2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Will we get 2 first rounders??

That's the key question. I can't see anyone saying no to 2 first rounders for ANY player on our list. Any draft is a lottery (even the strong ones), but maximising your odds with 2 bites at the cherry significantly reduces your risk.

But a single first rounder? Even if it's top 10? I don't know. Keep the proven genius who can play anywhere on the field who has multiple good years left, or take a kid who might be as good one day?

It's a hard one. I get the need to turn over the list, and if all other things were equaI I'd probably err on the side of caution. But I also get the external factors that make it very clear that if we don't do it soon, our ability to do so will be heavily compromised. And you miss every shot you don't take.

Glad I'm not the one who has to deal with all of this!!

Reactions: 7 users
With reported interest in Phillips, their is no way in he'll tigers would give our pick 22,as this is a really highly rated talented tall we would get.

Reactions: 1 user
I think with Dan is actually quite simple.

IF Gold Coast come to us with an offer of 2 1sts (the lowest 1 then the PP) then we ask Dan his thoughts, if he says no, then its simple. We don't trade players that want to play for us.
IF Dan says he's perhaps interested, then we go back to GC and say Dan's considering it BUT it has to be your 2 early 1sts and we will give them our future 2nd.

We only consider if Dan wants to go, if he doesn't then it doesn't really matter what they offer, we won't trade him.

If he does then we should be open to a trade but only if its their 2 early 1sts and we can give them a future 2nd back. If that value of trade was good enough for Dylan Shiel, then its also good enough for Dan Rioli, who is a much better player, albeit older than Shiel was when he was traded.

Reactions: 15 users
With reported interest in Phillips, their is no way in he'll tigers would give our pick 22,as this is a really highly rated talented tall we would get.

22 (assume you mean 21 as North already has 22) - where did you hear that? Previous trades would indicate a 3rd rounder, so I'd have been thinking Pick 53, 41 at a push.

No way would we trade the 1st pick of the 2nd round for him knowing how valuable that pick has been in the past in trades.

Reactions: 1 users

Coates Talent League top 50 scores - round 15​

PlayerTeamRanking Points
C.Ward(GFFC)184
I.Kako(CCFC)175
X.Lindsay(GPFC)170
J.Smillie(ERFC)165
L.Kennedy(SDFC)164
X.Ivisic(GFFC)161
R.Theodoropoulas(SDFC)157
Z.Johnson(NKFC)150
J.Doherty(DSFC)149
J.Gillard(NKFC)144
D.Pitt(TDFC)144
B.Seers(SDFC)140
X.Kardachi(WJFC)137
H.Langford(DSFC)135
T.McGuane(WJFC)135
J.Baldwin(ERFC)133
D.Uerata(BPFC)132
I.Markovsky(OCFC)132
L.McInerney(NKFC)131
D.Weeks(WJFC)131
M.Whitlock(MBFC)131
J.Walker(GPFC)128
L.Grego(WJFC)127
J.Pike(GFFC)124
P.Said(CCFC)124
G.Stumpf(NKFC)123
J.Shanahan(BPFC)123
D.Hollow(CCFC)120
C.Hynes(DSFC)119
A.McPherson(MBFC)118
E.Ibbetson(GFFC)117
Z.O'Keefe(GPFC)117
M.Roney(TDFC)117
N.Jephson(BPFC)116
C.Moraes(ERFC)115
J.Skinner(GFFC)115
J.Gerardi(WJFC)114
K.Rutley(CCFC)114
L.Jaques(GFFC)114
L.Voss(SDFC)113
J.Barrat(BPFC)112
J.Nguyen(CCFC)110
T.McCluskey(OCFC)109
J.Scapin(GPFC)108
T.Hodgson(NKFC)107
R.Commandeur(NKFC)104
A.Barker(ERFC)102
J.Berry(MBFC)99
O.Greenshields(WJFC)97
S.MacDonald(ERFC)97

22 (assume you mean 21 as North already has 22) - where did you hear that? Previous trades would indicate a 3rd rounder, so I'd have been thinking Pick 53, 41 at a push.

No way would we trade the 1st pick of the 2nd round for him knowing how valuable that pick has been in the past in trades.

Yeah that's his worth - reckon cos he's not that good. Is far too inside for his size. Needs to develop an outside game and hurt opposition to be an AFL player.

We can do better than him from other clubs.

One who would target is Jaxon Binns from Carlton. He's absolutely smashing VFL football. 36 kicks on the weekend. Still only 19 so unlike Phillips and some others still has plenty of growth.

Elite agility and endurance. Plays that high forward pushing up and back from the midfield role that is so crucial today. Something we badly lack.

Is contracted until 2026, but is at a team very difficult to get into for his role so opportunities limited.

He was a pick 32 and not getting a game. Reckon he if we targetted him with a decent offer both game time and contract, he could be shaken out for not a heap trade wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
Yeah that's his worth - reckon cos he's not that good. Is far too inside for his size. Needs to develop an outside game and hurt opposition to be an AFL player.

One who would target is Jaxon Binns from Carlton. He's absolutely smashing VFL football. 36 kicks on the weekend. Still only 19 so unlike Phillips and some others still has plenty of growth.

Elite agility and endurance. Plays that high forward pushing up and back from the midfield role that is so crucial today. Something we badly lack.

Is contracted until 2026, but is at a team very difficult to get into for his role so opportunities limited.

He was a pick 32 and not getting a game. Reckon he if we targetted him with a decent offer both game time and contract, he could be shaken out for not a heap trade wise.

Its certainly a possibility with Binns. We could give Carlton some picks this year for him to help with the Campo twins. Depending on where they finish, they may decide to keep their 1st rounder and then get picks in another way which could include trades such as Binns.

Binns would be a great addition. What do you think we'd need to get him? A similar pick to what they used? We have pick 35

A poster from bf stupidly stated, I'm ok with any round 2 used for Phillips.
We both agree no way as pick 21 is going to get us serious talent.

Its certainly a possibility with Binns. We could give Carlton some picks this year for him to help with the Campo twins. Depending on where they finish, they may decide to keep their 1st rounder and then get picks in another way which could include trades such as Binns.

Binns would be a great addition. What do you think we'd need to get him? A similar pick to what they used? We have pick 35

Yeah reckon about that 30 mark. Or as you say help them out with later bidding picks.

They will likely also be after future picks.

Apparently, they have a couple of likely NGA prospects next year and then Walker is meant to go very early in 26.

So there is that as well.

Coates Talent League top 50 scores - round 15​

PlayerTeamRanking Points
C.Ward(GFFC)184
I.Kako(CCFC)175
X.Lindsay(GPFC)170
J.Smillie(ERFC)165
L.Kennedy(SDFC)164
X.Ivisic(GFFC)161
R.Theodoropoulas(SDFC)157
Z.Johnson(NKFC)150
J.Doherty(DSFC)149
J.Gillard(NKFC)144
D.Pitt(TDFC)144
B.Seers(SDFC)140
X.Kardachi(WJFC)137
H.Langford(DSFC)135
T.McGuane(WJFC)135
J.Baldwin(ERFC)133
D.Uerata(BPFC)132
I.Markovsky(OCFC)132
L.McInerney(NKFC)131
D.Weeks(WJFC)131
M.Whitlock(MBFC)131
J.Walker(GPFC)128
L.Grego(WJFC)127
J.Pike(GFFC)124
P.Said(CCFC)124
G.Stumpf(NKFC)123
J.Shanahan(BPFC)123
D.Hollow(CCFC)120
C.Hynes(DSFC)119
A.McPherson(MBFC)118
E.Ibbetson(GFFC)117
Z.O'Keefe(GPFC)117
M.Roney(TDFC)117
N.Jephson(BPFC)116
C.Moraes(ERFC)115
J.Skinner(GFFC)115
J.Gerardi(WJFC)114
K.Rutley(CCFC)114
L.Jaques(GFFC)114
L.Voss(SDFC)113
J.Barrat(BPFC)112
J.Nguyen(CCFC)110
T.McCluskey(OCFC)109
J.Scapin(GPFC)108
T.Hodgson(NKFC)107
R.Commandeur(NKFC)104
A.Barker(ERFC)102
J.Berry(MBFC)99
O.Greenshields(WJFC)97
S.MacDonald(ERFC)97
Any reason why Finngers O'Sullivan and Lalor didn't play?

Yeah reckon about that 30 mark. Or as you say help them out with later bidding picks.

They will likely also be after future picks.

Apparently, they have a couple of likely NGA prospects next year and then Walker is meant to go very early in 26.

So there is that as well.

A future 3rd and a couple of junk picks in this years draft probably works from our end.

If you take out their 1st, they have 37, 63,, 66 and 71 to match bids on the twins for 704 points. Enough to match a bid in the early 20's, but then couldn't match until around 50. A future 3rd and 57 would give them an extra 182 points in this years draft, enough to match an early 20's pick and then another late 30's / early 40's.

Reactions: 2 users
No we wouldn't.
That'd be like a dog returning to its own vomit.
Look forward to youth with upside, not backwards to aged outside ball butchers.
Extremely disrespectful comment regarding a Premiership Richmond player.

You could also say that Brandon Ellis got paid a *smile* load of money and set his life up after being raised in commission flats because of his football ability. He got the very best out of himself as a player and team orient d footballer.

The bloke ran his guts out for the Tigers up and down a wing in two flags and despite why you think of him, his team mates and the coaching staff loved him. That's because he always has a smile on his face.

You're entitled to your opinion. It's just horse *smile*.

The revisionist history being spouted like it's fact and the disrespect for former and current Richmond premiership players from a bunch of armchair heroes and never beens is as weak as *smile*.

That's my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users

Binns is rubbish.

I'll show myself out

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

You could also say that Brandon Ellis got paid a *smile* load of money and set his life up after being raised in commission flats because of his football ability. He got the very best out of himself as a player and team orient d footballer.

The bloke ran his guts out for the Tigers up and down a wing in two flags and despite why you think of him, his team mates and the coaching staff loved him. That's because he always has a smile on his face.

The revisionist history being spouted like it's fact and the disrespect for former and current Richmond premiership players from a bunch of armchair heroes and never beens is as weak as *smile*.

That's my opinion.
Wasn't intended as a specific comment on Brandon, more a colorful phrase about avoiding recycling tried older players to shore up short term performance, rather than what imo we should be doing, looking for talented youth with more long term upside.
But my bad for poor expression, so I'll cop that.

Reactions: 10 users

That's my opinion.
I met Brando one day at Metricon. He standing in line waiting for his bagel. I walk up and said "Brandon I'm a life long Tiger and I just wanna thank you for everything you did. You like a God to me." He laughed and said no worries it was my pleasure. Good bloke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users