2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

And now for Smillie, who kinda dropped the bundle if these are his "highlights"... maybe because he kept getting called Smile-lee

Man, I am so worried about this kid.
Worried that if we pick him he’ll continue to look like a lazy, entitled bludger, but if we don’t he’ll sort himself out and go on to be the next Cripps or Bontempelli.

Reactions: 1 users
Worried that if we pick him he’ll continue to look like a lazy, entitled bludger, but if we don’t he’ll sort himself out and go on to be the next Cripps or Bontempelli.
I'm not too stressed.
Not many premiers have had very tall midfielders.
And look at the swans, dominant with Warner, rowbottom, gulden, heeney.

Tall is a seductive trait for draft experts.

And there'll be good players we dont pick. Maybe we dont get the absolute gun.
Its ok, we just gotta get 3-4 stars. Even if someone else gets a future cripps

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not too stressed.
Not many premiers have had very tall midfielders.
And look at the swans, dominant with Warner, rowbottom, gulden, heeney.

Tall is a seductive trait for draft experts.

And there'll be good players we dont pick. Maybe we dont get the absolute gun.
Its ok, we just gotta get 3-4 stars. Even if someone else gets a future cripps
Ok Dell, I’ll listen to your sage words and sleep easy tonight.
But I’d really like to luck onto the absolute gun. They make a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok Dell, I’ll listen to your sage words and sleep easy tonight.
But I’d really like to luck onto the absolute gun. They make a difference.

luck has largely been taken out of the equation for Tigers this year.

Its matter of do we get the 1st. 2nd or 3rd best gun

Any recruiter who busts in this top 10 should be dismissed

Reactions: 3 users
How do you get someone to stop being a lazy entitled bludger? Asking on behalf of my wife.

• Haha

There’s no Harley Reid but no duds either as clubs drool over draft pool

Three club recruiters this masthead spoke to said the No.1 pick – long considered to be Vic Country midfielder Finn O’Sullivan or Vic Metro hybrid Josh Smillie – is not as cut and dried in 2024 as it was last season. O’Sullivan remains highly touted, but he battled for form in the under-18 national championships after returning from injury, while the big-bodied Smillie – who looks like a younger version of Hawthorn’s Josh Weddle – has admirers.

The three recruiters consider a range of prospects – such as O’Sullivan, Smillie, Jagga Smith, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, South Australian Sid Draper, and Lions father-son Levi Ashcroft – as worthy top picks, while talls such as Harry Armstrong and Luke Trainor (who has family connections to North Melbourne) shot up the charts after impressive displays in the classic Vic Metro v Vic Country clash at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

jagga.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
luck has largely been taken out of the equation for Tigers this year.

Its matter of do we get the 1st. 2nd or 3rd best gun

Any recruiter who busts in this top 10 should be dismissed
Cam Rayner or Harley Reid?
There’s a chasm between a good player and a great player.
More than ever we need to get this right.
We must get multiple picks in the 1st round. Not sure we’re in a position to take a risk on Smillie with our 1st pick though. He may just be a good player.

Reactions: 3 users
Cam Rayner or Harley Reid?
There’s a chasm between a good player and a great player.
More than ever we need to get this right.
We must get multiple picks in the 1st round. Not sure we’re in a position to take a risk on Smillie with our 1st pick though. He may just be a good player.

I know what you mean

There was plenty (including me) wary of Raynor.

But also, a really good player can be a great player in the right role in the right team.

Ive said for a couple of years Smilie is about a pick 15 talent.

at pick 1, enormous risk,

at 15-20, not much risk.

I dont think hes a bust, just not a top 10 talent, let alone 1

I personally wouldn't hesitate taking Bo Allan ahead of Smile.

Smile isn't Bont, Cripps or Fyfe.

I think Hes Elliot Yeo at best, RCD at worst, but probably somewhere in between.

Josh Weddle is an interesting comparison. You're chuffed with a Weddle at 18, but how do you feel at 1?

I find it quite baffling that you want a tall mid to dominate stoppages,

but he couldn't dominate stoppages in The Champs, where he has the biggest size advantage hes ever gonna have,

and most blokes still have at pick 1.

I know what you mean

There was plenty (including me) wary of Raynor.

But also, a really good player can be a great player in the right role in the right team.

Ive said for a couple of years Smilie is about a pick 15 talent.

at pick 1, enormous risk,

at 15-20, not much risk.

I dont think hes a bust, just not a top 10 talent, let alone 1

I personally wouldn't hesitate taking Bo Allan ahead of Smile.

Smile isn't Bont, Cripps or Fyfe.

I think Hes Elliot Yeo at best, RCD at worst, but probably somewhere in between.

Josh Weddle is an interesting comparison. You're chuffed with a Weddle at 18, but how do you feel at 1?

I find it quite baffling that you want a tall mid to dominate stoppages,

but he couldn't dominate stoppages in The Champs, where he has the biggest size advantage hes ever gonna have,

and most blokes still have at pick 1.
Nothing like Weddle. Weddle was a state level athlete who from day one could run all day. Smillie doesn't have that at all, that's his major knock.

And Weddle will turn into a meaty Nick Blakey clone if he isn't already. He has played wing, CHB, ruck rover and ruck this year. Can go anywhere.

Smillie has one role at this stage, inside mid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nothing like Weddle. Weddle was a state level athlete who from day one could run all day. Smilke doesn't have that at all, that's his major knock.

And Weddle will turn into a meatyNick Blakey clone if he isn't already. He has played wing, CHB, ruck rover and ruck this year. Can go anywhere.

Smillie has one role at this stage, inside mid.

Thanks scoop - yeah i watched weddle play for the first time last week and was impressed but didnt know quite what he was

Would be great if the Wet Cokers could drop to second-last, putting more pressure on North to if they want to make sure they get a certain player, most likely to be Lalor from the sound of it.

Last edited:
Why not two of the key forwards?
Hell..we need two desperately.
That 5 would make us better very quickly.
It is imperative we are aggressive at drafting now!

Saints could possibly get band 1 compo for Battle.

Would you do #1 for their #4 and #5?
Only if we could guarantee Jagga and Langdon..which I think we could negotiate. But...would get 2 dream mids regardless.
So probably a yes.

Last edited: