2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but would any of you consider live trading our first pick for next year (or the year after if they bring that rule in) for another first rounder this year?

If there is plenty of depth here early would we back ourselves to not finish bottom 3 next year and try to get another top 5-10 pick this year if there was a player we really liked still on the board?
Nope. Every chance we are bottom 4 next year as well.

Reactions: 3 users
I hear you. But Rioli is a guy who is a key player in keeping the culture we have established. Deledio….
Been thinking about this. Hawthorn held onto their core too long and didn't get into the draft at the top end. But the did move Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell on at the wrong time IMO. No value in them at that stage. It was to allow the kids game time, we havne't done that well (MacIntosh & Pickett). Riloi is the perfect storm for us, GC desperate to bring in real AFL footballers, Dimma with the prior relationship with Danny, any Academy prospect that they need to grab while still getting value out of their first pick. West Coast didn't do anything like this and look at the hole they are in. Collingwood are in the same boat now, they must do something. We have Tasmania looming on the horizon and a draft in front of us that is universally being lauded as deep with quality. Everythign aligns to make the deal. Your culture piece is also null and void, it was Dimma, Peggy, Chief, Trent, Jack, Shedda, Rance, Astbury, Martin, Maric who built the culture. If we are to go again, we must build a new culture, a new version of what was built. New leadership must be found.

If we can get two first-rounders in this draft for Daniel Rioli it would be criminal to not do it. And Satruday night was his best ever game, as brave, as skillful, as smart as you will see from a back flanker. Perfect time to sell. And my gut tells me, Daniel wants it too. He just won't say it.

• Dislike
Reactions: 10 users
Been thinking about this. Hawthorn held onto their core too long and didn't get into the draft at the top end. But the did move Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell on at the wrong time IMO. No value in them at that stage. It was to allow the kids game time, we havne't done that well (MacIntosh & Pickett). Riloi is the perfect storm for us, GC desperate to bring in real AFL footballers, Dimma with the prior relationship with Danny, any Academy prospect that they need to grab while still getting value out of their first pick. West Coast didn't do anything like this and look at the hole they are in. Collingwood are in the same boat now, they must do something. We have Tasmania looming on the horizon and a draft in front of us that is universally being lauded as deep with quality. Everythign aligns to make the deal. Your culture piece is also null and void, it was Dimma, Peggy, Chief, Trent, Jack, Shedda, Rance, Astbury, Martin, Maric who built the culture. If we are to go again, we must build a new culture, a new version of what was built. New leadership must be found.

If we can get two first-rounders in this draft for Daniel Rioli it would be criminal to not do it. And Satruday night was his best ever game, as brave, as skillful, as smart as you will see from a back flanker. Perfect time to sell. And my gut tells me, Daniel wants it too. He just won't say it.

Agree with all of the above. Tasmania is very much the iceberg we're sailing towards, if we don't make the right moves now. And that's not even considering the potential impact of the inevitable draft tinkering from the AFL over the next couple of years.

Question is, will D Rioli really bring two first rounders? Do you still do the deal if it's only a single first rounder?

And will the rank and file supporters be able to see the bigger picture amidst the predictable media headline hunting, and maintain a level of patience with the club and the coach while we take some short term medicine for a long term benefit?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but would any of you consider live trading our first pick for next year (or the year after if they bring that rule in) for another first rounder this year?

If there is plenty of depth here early would we back ourselves to not finish bottom 3 next year and try to get another top 5-10 pick this year if there was a player we really liked still on the board?

Our list will be very young next year especially if we lose Rioli, Baker and Graham. We should have 6 to 8 kids to join the list of those we need to get games into.

This in itself means we are looking at another bottom four finish and back to back # 1 draft picks so I wouldn't think it would be wise to bring the 2025 1st round pick forward to this year. Additionally we have so many coming on board now it is not needed.

With Tasmania coming in in a few years would consider bringing 2026 1st round into 2025

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with all of the above. Tasmania is very much the iceberg we're sailing towards, if we don't make the right moves now. And that's not even considering the potential impact of the inevitable draft tinkering from the AFL over the next couple of years.

Question is, will D Rioli really bring two first rounders? Do you still do the deal if it's only a single first rounder?

And will the rank and file supporters be able to see the bigger picture amidst the predictable media headline hunting, and maintain a level of patience with the club and the coach while we take some short term medicine for a long term benefit?

Wouldn't sell Rioli for anything other than two first rounders with one being top 10

No way 100% of rank and file supporters will see the bigger picture. The calls for Hardwick to be sacked all the way up to beginning of 2017 is proof of that. Not to mention a similar under current bubbling away on Yze now

This is the year to do it.

Been thinking about this. Hawthorn held onto their core too long and didn't get into the draft at the top end. But the did move Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell on at the wrong time IMO.
I don't agree. They traded in a bunch of journeymen when they should have been drafting early, O'Meara, Mitchell, Ty, Wingard et al. that was the issue. Taking too long to move their core, and those players you list were their core (and Roughy was in the seconds), was not the issue.

Thats not to say I'm against trading Danny, just don't think this argument fits.

And the fact Hawthorn have a drafted player-led recovery, Day is the biggie, and not a traded-in journeymen-led avoidance of a downfall, is good lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I don't agree. They traded in a bunch of journeymen when they should have been drafting early, O'Meara, Mitchell, Ty, Wingard et al. that was the issue. Taking too long to move their core, and those players you list were their core (and Roughy was in the seconds), was not the issue.

Thats not to say I'm against trading Danny, just don't think this argument fits.
Taranto, Hopper, Kosi. What's the difference? Step one in the mistake list; tick.

Talking too long ot move on core players. KMac, Pickett, Grimes (the extra year), Tick.

We are dead last and if we don't move Rioli have learnt absolutely nothing. If the deal is there, it would be gross mismanagement to not take two first rounders in a deep draft, two years before Tasmania come in. There is no other argument on this one.

This is the last card we can play or we follow West Coast.

Reactions: 6 users
Taranto, Hopper, Kosi. What's the difference? Step one in the mistake list; tick.

Talking too long ot move on core players. KMac, Pickett, Grimes (the extra year), Tick.

We are dead last and if we don't move Rioli have learnt absolutely nothing. If the deal is there, it would be gross mismanagement to not take two first rounders in a deep draft, two years before Tasmania come in. There is no other argument on this one.

What if Rioli loves the club and wants to be a Tiger for life ? Destroy club to prompt to go

This was my exact query which wasnt answered. Is he the next Jake Stringer?
Nothing wrong with Stringer 358 goals so far in his career ,premiership player, his biggest problem is himself ,lacks maturity.

A question on him - He can obviously find the ball when fully fit. He's shown that.

But is there a question on his aerobic capacity? Is it something that will hinder him more than some others if he cops injuries? Will it take him longer to get that level of fitness up after a break? Is it going to be an on-going challenge getting him aerobically AFL fit.

Reason ask - He blew out a fair bit in size when injured earlier this year. He looked to struggle getting around the ground as a result. He also has a very solid frame that seems to pre-dispose some players from every being big gut runners and making that full time AFL mid transition - Rayner a prime example. Could go on with a lot of others.

That is a concern when talking very top end picks. It's OK to get 30 at Coates level. But being a full time AFL midfielder (which is what you want with pick 1-3 ILO) requires a different level of fitness.
I re read your question,Lalor missed a large chunk of training and wasn't able to do much running ,and l think rushed back a bit to quick to play with mates at school,and the champs being co captain ,the AFL is different as you know,it's full time ,you are around the club a lot doing training or rehab if injured,you have full time professionals at call,proper individual programs .
I think Lalor will thrive in the AFL environment ,he's very level headed ,and high leadership qualities .

A bit left field but if we trade out/ retire a significant number of experience (which we should) and bring in another batch of young guns then we should rookie Joel Garner. Natural leader, protector and wise head. Not too old he couldn't pinch hit if needed in the firsts and already works at the club. Already a de-facto coach and acting captain of the seconds and mentor of our indigenous lads. Build and reward from within.

Reactions: 4 users

Don't agree. I take your point on Hopper and Taranto, but IMO that was based on the legitimate (at the time) view, that we could wring another flag out of our existing core with those reinforcements. It was wrong, but the thinking was sound IMO, other disagree and thats fine.

Hawthorn fundamentally different. They sacked their core, then got the journeymen. And more journeymen than us. It looked bad at the time, in real time, you sack you core, if thats your thinking, then draft right? But no, Clarko's ego couldn't handle a rebuild.

I don't agree we've taken too long. We've had a steady, staged retirement program, as opposed to Hawthorns slash and burn. And it will keep happening pretty quick.

I do take your point, just don't agree.

IMO a lot of this angst comes down to what I reckon is a mistaken belief that everything can be perfectly planned with perfect foresight. It isn't the case, especially after a dynasty. We haven't done anything majorly wrong IMO, and a fair bit right. Plans didn't work, 21 draft and JH and TT, fair enough, but I for one don't think they were bad plans.

We're here now. We're on the bottom, which means early picks, and we've topped up for this draft last year. Its not like we traded a future 2nd last to get Mabs back or anything genuinely stupid like that.

I'm not necessarily against trading Daniel, but I don't see it as a huge move that will decide our fate one way or the other.

We've made 3 big structural moves aimed at transition or rebuild:
1) 21 draft, thinking was sound, excellent even, excecution was the problem
2) JH and TT, A lot of people, including me, thought the thinking was sound. It wasn't. And the move won't be a total loss in any case, they're good players.
3) Preparing early for the 24 draft. We'll see how we go!

1,2,3 combined with the fact he built a triple flag list means that in Blair I trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Don't agree. I take your point on Hopper and Taranto, but IMO that was based on the legitimate (at the time) view, that we could wring another flag out of our existing core with those reinforcements. It was wrong, but the thinking was sound IMO, other disagree and thats fine.

Hawthorn fundamentally different. They sacked their core, then got the journeymen. And more journeymen than us. It looked bad at the time, in real time, you sack you core, if thats your thinking, then draft right? But no, Clarko's ego couldn't handle a rebuild.

I don't agree we've taken too long. We've had a steady, staged retirement program, as opposed to Hawthorns slash and burn. And it will keep happening pretty quick.

I do take your point, just don't agree.

IMO a lot of this angst comes down to what I reckon is a mistaken belief that everything can be perfectly planned with perfect foresight. It isn't the case, especially after a dynasty. We haven't done anything majorly wrong IMO, and a fair bit right. Plans didn't work, 21 draft and JH and TT, fair enough, but I for one don't think they were bad plans.

We're here now. We're on the bottom, which means early picks, and we've topped up for this draft last year. Its not like we traded a future 2nd last to get Mabs back or anything genuinely stupid like that.

I'm not necessarily against trading Daniel, but I don't see it as a huge move that will decide our fate one way or the other.

We've made 3 big structural moves aimed at transition or rebuild:
1) 21 draft, thinking was sound, excellent even, excecution was the problem
2) JH and TT, A lot of people, including me, thought the thinking was sound. It wasn't. And the move won't be a total loss in any case, they're good players.
3) Preparing early for the 24 draft. We'll see how we go!

1,2,3 combined with the fact he built a triple flag list means that in Blair I trust.
Don’t disagree with a lot of this but in my opinion we weren’t aggressive enough in securing low draft picks going all the way back to 2021. Going in with picks in the 20s get you RCD and Dow, not genuine talent. Other clubs were much better at bundling picks. We sat on our ass.
You also have to give something to get something and we’ve neglected our key position forwards for too long. Once Chol left we were criminally exposed and yet we still did relatively nothing other that a few wild swings at the stumps

Reactions: 2 users
Our list will be very young next year especially if we lose Rioli, Baker and Graham. We should have 6 to 8 kids to join the list of those we need to get games into.

This in itself means we are looking at another bottom four finish and back to back # 1 draft picks so I wouldn't think it would be wise to bring the 2025 1st round pick forward to this year. Additionally we have so many coming on board now it is not needed.

With Tasmania coming in in a few years would consider bringing 2026 1st round into 2025
Would we consider bringing back someone like B Ellis who's on the outer at the Suns.
Just for that experience gap we'd be missing if the above 3 leave?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
A bit left field but if we trade out/ retire a significant number of experience (which we should) and bring in another batch of young guns then we should rookie Joel Garner. Natural leader, protector and wise head. Not too old he couldn't pinch hit if needed in the firsts and already works at the club. Already a de-facto coach and acting captain of the seconds and mentor of our indigenous lads. Build and reward from within.
You'll be under consideration Joel.

Don’t disagree with a lot of this but in my opinion we weren’t aggressive enough in securing low draft picks going all the way back to 2021. Going in with picks in the 20s get you RCD and Dow, not genuine talent. Other clubs were much better at bundling picks. We sat on our ass.
You also have to give something to get something and we’ve neglected our key position forwards for too long. Once Chol left we were criminally exposed and yet we still did relatively nothing other that a few wild swings at the stumps
A lot of our picks this year would of been for JUH ,lm sure Blair will try again,or maybe try Cadman,be it next year or 2026.
Geelong didn't get rid of there dynasty player's ,most retired on there terms ,and while l didn't agree with the dads army approach ,it worked for them.
We need to draft this year and hope Toce doesn't stuff it up,and keep looking for younger out of contracts ,and free agents,l still think our best is around the top 8 mark,just need goal kickers.

Reactions: 1 users