2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Come on Ezy ,you have been spruiking Smith for weeks ,has he been playing on wet grounds in that time ,NO.
Lalor as l have said so many times ,is a better kick ,better mark ,a better contested player ,better defensive,better goal kicker ,and has more upside,a lot more.

I bet Lalor as many other coates player's would love to be like Smith ,and be able to train everyday without having to go school ,or for some work.
Smith has finished school last year so he can concentrate on his draft year .
The more l think l think about had Lalor and FOS not been injured for large chunks this year ,the no 1 position would be more clear.

Ive lost track of what we are debating.

To be clear;

1. I think Jagga is a bit of a standout No.1

2. I think Sam Lalor is a clear top 10. Id take him ahead of smilie and ashcroft

3. Sam Lalor could end up a better player than Jagga Smith

4. I really hope both play in blackand yellow jumpers next year

Do you think Lalor is the best player in the pool? Would you take him at 1?

i wish him and FOS wernt injured too and one of them was a lay down misere No.1.

But they were injured?

And im of the school, that picks 1-3 should carry no risk, especially pick 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am starting to get jumpy about dusty going to Gold Coast. Would prefer he stays and finishes a tiger.

However dusty and Rioli and junk picks to gold goast for7 and 10 is appealing to both parties

Also with Fremantle winning and pies losing I think it brings their second pick of 12 on the table for baker. Free would add baker and pick 6 to the list priming them for a serious tilt over next 4 years.

How long are the u 18 championship quarters and how long are Coates league games.

I think Champs are 25 mins quarters flat

And Coates are 20 mins flat?

Consistency between anything applicable to any levels of elite AFL

Will not be counternanced

I am starting to get jumpy about dusty going to Gold Coast. Would prefer he stays and finishes a tiger.

However dusty and Rioli and junk picks to gold goast for7 and 10 is appealing to both parties

Also with Fremantle winning and pies losing I think it brings their second pick of 12 on the table for baker. Free would add baker and pick 6 to the list priming them for a serious tilt over next 4 years.

Dusty is retiring a one-club all time greatest ever at the end of this year

Reactions: 3 users
Apparently, they have a couple of likely NGA prospects next year and then Walker is meant to go very early in 26.

So there is that as well.

Walker is in our academy but has indicated he wants to play for the Blues which is understandable due to his father playing 200 odd games for Carlton

Ive lost track of what we are debating.

To be clear;

1. I think Jagga is a bit of a standout No.1

2. I think Sam Lalor is a clear top 10. Id take him ahead of smilie and ashcroft

3. Sam Lalor could end up a better player than Jagga Smith

4. I really hope both play in blackand yellow jumpers next year

Do you think Lalor is the best player in the pool? Would you take him at 1?

i wish him and FOS wernt injured too and one of them was a lay down misere No.1.

But they were injured?

And im of the school, that picks 1-3 should carry no risk, especially pick 1
We are going around in circles mate .
You know l rate Lalor a head of Smith for lot's of reasons l have already given in other posts .
I still rate FOS ahead of Smith.

Yes l would take Lalor at one ,which we probably won't end up with ,and l think Lalor would need special permission to play VFL being 17 still for another month .
What risk ,Lalor and FOS are playing now ,how many player's have got injured in their first season of AFL,PREVIOUSLY not being injured in there draft year ,quite a few .
Injuries happen thats football

Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge said on their podcast that Lalor might be the one coming for the Number 1 spot.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
I think with Dan is actually quite simple.

IF Gold Coast come to us with an offer of 2 1sts (the lowest 1 then the PP) then we ask Dan his thoughts, if he says no, then its simple. We don't trade players that want to play for us.
IF Dan says he's perhaps interested, then we go back to GC and say Dan's considering it BUT it has to be your 2 early 1sts and we will give them our future 2nd.

We only consider if Dan wants to go, if he doesn't then it doesn't really matter what they offer, we won't trade him.

If he does then we should be open to a trade but only if its their 2 early 1sts and we can give them a future 2nd back. If that value of trade was good enough for Dylan Shiel, then its also good enough for Dan Rioli, who is a much better player, albeit older than Shiel was when he was traded.
All we should ask Dan is where he's going on holidays.
If Dan wants to go he'll tell us otherwise.
We ask the question it could then get awkward if he says no.

I think Champs are 25 mins quarters flat

And Coates are 20 mins flat?

huh, I would've thought the opposite just looking at stat lines - 30+ disposal games are relatively rare in champs, relatively common in CTL - I guess quality of oppo makes a big difference

A question on him - He can obviously find the ball when fully fit. He's shown that.

But is there a question on his aerobic capacity? Is it something that will hinder him more than some others if he cops injuries? Will it take him longer to get that level of fitness up after a break? Is it going to be an on-going challenge getting him aerobically AFL fit.

Reason ask - He blew out a fair bit in size when injured earlier this year. He looked to struggle getting around the ground as a result. He also has a very solid frame that seems to pre-dispose some players from every being big gut runners and making that full time AFL mid transition - Rayner a prime example. Could go on with a lot of others.

That is a concern when talking very top end picks. It's OK to get 30 at Coates level. But being a full time AFL midfielder (which is what you want with pick 1-3 ILO) requires a different level of fitness.
What was Dusty’s aerobic capacity like as a Jnr out of curiosity?
Now whilst Lalor is little chance to be as good as Dusty (then pick 3), thats who Lalor is being likened to & I can see some resemblance in style.
I don’t follow them closely as you know but if there are better options than this kid in the draft then they must be damn good. He looks outstanding to me with that skill set.
Goal kicking midfielders are worth more in the modern game..

Reactions: 5 users
What was Dusty’s aerobic capacity like as a Jnr out of curiosity?
Now whilst Lalor is little chance to be as good as Dusty (then pick 3), thats who Lalor is being likened to & I can see some resemblance in style.
I don’t follow them closely as you know but if there are better options than this kid in the draft then they must be damn good. He looks outstanding to me with that skill set.
Goal kicking midfielders are worth more in the modern game..
I see Dusty in some thing's Lalor does,but he reminds me of Bartel ,who was strong overhead ,good kick ,good with his hands ,could kick goals,and play back,and had a very strong defensive side.
Strong leadership as well.

Dusty has never been strong overhead,one on one he uses his body well,and Dusty has never been manic with his defensive efforts.

I would love to know who taught Lalor to tackle,has a excellent technique .

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Kayle Gerreyn was in beast mode again on the weekend, 30 disposals, 8 marks, 30 hitouts along with 2 goals 3 behinds.
Set shot goal kicking is not great but should be able to be corrected. What number does he get picked? I reckon he's definitely a first round pick.

• Love
Kayle Gerreyn was in beast mode again on the weekend, 30 disposals, 8 marks, 30 hitouts along with 2 goals 3 behinds.
Set shot goal kicking is not great but should be able to be corrected. What number does he get picked? I reckon he's definitely a first round pick.
A lot to like about the big Gerry.

Gee there' a good crop of talls this year

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Yep-He looks a ripper.Could rise like Luke Jackson did.

Reactions: 1 users
Game was ok. Stats were maybe padded out a bit but he's very very versatile and can clunk a heavy mark.

25-30 maybe.