2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I agree on your base, but Yze is reluctant to play Bolton through the middle, and has rarely used Rioli through the midfield. He's pushed a little bit higher the last few games, but still largely running off half back. I've wanted to see him in the midfield, but if Yze isn't going to do that, then it opens up the possibility of a trade, as we have options at half back, and need the investment going into pure mids.

My point around midfield players, was you can have TT and Hopper in the middle, but not when you are supplementing them with other slow mids as you have said. Having those 2 isn't the issue, is the next group that is. We could see the difference on Sunday when Shai went into the middle and we lost 1 of those slower players (it was TT due to injury but could have easily have been 1 of the others) whereby we suddenly moved the ball better through the middle and into the forward line (the only quarter where we did better than evens on scoring shots, kicked 4.2). It's what we need more of, I was wanting Rioli to be tried there, but looks like Yze isn't too focused on that one.
Rioli. Another one of Yze's bizarre decisions where player management, selection, subs, roles etc is concerned.

At least give it a go given the glaring need.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree on your base, but Yze is reluctant to play Bolton through the middle, and has rarely used Rioli through the midfield. He's pushed a little bit higher the last few games, but still largely running off half back. I've wanted to see him in the midfield, but if Yze isn't going to do that, then it opens up the possibility of a trade, as we have options at half back, and need the investment going into pure mids.

My point around midfield players, was you can have TT and Hopper in the middle, but not when you are supplementing them with other slow mids as you have said. Having those 2 isn't the issue, is the next group that is. We could see the difference on Sunday when Shai went into the middle and we lost 1 of those slower players (it was TT due to injury but could have easily have been 1 of the others) whereby we suddenly moved the ball better through the middle and into the forward line (the only quarter where we did better than evens on scoring shots, kicked 4.2). Its what we need more of, I was wanting Rioli to be tried there, but looks like Yze isn't too focused on that one.
We had 53 insides 50's compared to 36,,we get the ball into the forward line it's our finishing thats the problem .
We need better forwards .

Reactions: 3 users
Someone previously mentioned Kayle Gerreyn.I’d love him at the tigers.Big,aggressive,lovely hands and neat disposal.Could shoot up the boards if he finishes strongly in the wafl.

That was me. Takes a real good pressure mark. No problems when he has to stand under it. Can play ruck or forward.

WAFL form a watch.

I like Gerreyn a lot, set shot goal kicking is a bit iffy.

Another tall who didn't make the WA under 18's is Lucas Ravenhill. I saw him live a couple of months ago while watching my mates son playing. He takes a pretty good grab and looked to be an ok kick. He comes from the same neck of the woods as Blight, McGovern and Darcy Cameron to name a few, they produce some good talls down that way.

Reactions: 5 users
I am sure its been noted, but my 10 yo last night pointed out that only four Pick 1's have won a premiership and only one has a Brownlow (Adam Cooney).

Very sobering...

Surely not too much to ask that replacements for Dusty, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance be picked in this draft :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am sure its been noted, but my 10 yo last night pointed out that only four Pick 1's have won a premiership and only one has a Brownlow (Adam Cooney).

Very sobering...
This is the issue with bottoming out and thinking the new shiny draft picks will get you a flag.

We had 53 insides 50's compared to 36,,we get the ball into the forward line it's our finishing thats the problem .
Correct. Put Riewoldt and Lynch in that forward line and we beat the Giants comfortably.

My other issue out of Sundays game and most of the year is our inability to transition defensively.

Correct. Put Riewoldt and Lynch in that forward line and we beat the Giants comfortably.

My other issue out of Sundays game and most of the year is our inability to transition defensively.
our pressure and skills ( esp kicking skills) drops off significantly during the game the longer the games goes the further behind we fall on effort and skills ............its fixable with the right type of player

Reactions: 1 user
Jagga looks a Butters clone. Do you take a Butters with pick 1?

2018 was a pretty good top 12

Walsh
lukosious
rankine
m king
rozee
b King
Bailey smith
Nick Blakey
Zac Butters

you could argue all day, but I wouldn't be doing g too much hand wringing if Id taken Butters at No.1

Reactions: 2 users
Jagga is a agile machine,kicks beautifully and obviously has a monster tank,and even better,he appears durable.
Outstanding traits, very hard to pass on.

2018 was a pretty good top 12

Walsh
lukosious
rankine
m king
rozee
b King
Bailey smith
Nick Blakey
Zac Butters

you could argue all day, but I wouldn't be doing g too much hand wringing if Id taken Butters at No.1
Was and still not a big fan of the King Bros,but then again lm not a fan of forward/ruck types .
They can be great one day and a big liability the next .
I guess if they have a premiership medal they have done there job.

Jagga is a agile machine,kicks beautifully and obviously has a monster tank,and even better,he appears durable.

durability is a very underrated quality.

Reactions: 2 users
Was and still not a big fan of the King Bros,but then again lm not a fan of forward/ruck types .
They can be great one day and a big liability the next .
I guess if they have a premiership medal they have done there job.

ben king could win the Coleman this year in a poor, soft, side.

your a hard marker.

But I do like some mongrel in talls, I kind of agree.

We all have different tolerance thresholds in different areas.

Ive got absolutely no tolerance for inside mids who hack kick in hope.

its why I mark w.ashcroft so hard, when hes clearly a very good player

its also why I love jagga probably more than most?

I just love the offensive creative users

Forwards, I want to kick goals. 2-3 a week, every week.

which is why I'm big on Joe Berry

who would be your top 3 in that top 2018 dozen?

id probably go Butters Walsh Blakey

probs B.King at 4?

Last edited:
His agility and ability to mop up a contested and loose ball look elite.

Reactions: 4 users

You'd get a better result from those inside 50's with say Lynch and Riewoldt in there, but watch the game back again, and specifically look at the QUALITY of those inside 50's, in particular in the 1st 3 quarters. The stats throughout the game were very similar but the thing that was most obvious at the ground was their ball use was multiple times better than ours, thats to cut through the midfield and then deliver inside 50.

If you can't see that that needs to be addressed then you aren't watching properly.

His agility and ability to mop up a contested and loose ball look elite.

did you see the package snake posted a few pages back?

he operates like a kelpie in tight.

and most wise men will use the more diminutive Kelpies over Healers on cattle, and plenty will utilise Kelpies to hunt pigs.

there's a clearance at 1.59 of the clip, where he gets a ball he should really not have got, hes surrounded, and so just puts it in reverse and steps into space.

he has that rare power to hypnotise the opposition with unpredictability and athleticism .

I reckon the prodigious accumulators who also have copious head shaking highlights are quite rare.

thats why I think hes a contemporary of JHF, Harley Reid and N Daicos

Last edited:
You'd get a better result from those inside 50's with say Lynch and Riewoldt in there, but watch the game back again, and specifically look at the QUALITY of those inside 50's, in particular in the 1st 3 quarters. The stats throughout the game were very similar but the thing that was most obvious at the ground was their ball use was multiple times better than ours, thats to cut through the midfield and then deliver inside 50.

If you can't see that that needs to be addressed then you aren't watching properly.
And you answered what l said ,if we had a riewoldt or Lynch in the forward line we get a better result ,we need better forwards and smarter b grade ones .
We have never really been a great side entering into the forward line ,lots of bombing over the years ,but we had player's with nous who knew their role .
The other thing is we don't find space very well to lead into,l put that down to the coaching,we need a coach who understands connection between the mids and forwards and has played forward before,preferably a former premiership player.

GWS have used 33 players this season (so have Carlton, Essendon, and Geelong). Sydney have used 30. Freo, Hawthorn, Port have used 34.

Tiges have used 41.

It's no coincidence that we're struggling to find connection across the park, and the teams that have had continuity in their available list look to be well-drilled and cohesive.

Improved skills and more polish will always be welcome, but without team continuity they'll only deliver incremental benefit. So bearing that in mind, I'd be looking at drafting skilled players with a proven ability to stay on the park. No speculative shots on sliders who have sat out half the year with injuries. Sometimes you just have to play the odds.

Reactions: 8 users
ben king could win the Coleman this year in a poor, soft, side.

your a hard marker.

But I do like some mongrel in talls, I kind of agree.

We all have different tolerance thresholds in different areas.

Ive got absolutely no tolerance for inside mids who hack kick in hope.

its why I mark w.ashcroft so hard, when hes clearly a very good player

its also why I love jagga probably more than most?

I just love the offensive creative users

Forwards, I want to kick goals. 2-3 a week, every week.

which is why I'm big on Joe Berry

who would be your top 3 in that top 2018 dozen?

id probably go Butters Walsh Blakey

probs B.King at 4?
He can win 10 colemans,but premierships are what it's about .

Berry seems a good player ,but l would like to see him at a stronger level ,l know a player like Kako will be good,even Day Wicks if he can get over the me me attitude ,and l could see the beast from the east Cody Anderson being a good Mid/forward .

My pet hates are players like Lids ,all offense ,very little defense ,he got away with heaps under Wallace ,being the golden child ,got away with a bit under Dimma for the first couple of years ,until Dimma wanted a bigger defensive emphasis .
Tambling was Wallaces whipping boy ,l was surprised at doing this comparison with Bolton .

• Wow