2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Rinse repeat ,his one and only coates game so far this year.

Some terrific stuff. A couple of handpasses were brilliant, that left-hand one over about 10m to a guy running inside 50 was magnificent.

Is a bull, a real ball hunter and reads the play well - got invloved down the line in a few plays - showed a guy staying engaged. And has some speed from the contest.

His kicking - a couple of nice passes but a lot of kicking to the disadvantage of teammates.

Would be wrapt if he was in tigers gear next year.

Reactions: 9 users
A question on him - He can obviously find the ball when fully fit. He's shown that.

But is there a question on his aerobic capacity? Is it something that will hinder him more than some others if he cops injuries? Will it take him longer to get that level of fitness up after a break? Is it going to be an on-going challenge getting him aerobically AFL fit.

Reason ask - He blew out a fair bit in size when injured earlier this year. He looked to struggle getting around the ground as a result. He also has a very solid frame that seems to pre-dispose some players from every being big gut runners and making that full time AFL mid transition - Rayner a prime example. Could go on with a lot of others.

That is a concern when talking very top end picks. It's OK to get 30 at Coates level. But being a full time AFL midfielder (which is what you want with pick 1-3 ILO) requires a different level of fitness.
Prestia runs OK for a thick set guy

Been thinking about this. Hawthorn held onto their core too long and didn't get into the draft at the top end. But the did move Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell on at the wrong time IMO. No value in them at that stage. It was to allow the kids game time, we havne't done that well (MacIntosh & Pickett). Riloi is the perfect storm for us, GC desperate to bring in real AFL footballers, Dimma with the prior relationship with Danny, any Academy prospect that they need to grab while still getting value out of their first pick. West Coast didn't do anything like this and look at the hole they are in. Collingwood are in the same boat now, they must do something. We have Tasmania looming on the horizon and a draft in front of us that is universally being lauded as deep with quality. Everythign aligns to make the deal. Your culture piece is also null and void, it was Dimma, Peggy, Chief, Trent, Jack, Shedda, Rance, Astbury, Martin, Maric who built the culture. If we are to go again, we must build a new culture, a new version of what was built. New leadership must be found.

If we can get two first-rounders in this draft for Daniel Rioli it would be criminal to not do it. And Satruday night was his best ever game, as brave, as skillful, as smart as you will see from a back flanker. Perfect time to sell. And my gut tells me, Daniel wants it too. He just won't say it.
I hear what you are saying and yes if we are wanting to speed up the rebuild process we need to sacrifice one or two premiership players. But you need to be very careful of who it is. I would want it to come from the Rioli camp and not from the club.

However one other thing to take into account is we have experienced players wanting out questions a could be asked why? Is it Yze etc.

On the flip side what if they all decide to stay? The flow on effect could also be massive and a vote of confidence of where the club is happening.

Whatever happens, this trade period will play a big part in how the Yze coaching period shapes up.

Reactions: 1 users
Taranto, Hopper, Kosi. What's the difference? Step one in the mistake list; tick.

Talking too long ot move on core players. KMac, Pickett, Grimes (the extra year), Tick.

We are dead last and if we don't move Rioli have learnt absolutely nothing. If the deal is there, it would be gross mismanagement to not take two first rounders in a deep draft, two years before Tasmania come in. There is no other argument on this one.

This is the last card we can play or we follow West Coast.
Will we get 2 first rounders??

It's fascinating.
I can see all sides of every argument....keep Rioli, trade Rioli, etc. etc. Plus all the rest (baker, bolton). Personally Daniel will hurt more than the other two.
It is pretty much all I have for interest at the moment so I find it interesting but cant say I have a set opinion.
Smarter people than me will need to get this right.

Reactions: 7 users
Would we consider bringing back someone like B Ellis who's on the outer at the Suns.
Just for that experience gap we'd be missing if the above 3 leave?
No we wouldn't.
That'd be like a dog returning to its own vomit.
Look forward to youth with upside, not backwards to aged outside ball butchers.

Reactions: 1 user

Sid Draper has to be in the mix for pick 1. Skill set we lack. Look at the goal, look at the burst.

It’s Jagga with more pace.

Jagga is the man. He has vision the others don’t, speed, handball genius (shedda level) and he can kick it 50 regardless of what people say. I saw it in the vid. Neat short kick, leadership, durability, lateral movement akin to cotch at his best. What’s not to like? Standout attribute- he’s a point of difference. The others can run, can play but jagga has sweet yellow and black piniata in his veins.

Jagga is the man. He has vision the others don’t, speed, handball genius (shedda level) and he can kick it 50 regardless of what people say. I saw it in the vid. Neat short kick, leadership, durability, lateral movement akin to cotch at his best. What’s not to like? Standout attribute- he’s a point of difference. The others can run, can play but jagga has sweet yellow and black piniata in his veins.
The Piñiata !

1721648545256.jpeg

• Love
  • Haha
Would we consider bringing back someone like B Ellis who's on the outer at the Suns.
Just for that experience gap we'd be missing if the above 3 leave?
Brando would be a great addition to our VFL program but I can’t see him playing AFL for us again.