2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Excellent interview with The Langford.

Tiges fan. Reckoned FOS was the best player in the draft this year citing his skills, footy IQ etc. Said FOS was a great bloke and leader too.

The Langford himself bases his game on the Bont - inside possessions using his big body, going forward and kicking a few goals.

And for those (like me) that had a question on his leg speed, he said the part of his game that he was working on the most was his speed - especially his breakaway speed and ability to chase down an opponent.

Outstanding interview. Level headed, down to earth, determined kid.

Shoulder being sound enough, he should be a good player for someone.
If he makes it the grade by 22 he is in the leadership group.

The kids getting drafted these days are beyond mature.

did you see the package snake posted a few pages back?

he operates like a kelpie in tight.

and most wise men will use the more diminutive Kelpies over Healers on cattle, and plenty will utilise Kelpies to hunt pigs.
What a great description - I haven't even seen footage and when I looked it up it was what I expected. Lean, tough and efficient. Junkyard dog physique (um,...playing days).
I'm a kelpie owner but I would have though in close moving cattle you would go a healer? Anyways....if Toce can land a few quality kelpies mixed with some healers, it will be a good result.

Reactions: 2 users
What a great description - I haven't even seen footage and when I looked it up it was what I expected. Lean, tough and efficient. Junkyard dog physique (um,...playing days).
I'm a kelpie owner but I would have though in close moving cattle you would go a healer? Anyways....if Toce can land a few quality kelpies mixed with some healers, it will be a good result.
Kelpies and Heelers are good, but Border Collies are elite. We need some Border Collies.

Reactions: 1 users
Just don’t get a Jack Russell - they’re uncoachable.

unless you've got a rat and snake problem, in which case they are No.1

Kelpies and Heelers are good, but Border Collies are elite. We need some Border Collies.

Good on sheep in a cool climate if there's a woman about to groom them.

Great on beaches for a single man.

good on a wing

Working Healers went out of fashion with Herefords and The Dean Bros Wreckers pretty much.

you see a few in yards like you say, but Kelpies are ubiquitous in most situations now.

Crosses good.

I didn't really realise when I wrote the simile, how apt it was for footy.

B: Brindle Mongrel Wolf-Hound Brindle Mongrel

HB: Kelpie. Big Brindle Mongrel Kelpie

C: Border Collie. Kelpie. Border Collie

HF: Kelpie Big Brindle Mongrel Jack Russell

FF: Jack Russell. Wolf-Hound Kelpie

Foll: Bull Mastiff, Kelpie, Pit-Bull X Kelpie

Int: Kelpie, Kelpie, Bull Mastiff, mongrel

alternatively if your building a list on the Gold Coast, a heap of labradoodles and golden retrievers and a few rescue greyhounds

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I didn't really realise when I wrote the simile, how apt it was for footy.

B: Brindle Mongrel Wolf-Hound Brindle Mongrel

HB: Kelpie. Big Brindle Mongrel Kelpie

C: Border Collie. Kelpie. Border Collie

HF: Kelpie Big Brindle Mongrel Jack Russell

FF: Jack Russell. Wolf-Hound Kelpie

Foll: Bull Mastiff, Kelpie, Pit-Bull X Kelpie

Int: Kelpie, Kelpie, Bull Mastiff, mongrel
It aint rocket science when you break it down like this. My grandad would have been a gun recruiter

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I agree on your base, but Yze is reluctant to play Bolton through the middle, and has rarely used Rioli through the midfield. He's pushed a little bit higher the last few games, but still largely running off half back. I've wanted to see him in the midfield, but if Yze isn't going to do that, then it opens up the possibility of a trade, as we have options at half back, and need the investment going into pure mids.

My point around midfield players, was you can have TT and Hopper in the middle, but not when you are supplementing them with other slow mids as you have said. Having those 2 isn't the issue, is the next group that is. We could see the difference on Sunday when Shai went into the middle and we lost 1 of those slower players (it was TT due to injury but could have easily have been 1 of the others) whereby we suddenly moved the ball better through the middle and into the forward line (the only quarter where we did better than evens on scoring shots, kicked 4.2). Its what we need more of, I was wanting Rioli to be tried there, but looks like Yze isn't too focused on that one.
Disagree about Hopper and Taranto. Both are very talented but neither are quick enough to keep up with the seven midfields I mentioned in my post above. When played there separately and with quicker players around they become much more valuable, but without some additional speed from other team mates their lack of speed becomes very much an issue.

Bolton and Rioli D are two of our best and fastest, both with the abilirty and stamina to play some extended periods on the ball. Blind Freddy would have them both spending some time there but it seems that for this season at least, Yze and his mates have a different agenda.

But that isn't the future. I am pretty confident we will go to the draft with at least 2 top 10 picks and 4 in the top 25. I'd hope for three 200 game + mids to result and that we will also pick up Davidson and Ell Nour.

Your suggestion that we can do better with more picks and without Dan Rioli and or Bolton, because Yze won't play them as mids, overlooks the additional value that will come from an injection of this years draft talent.

It also overlooks the massive loss to the team of these two who are now in their prime.

I expect Coulthard, Cumberland, Dow, Grimes, McIntosh, Prestia and Sonsie to finish up and for 3-4 others not including Balta Bolton and Rioli D, to be traded.
25% of the list. That already is massive.

If ol' Flagmantle is correct, what can we expect to get from WC for Bakes?

Pick 3 for Bakes and 21

then possibly 3 for Freo's 7 and 14

or even 1 for GC 7 and 8.

3, 7, 8 would be a good hand if we knew our main man was there at 3 (probable given Norf take Trainor)

we should be aiming for 4 picks inside 15

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So...

Out:
Bakes and Pick 21

In:
Picks 7 and 14

Is that a good deal?

I'd be hard not to get two really good players this year with 7 and 14, ( or 7 and 8!).

so if we can deal for one really good 25 year player out

for two really good 18 yo players in,

its hard to see that not being a win?

I might be dreaming? Hypothetical trading's never been my strong suit.

but I reckon given the quality of this years first round and where our list is at,

we should be aggressively aiming to get our first ranked player in the pool plus 3 more first rounders this year

* it will annoy me a bit if Bakes doesn't just choose Perth and let us auction him. RFC made him.

Last edited:
Disagree about Hopper and Taranto. Both are very talented but neither are quick enough to keep up with the seven midfields I mentioned in my post above. When played there separately and with quicker players around they become much more valuable, but without some additional speed from other team mates their lack of speed becomes very much an issue.

Bolton and Rioli D are two of our best and fastest, both with the abilirty and stamina to play some extended periods on the ball. Blind Freddy would have them both spending some time there but it seems that for this season at least, Yze and his mates have a different agenda.

But that isn't the future. I am pretty confident we will go to the draft with at least 2 top 10 picks and 4 in the top 25. I'd hope for three 200 game + mids to result and that we will also pick up Davidson and Ell Nour.

Your suggestion that we can do better with more picks and without Dan Rioli and or Bolton, because Yze won't play them as mids, overlooks the additional value that will come from an injection of this years draft talent.

It also overlooks the massive loss to the team of these two who are now in their prime.

I expect Coulthard, Cumberland, Dow, Grimes, McIntosh, Prestia and Sonsie to finish up and for 3-4 others not including Balta Bolton and Rioli D, to be traded.
25% of the list. That already is massive.

When did I ever say anything about Bolton? I have NEVER advocated trading Bolton, save that for the Carters of this world.

Yze doesn't seem to want to try Rioli in midfield, maybe he thinks he can't transition into that role, and he could be correct. I've repeatedly said that we should try him there, but I also said IF we aren't going to, then the trade has merit, if it nets us 2 picks in the top 10 even if we have to give something back.

It doesn't overlook anything, we have a set number of midfield positions. I've never really wanted to trade Dan, and am absolutely against any trading of Bolton, but Dans age does come into it a touch too, as does having Smith in the wings.

I'm sure you've read my posts on here, I've been expecting at least 4, maybe 5 picks inside 25 this year, but we potentially could spread that a bit more over 2 years should a trade for Dan be valuable enough. Obviously if he says he doesn't want to leave, we wouldn't entertain any trade whatsoever anyway, we aren't that type of trade, but I totally reject that you can't play TT and Hopper together, just look at the midfield we just played, Green and Coniglio, neither of them are quick, are all the Lions mids quick? How about the Swans? Nope. The point is, you need a balance and my point was, we absolutely COULD play TT and Hopper together, but you need speedy or evasive mids to play with them.

I'd be hard not to get two really good players this year with 7 and 14, ( or 7 and 8!).

so if we can deal for one really good 25 year player out

for two really good 18 yo players in,

its hard to see that not being a win?

I might be dreaming? Hypothetical trading's never been my strong suit.

but I reckon given the quality of this years first round and where our list is at,

we should be aggressively aiming to get our first ranked player in the pool plus 3 more first rounders this year

* it will annoy me a bit if Bakes doesn't just choose Perth and let us auction him. RFC made him.
Yeah. It was more the losing of the Pick 21 that made me not so thrilled.

Bakes for 7 and 14. Yes please! While that is probably overs, I don't know if it is overs when he is playing his best footy.

Interesting times ahead.

Yeah. It was more the losing of the Pick 21 that made me not so thrilled.

Bakes for 7 and 14. Yes please! While that is probably overs, I don't know if it is overs when he is playing his best footy.

Interesting times ahead.
Well Bake's better get back to playing some good footy as his form is average, if I were WC no way I give up pick 3 and they could still end up as spooners and pick 1

Reactions: 3 users
yeah i think WCE giving up pick 3 wont happen unless we give a pick in the first 15 back. Even that might not be enough.

If pick 3 is off the table, what else could they give us that we will be happy with?