.
When u add that u18s is 80 minutes and
Afl goes 120 minutes that's quite a difference especially as kids with big tanks in u18s seem to carry through with the longer afl game time.

Kinnear Beatson interviewed by Cal 2me saying the AFL have requested clubs nominate 50 players for the combine and after compiling his list, he indicated that the number of players he had to leave out of their top 50 meant it's a deep draft with lots of good players likely picked up late and in the rookie draft.

Might not be the worst thing if the AFL change the points system by not allocating points to picks after 54. We have a few late picks which weren't worth alot of points anyway and may net some good players in a deep draft.

Reactions: 5 users
Danny has put a lot of miles on the clock through the dynasty.

But like @tigersnake said the other day,

many thought Shaun Burgoyne was a bit cooked when he went to the hawks at 27,

and he played another 250 great games!!!!!!
Daniel the only Richmond player to play all games this year, although he often looks a bit banged up with that ankle he keeps on enduring, nothing suggests his best is behind him

Reactions: 9 users
Beatson also said at the moment there are about 5-6 names that could be pick one and if you had pick one or two you are probably unsure at this stage

Went on to say we haven't had a chance to see FOS yet, due to circumstances beyond his control and Jagga's VFL performance against men was 'special'.

He was then asked what names were in the number one conversation, a bit of a cagey response understandably but he said Draper, Trainor, Smillie, Reid (prompted to say Reid)... presumably didn't mention FOS and Jagga as he had just spoken about them.

Reactions: 3 users
Ive lost track of what we are debating.

To be clear;

1. I think Jagga is a bit of a standout No.1

2. I think Sam Lalor is a clear top 10. Id take him ahead of smilie and ashcroft

3. Sam Lalor could end up a better player than Jagga Smith

4. I really hope both play in blackand yellow jumpers next year

Do you think Lalor is the best player in the pool? Would you take him at 1?

i wish him and FOS wernt injured too and one of them was a lay down misere No.1.

But they were injured?

And im of the school, that picks 1-3 should carry no risk, especially pick 1
I love reading the posts from you guys that obviously spend a lot of time watching these kids play. You map their strengths and weaknesses so well.
The problem is though, the more I read the more I’m convinced that we just have to get both Jagga and Lalor. It’s not going to happen I know and so I’ll be happy and a little disappointed come draft night.

Thanks a lot fellas!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Geez Draper looks good, more physically developed than Jagga and FOS but he's got it all, except maybe not dual sided by foot.

Highlights from the champs.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
A lot to like about the big Gerry.

Gee there' a good crop of talls this year

was thinking the same

Might be a bit like 2009 draft where a player like Grimes slipped through to the pre season draft

Might be the year to have heaps of 2nd and 3rd picks and end up with 2/3 talls that may be the best of the lot.

We are in a good position whether we trade up, or whether the AFL screw us with the point system and we keep our picks

Very interesting draft

First time I saw Smith, I thought scrawny scrapper… but I’ve changed my opinion after having a closer look.

His footy IQ is very high. He rarely just throws the ball onto his boot, always looking for a better option, and in congestion he has a rare ability to farm the ball to the outside to advantage. In this way he reminds me a bit of Shane Edwards. He has the speed and agility to get into space and buy time.

He’s a very evenly balanced mid… by balanced I mean he gets the ball on the inside and the outside… you don’t get 30+ possessions in games unless you can do both.

I think he has a skill set we need, as we don’t have enough mids that can buy time for others to use the ball better, I think this is his greatest asset coupled with how often he gets his hands on it.

As mentioned, he reminds me of Shane Edwards, has that rubber man look about him that a lot of indigenous kids usually possess, but much further advanced than Shane was at the same age.

FWIW, I really like Sid Draper too…. He’s another that gets the ball inside and outside and has the midfield speed that we need.

There may turn out to be better players in this draft,

But i dont see any that carry less risk.

And thats not to say hes vanilla and lack x factor.

Like you say, he does sheds kind of creative stuff.

Im pretty sure he'll line up round 1 whoever takes him, get 20+

And play 250 games and win multiple b&fs and AA's

We arent used to this Pick 1 stuff.

You simply cant *smile* it up.

IMO, its not the pick to go for upside and ceilings,

Its the pick to grab a kid who will impact immediately,

And keep impacting for 15 years

And yes, there do seem to be 5 of em this year

Reactions: 3 users

Nah we love blokes just dumping it 45m with their eyes shut why change now.

Kinnear Beatson interviewed by Cal 2me saying the AFL have requested clubs nominate 50 players for the combine and after compiling his list, he indicated that the number of players he had to leave out of their top 50 meant it's a deep draft with lots of good players likely picked up late and in the rookie draft.

Might not be the worst thing if the AFL change the points system by not allocating points to picks after 54. We have a few late picks which weren't worth alot of points anyway and may net some good players in a deep draft.
I saw this interview as well and he was also glowing of Jagga Smith on the weekend ‘pretty special’ performance against men

Reactions: 1 users
There may turn out to be better players in this draft,

But i dont see any that carry less risk.

And thats not to say hes vanilla and lack x factor.

Like you say, he does sheds kind of creative stuff.

Im pretty sure he'll line up round 1 whoever takes him, get 20+

And play 250 games and win multiple b&fs and AA's

We arent used to this Pick 1 stuff.

You simply cant *smile* it up.

IMO, its not the pick to go for upside and ceilings,

Its the pick to grab a kid who will impact immediately,

And keep impacting for 15 years

And yes, there do seem to be 5 of em this year

Reactions: 1 user
jagga averaged 28 disposals and 3.5 tackles from 10 games in his bottom age Coates year

this year he's 31 disposals and 3 tackles average from 5 games.

over 2 years, he tackles 3.3 times a game

this is more than Dusty (2.7) or $hai (2.9).

close to Sam Walsh(4) and exactly the same as Zac Butters (3.3)

so hes not a prolific tackler (draper got 10 against men on weekend), but the data says he tackles commensurate with his role.

lets look at some kicking Penetration data?

a crude dividing metres gained by number of kicks.

jagga average kick length on Sunday was 27m.

on the same day, Lachy Whitfield was 18m, Jayden Short was 24m, Dion Prestia was 16m and dan Rioli 23m

that data set says myth pretty busted.

which brings us to weight?

they dont tell us weights anymore, but hes about Zac butters and Shai Bolton sized

none are colossal. But if its speed you need, you dont do bench press.

and I really dont see its relevant when a bloke is demonstrably prolific and durable
Shai is only 175cm I’m pretty sure , smith is 181 ,,,I’m sold the kid is a gun , get him in y&b

• Love
Reactions: 2 users